PRS CE Blood Orange Smokeburst?

Bandersnatch

Hi all. New to these forums. Been wanting a PRS for a very long time but was never in a fortunate enough position to own one until now, so I picked up this CE yesterday and it's amazing.

I do have a question about the finish though. I know that this is not a standard finish and PRS does do limited runs of these finishes but I can't find any other one like this through google. Does someone know anything about a run of Blood Orange Smokeburst CEs? Here's pics I took yesterday.

Congrats and welcome aboard! SO....what's your next PRSi???

Sweet top!
I have this and the SVN in red. Originally, back in September, I had put in an order for an S2 CU24 in Whale Blue which the store didn't have at the time and I was quoted a timeline of March of this year. That guitar never came and this one was put on sale so I cancelled the S2 CU24 order and went for this instead. I'll probably still buy an S2 later this year or sometime next year. Then, once I pay off some debts and replace the furnace in my house, I'll probably go after a Core CU24 in a purple finish.

Doing a little more digging on the finish, I suspect that the store had this mislabeled as a Blood Orange Smokeburst when it's actually a Scarlet Red Burst, but I'd like to hear from members of this forum or someone who has better knowledge of this than I do.

Yeah, it looks more like a Scarlet Red Burst/wrap (technically a wrap, because there is no scraped natural binding).

But having a burst on the back too? That is a new one to me, as far as CEs go. I thought it would have been solid black.

Either way, cool guitar!

Yeah, it looks more like a Scarlet Red Burst/wrap (technically a wrap, because there is no scraped natural binding).

But having a burst on the back too? That is a new one to me, as far as CEs go. I thought it would have been solid black.

Either way, cool guitar!
The closest analog that I could find to this guitar was on The Music Zoo if I googled "PRS CE Scarlet Red Burst" but that one also has a solid black back. This guitar is just a mystery!

Being a PRS dealer for 10 years I can also say that the back of this CE24 being a bursted finish is very strange. My guess is it most likely is a Wood Library run from a particular dealer and trying to find a comparison might be nearly impossible. As far as the Blood Orange finish it is hard to say. Looks like a Scarlet Smokewrap but Blood Orange is a very difficult finish to capture in a picture, most times the pic makes the guitar look more red than it actually is.

Being a PRS dealer for 10 years I can also say that the back of this CE24 being a bursted finish is very strange. My guess is it most likely is a Wood Library run from a particular dealer and trying to find a comparison might be nearly impossible. As far as the Blood Orange finish it is hard to say. Looks like a Scarlet Smokewrap but Blood Orange is a very difficult finish to capture in a picture, most times the pic makes the guitar look more red than it actually is.
Thanks for your input. I don't know about it being a Wood Library because I definitely didn't pay more than the standard CE price here in Canada. The finish on the back is really throwing me off too. As for the reddish colour, even in person it does look more red, but that could be just an optical anomaly in the way the human brain processes colour when that colour is surrounded by a darker colour. Here's a link to the dealer's page of the guitar where it doesn't look as red.

I've emailed PRS customer service with those photos and the serial number. Hopefully, I'll get a response that answers some questions.

I just spoke with The Arts about this. What they told me is that sometimes PRS does a run of test finishes, then Paul has a look at them and decides if he wants to continue doing, but they keep them in the backroom stock to offer to dealers as something unique to have on their walls and PRS offered this guitar to The Arts. The Arts also dug out the box and looked at how it was labeled from PRS and it was labelled as a Blood Orange Smokeburst. So this guitar is likely a test run that was done around the time that the limited run of these guitars as the serial numbers are close.

I'm still waiting to hear back from PRS or any other information I can get my hands on.

Last edited:
Interesting. My local music store is a The Arts.
You in Newmarket, Ontario?
Interesting. I used to live in Beeton, which makes Newmarket the nearest bigger town/small city, the next step up from Alliston. I used to go to Newmarket a fair bit to shop at the mall, etc.

No real guitar stores in Alliston - one small music store on the main drag, I remember the owner or staff member looking a heck of a lot like Jimmy Page of that exact time (1990s).

So if I was still in the area, I would likely have visited The Arts if I had known it existed. But back then, I worked in Brampton (that's an interesting commute in the winter!), so Brampton stores were where I typically shopped. (Never did buy a PRS until I moved to the States.)

Good to hear we found out the provenance of the color & back-burst. Cool! I love one-offs / prototypes (but I have none of my own).

I'm just up in Barrie but I've dealt with The Arts since they were on Davis.

Interesting. I used to live in Beeton, which makes Newmarket the nearest bigger town/small city, the next step up from Alliston. I used to go to Newmarket a fair bit to shop at the mall, etc.

No real guitar stores in Alliston - one small music store on the main drag, I remember the owner or staff member looking a heck of a lot like Jimmy Page of that exact time (1990s).

So if I was still in the area, I would likely have visited The Arts if I had known it existed. But back then, I worked in Brampton (that's an interesting commute in the winter!), so Brampton stores were where I typically shopped. (Never did buy a PRS until I moved to the States.)

Good to hear we found out the provenance of the color & back-burst. Cool! I love one-offs / prototypes (but I have none of my own).

The Arts has been around for a very long time. They had a smaller storefront on Davis St back in the 90s and early 2000s, then moved into their own building on Eagle St.

I'm just up in Barrie but I've dealt with The Arts since they were on Davis.
Interestingly, I used to live in Barrie - basically the entire 1980s, 1980 through 1992 when I moved out after getting married and buying a house.

The Arts has been around for a very long time. They had a smaller storefront on Davis St back in the 90s and early 2000s, then moved into their own building on Eagle St.
Hmm, I wonder if I ever did wander in - seems like it would have been feasible given the timeframes.

Ah, nostalgia, it isn't what it used to be!

Back