PRS Custom 20.... Effects Loop....and Amplitube?

n24re

Enjoying the ride...
OK....all you purists ignore this post.

I am curious if anyone has run any effects software through your effects loop on any of your amp?

I have tried some different "pedals" on Amplitube and would like to put them in the loop on my Custom 20 to see how it sounds. This might not be possible but it would be neat to be able to try different pedal models and see what I like before I buy the actual pedal....or would I need to even buy a pedal.

Has anyone ever done this?

Steve

TBH,

I've never heard of anyone trying this before, so let me preface this with blissful ignorance...IIRC, FX software is digital, and your amp FX loop is analog. Without a converter, this would be difficult if not impossible.

Amplitube is typically used for recording where your guitar signal is put through an audio interface (or amp/mic/cab sim). I think Amplitube (the software plug-in) is considered a collection of virtual instruments (effects), modeled after the effects' namesakes.

Trying to determine what effect would be good from Amplitube would be pointless. Your better solution is to simply view YT reviews of each effect (or their close or distant relatives) and determine what effect would be more suitable.

everyone here knows better than me, but i’ve done this with preamp line out to the machine and back into the amp loop; worked fine. also works with software instruments.

It should work fine as long as the levels on your interface are right. You may notice a bit of latency though.

hmm, I must be a purist who didn't know he was a purist. I wouldn't even try it. Even IF it's ok to feed pre-amp level signals into a computer... nah. I wouldn't.

Ideally, you’d want to convert the instrument level signal coming from your amp to line level, with the right impedance, and that coming from your interface back to instrument level. There are boxes that do this.

The effects loop expects certain impedance sand level, as does the interface. Withou both, you increase the noise floor.

You may also need to use an isolation transformer box to eliminate any ground loops that cause hum and buzz.

There are a few amps that don’t seem to need this level and impedance conversion. It’s kind of a “try it and see” thing.

Back