PRS 513 Private Stock how these Changes affect guitar?

Dakari

Hi,

I was thinking about getting a private stock PRS 513. And I was curious as to what opinions/knowledge the forum has on the changes that I am considering making. Specifically how it will affect the tone and the feel of the guitar. i.e. neck size frets etc. Basically I want a Les Paul neck on a PRS! If that's possible and does negatively affect the guitar.

Changes:
semi-hollow
smaller frets possibly similar to dunlop 6230
24.75" scale length
24 frets might be optional haven't decided, but I'm considering

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I think you will find you can pick your neck from things that they make, but be constrained from arbitrary changes.
For example you can choose from the contours they offer that you consider closest to a Les Paul.
I know they have 24.5, 25 and 25.25 scale - I have a vague recollection of some other scale, but it might have been on a one off.

You have a lot of concerns about frets and neck profiles expressed in several posts here, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I honestly think your best bet is to call one of the dealers who does a lot of Private Stock orders so that you can get authoritative answers to your questions.

If you look at the "Authorized PRS Dealers" part of the forum, you'll find several who have experience ordering Private Stocks; based on personal experience ordering one, I can highly recommend Northeast Music Center, but there are other very good ones as well.

As well-intentioned as we Forum members are, the dealers have the real-deal info you need. And the best ones are very familiar with what you can do.

As an aside I'm confident that fret size will not be a problem on a private stock order, but I know nothing about what they will do re: neck profiles.

You have a lot of concerns about frets and neck profiles expressed in several posts here, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I honestly think your best bet is to call one of the dealers who does a lot of Private Stock orders so that you can get authoritative answers to your questions.

If you look at the "Authorized PRS Dealers" part of the forum, you'll find several who have experience ordering Private Stocks; based on personal experience ordering one, I can highly recommend Northeast Music Center, but there are other very good ones as well.

As well-intentioned as we Forum members are, the dealers have the real-deal info you need. And the best ones are very familiar with what you can do.

As an aside I'm confident that fret size will not be a problem on a private stock order, but I know nothing about what they will do re: neck profiles.

Yeah you're probably right; however the salesmen in my area actually aren't very knowledgeable. That's why I've been asking here. Thanks for help!

So you want 513 electronics and Pickups, but in a double cut with 24.5 scale length? Well that would be pretty wild!

I think you will find that you start with a model based on scale length first and then order the special electronics.
For example order a DC 245 (trem or hardtail) with 513 Electronics and pickups. Rather than a 513, with a 24.5" scale length. Your dealer and the PS Team will guide you through it. You can get any neck carve you desire, that won't affect the price.

You say it will be pretty wild, is that in a good way or bad? lol:) I guess my vision would be similar to the santana model. But I still prefer the traditional prs body style. I'm just dreaming for now looking at all possibilities. That includes other brands as well. Thanks for imput! :)

This is what I think.
The 24.75 inch scale length is going make the pick ups less clear while making it easier to bend strings. Since 513 pups are already a bit muddy, that probably is not going a good direction with tone. Semi-hollow will open that up a bit.

On the other hand, you're going in the direction of Brian May's Red Special with the shorter 24.75" scale length and semi-hollow. The Red Special has a 24" scale length with a 24 fret walnut neck and fretboard and an oak semi-hollow body with mahogany veneers to make it appear to be a solid body guitar. It's a 24 fret guitar. Walnut is a pretty bright wood and oak can give it more of a percussive feel like spruce which might compensate for the muddiness of the pick ups. So, why not go for it and go after the PRS version of the Red Special?

Last edited:
Back