PRS Custom 24 vs Custom 22 - why would anyone get a CU22 when they can have a CU24?

I like both.

The mids on the 24 fret guitars seem a little more focused, but the balance of frequencies on the 22 fret guitars sounds different, and equally good.

No reason not to have both, especially because I get paid for my sessions and it's true, if there's money that high on the neck, I sure haven't ever seen it! ;)

Tone. The neck pickup is further away from the bridge on the cu22. Makes for a warmer neck pickup.
It's warmer because the neck pup pole pieces are almost directly below where the first harmonic of the open strings has its maximum amplitude, half the distance between the 12th fret and the bridge saddles. That's where the 24th fret is & hard to have a pickup and fret in the same place.

Seconded.

Just to mention it, the slug coil has a stronger magnetic field than the screwcoil and I think sounds better when a humbucker is split.

When splitting coils in a humbucker I leave the slug coil "full on" and switch the screw coil off.

Although as soon as the parts arrive today I'm going to work some more on the partial split method and do a partial split with a CTS push/pull tone control on the John Suhr SSH+ pickups in my '00 CE22. That's the one I got cheap because the previous owner replaced the pickups, and messed everything up.

I also like the sound of turning the humbucker around so that the slug coil is next to the end of the fingerboard.

In my PRS guitar CE22 with the rotary switch, #2 is the two slug coils and #4 is the two screw coils.

#2 sounds much livlier and gives a strattier tone.

Last edited:
I like both.

No reason not to have both, especially because I get paid for my sessions and it's true, if there's money that high on the neck, I sure haven't ever seen it! ;)

I found a quarter stuck to a pickup once but I don't think that's the same thing!

My first PRS in the 90s was a CU24 and I never really bonded with it in general. I hadn't tried a 24 fret guitar until the last month or so when I purchased a CE24 and I'm loving it! I would never get rid of my CU22s (or any other 22 fret PRS) but I'm definitely more open to 24 frets now.

Well, they are different guitars as pointed out. I have both, and must say I prefer the 22 over the 24. It is an ergonomics thing. The position of the neck and body feel more compact, natural to me. Also: I like the stoptail and the neck angle that comes with my CU22.

I have a 24 as well and really like it. It looks friggin hot, plays great and sounds thick.

All the instruments I make are 24 , the vast majority of the ones I've purchased have been 22 . The Westie to me has the perfect combination of 24 fret and 24.5 " scale . fit's my hand the best

Back