PRS Cu24 FLoyd Rose i need help

Col.Custard

Hello everybody!

I have been reading posts on this forum for awhile now and ive learned alot referring to these pages while learning about my prs. I created this account specifically for the hope that one of the many knowledgeable people who frequent this forum would be able to help solve my current guitar crisis. I apologize for the long post! just trying to provide as much info as possible

Relevant Info; So i just purchased a 2017 usa floyd rose cu24. amazing looking feeling and sounding instrument. i mean this thing sounds absolutely stunning, especially on the higher registers and even despite the pickups not being my favorite. i am having an unreal amount of trouble although dialing out string buzz on the low E and A strings on fretted notes mostly. im certainly no pro tech or anything of the sort but have been learning how/doing my own setups for the past few years now and have plenty of experience with floyd guitars and im generally happy with the way my guitars play. i am close to tearing my hair out after a full week of working on this guitar every night trying different adjustments.

i just got rid of another floyd guitar which i purchased to make my new main guitar. that set up super easily for me but went back due to other issues. the prs arrived at my door with a backbow in the neck and the action was pretty high so i was forced to do a setup, i understand stuff gets knocked out of whack in cold temps, which it was shipped in(both bought from an online vendor)

as of now i have tried..

-setting the neck relief and action to spec. .01 of relief at the 8th fret and 2/32 action at the twelfth fret on the bass side (which if my google skills r on is 1.5-1.6mm?)if my understanding of factory spec is incorrect please by all means let me know but this results in a good bit of buzz on the lower frets

-setting the neck relief increasingly straight while also adjusting the bridge to keep action around 2mm-1.5mm and even got to the point where the neck was rrreeeaaall close to perfectly straight. still buzzed without super high action

- setting the neck with increasingly more relief while adjusting the bridge accordingly which yielded less lower fret buzz but ended up making the low E rattle when played open with anything other than barely hitting it once i got up to .015 of neck relief at spec action and the high frets felt too high(at which point i decided i need help =p)

im using feeler gauges and coins to measure until i can go purchase a decent way to measure so im sure my given values are off to some degree. i always went by feel and sight before this and when tried on this guitar it would always buzz a good bit on the lower frets when the action and neck felt "right" the nut is shimmed alrdy with 3-4 thin pieces of metal, unsure of the measurement there or if more may be needed

thank you for any and all responses and sorry again to start here with a book...

like 95% sure, it goes away if i pick further up the neck above the 24th fret or higher (guessing because of greater string tensioin at that spot when fretting), also i can reliably move my ear around the frets when fretting and the noise is always coming a fret or two ahead of the fretted note and is worst when picking between the pickups, now i have experienced some other odd vibrating noise that occasionally would pop up while adjusting/retuning that sounded nothing like fret buzz but im pretty sure that was the springs and/or something vibrating in the control cavity

i also noticed last night the A strings seems to have the worst fret buzz compared to the other strings although low E certainly isnt great, dunno if that means anything
soon as i get a day off from work im probably going to have a tech check it out but really considering just returning this guitar which sucks cause the place doesnt have anymore core usa floyds in stock so ide have to compromise. Ive hear so much about how these guitars are playable out of the box and are easy to set up, that hasnt been my experience and makes me nervous there is something really wrong with the guitar.

also will PRS evaluate the guitar if i send it to them without costing an arm and a leg, i would send it to the vendor but after my experience with them and the last guitar i ordered i have zero confidence in their ability as they missed all kinds of stuff that should have been checked and just seemed to have not read any of the emails i sent detailing the previous guitars issues. absolutely never ordering a guitar online again after this

so i just tried shimming the nut with a business card because im running out of ideas, i could be mistaken but it seems to have slighty lessened the buzz, it is still there if i pick harder than SUPER soft but maybe progress? have to go to work now but might try shimming it further when i get home tonight. from everything i can tell it seemed to have proper nut clearance before the shim but cant hurt to try right!

so update: i had my guitar at work (good job) and was just looking around it and discovered the nut is slanted in the slot and it is lower on the bass side. could this be a possible cause? going to remove my shim and make sure i didnt cause that and if it is still the same will shim only the bass side will report back if it fixes the problem for reference

From what I hear you saying the OPEN low E and A buzz but its fine fretted ( or better up the neck a bit )
You are correct in shimming the nut ( but don't use paper ) I have had many Floyd equipped guitars that the nut was too low

sorry im all scatter brained i may have mistyped ive literally been neglecting sleep trying to fix this, the problem is not so much open string buzz i can still play at a reasonable strength and those wont buzz but frets 1-7 on the low E and A buzz terribly. the nut looks uneven and im taking pictures now to post so hopefully that helps diagnose the issue, thank you so much for the reply this is making me screwy! i tried it tonight at practice with .016 of relief and higher than spec action and the buzz was very audible through my amp on the clean channel. taking those pics now
also the shim didnt help much it did seem less but not entirely gone and the strings had plenty of clearance on the first fret

Look closely at the nut and the arc of the nut slots the bass side appears to be lower than the treble with the treble seeming to go off of the radius

20170312_224615_zpsd4omqybw.jpg~original
20170312_230052_zpsefj6si5v.jpg~original

final update: put the guitar to factory spec and took it to a lutheir who checked all kinds of stuff and determined most likely theres sympathetic vibrations happening somewhere in the floyd bridge and would take a good deal of searching to determine the exact cause. contacted the vendor today and am returning for a custom 24 with a prs trem instead. the last OFR i had came with stripped screws and burs on the fine tuners and now this one seems to be the source of my woes. go figure the part not made by prs is the issue! will post pics of new guitar when it arrives =)

Look closely at the nut and the arc of the nut slots the bass side appears to be lower than the treble with the treble seeming to go off of the radius

20170312_224615_zpsd4omqybw.jpg~original
20170312_230052_zpsefj6si5v.jpg~original

I know I'm too late, but would rotating the nut 180 degrees help? Typically you want the low strings a little higher, so could that be by design, but it's installed backwards? I'm not a Floyd guy, so just brain storming.

unfortunately floyd nuts are slanted down towards the tuning pegs so reversing it would probably not give enough clearance, might be a fun experiment tho to see what it would do

also thanks to everyone for your help and replies and all is well that ends well, im sure i could have tried for warranty work or such things but i think the universe might be telling me to let the floyd dream go for now... and even though things didnt work out for this guitar it showed me what a prs can play and sound like and i was blown away by it especially how it sounds on the higher frets so full and rich :eek:

Back