PRS Custom 24 vs Custom 22 - why would anyone get a CU22 when they can have a CU24?

cookster

Please educate me. I am such a huge fan of the 24 frets. I think Paul's original model built from 85 to 90 is the PERFECT guitar. The perfect hybrid blend of a Les Paul and a Stratocaster. Setup tip: float the term and get some Pyramid nickel wound 10's (green package!). That will get you some Jerry Wolf tone! I just don't get why anyone would want a 22 fret model. There's no difference in scale. Why not get another 2 frets? Do they sound different?

Tone. The neck pickup is further away from the bridge on the cu22. Makes for a warmer neck pickup.
This. And with the pickups a bit farther apart, all sounds utilizing both sound different as well. Not better, just not the same. Which is why we need 22 and 24 fret guitars.

And BTW, try a core Santana one of these days. A shorter scale 24 fret beast of a guitar!

Please educate me. I am such a huge fan of the 24 frets. I think Paul's original model built from 85 to 90 is the PERFECT guitar. The perfect hybrid blend of a Les Paul and a Stratocaster. Setup tip: float the term and get some Pyramid nickel wound 10's (green package!). That will get you some Jerry Wolf tone! I just don't get why anyone would want a 22 fret model. There's no difference in scale. Why not get another 2 frets? Do they sound different?
All guitars sound different which is why there are so many variations not just in the PRS lineup. In the eighties quite a few guitar manufacturers were selling 24 fret guitars I happen to like and use that versatility. A CU24 gets everything I need out of a guitar but I also have others that fill a different need or In sone cases a want. It’s preference.

I prefer 22 frets. That just sounds better to me.

That location of the neck pickup sounds like what I'm used to hearing after playing 22 fret Gibsons most of my life.

That, for me, is the main difference between a CU22 and a CU24: the neck pickup sounds deeper in a CU22.

Custom 22's with a wrap around bridge get a different sound than a CU22 or 24 with a vibrato.

My '95 CU22 has the wrap around bridge and sounds a little deeper, fuller and more solid than my CE22's.

All of my CE22's have bolt on necks and a vibrato, and that changes the tone too.

Hotter pickups seem to sound better in my CE's.

The same set of Duncan Antiquitys that sounded great in my CU22 sounded thin and less than great in my CE22.

I think you lose some bass with a PRS or Fender vibrato.

Both of these are from 1995. Top shot is my CE22 followed by my CU22.

Been trying out the new amber lampshade knobs on the CU22. I like them alot!

Last edited:
I much prefer a 22 fret guitar. I also like the sound of the neck pickup better with 22 frets. I also feel a bit too cramped on the upper frets of the 24 fret guitars. I have a few 24 fret guitars buy many more 22 fret guitars. Part of this could be that I started playing on a 22 fret guitar and played them for years before I got my first 24 fret guitar. I used to take my CU22 and CU24 to gigs together. I always had an adjustment period when I picked up the CU24. When I would switch back to the CU22 it just felt right immediately.

Back