Prs CU 2014 or PRS CU 30th anniversary

banbguitar

I'm having a dilemma choosing between a 30th anniversary model versus a 2014 custom 24. I like the added aesthetic features included in the 30th model. Can anyone give me their opinion on the pros and cons of either option?

Thank you.

It's a matter of personal tone taste of course, but for me, the 30th, with the 85/15s is far and away best.

Other than the bling, they're identical except for the pickups.

I have a 30th CU24 as well, and like Aristotle, I love the 85/15 pickups. But I can definitely see someone choosing the 2014 model instead. Both are great.

There's non-artist package color choices in the 2014s that are not available in the 30th anniversary models. The price is higher on the 30th anniversary models. You don't get the bling or pickups on the 2014 though. The color choice ultimately swayed me to the 2014.

I have an older one (which I love), but if I didn't, I would be all over the 30th's. From what I can tell, the 85/15's are destined for pickup greatness and I love the particular aesthetic appointments.

Thank you for the response DHW. You are absolutely right - I found some incredible colors in the 2014s out there that are pushing me toward getting one instead of the 30th anniversary. The 30th bling is quite nice though :)

Thank you for the reply AaeCee. I play in a cover band ranging in classic rock, to contemporary pop music, Latin Rock etc. I wish I could objectively be able to assess both sounds - don't think I can go wrong with either pickups wise.

I wish I could objectively be able to assess both sounds - don't think I can go wrong with either pickups wise.
Well then, sounds like you need one of each! Maybe not right away, but eventually! So buy one of them now, and in a couple years, get the other! If you get the 30th anniv model now, you will ensure you get the bling and 85/15s at retail, non-collector prices. OTOH, if you get the 2014 now, you can take the chance the 30th anniv loses the "shine" of the special year and may be available used or NOS at the same price as a 2014 or 2016.

Back