PRS DG 30 & Vintage Melody Maker - Another Great Combination.

László

Too Many Notes
My son stopped in on his way back to LA, as he's been working in NY. While there, he picked up a 1964 Gibson Melody Maker. I have to say, this old Melody Maker is a great match for the DG30.

One single coil pickup, one volume, one tone, all mahogany. The guitar's finish is very seriously worn. In other words, it's his kind of guitar. He loves that real-deal, relic finish that comes from 50 years of being played, instead of a few days being sanded and treated with razor blades and steel wool.

We set it up through the DG30, my pedalboard, and the matching DG 212, and I have to say this:

Tone Heaven.

Seriously, it sounded fantastic, in a way that only 50 year old slabs o' wood with aged pickups sound. The pickup had that crisp single coil attack, but the guitar's sound through the amp was also full, rich and open. It was an incredibly good match. I was so entranced, and so busy listening to him play (and playing myself!) that I forgot to record it. So you'll just have to take my word for it. The combination had some serious vibe!

The DG30 is a vintage sounding amp that brings out the best in a truly vintage guitar.

Incidentally, the purpose of the thread is to reinforce what a great amp the DG30 is, regardless of what guitar one plays. Not to tout old Melody Makers.

I just want to be clear on that. It's about a great PRS amp.

Incidentally, the purpose of the thread is to reinforce what a great amp the DG30 is, regardless of what guitar one plays. Not to tout old Melody Makers.

I just want to be clear on that. It's about a great PRS amp.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to report you.

Back