PRS "30" Tone Journey

CelticDave

Hey all! I've been responding to another post about the "30" amp and thought I'd start my own vs. highjacking that one.

I bought this amp while in Germany last year (U.S. spec/120V) and didn't play it much bc I didn't want to run it through the transformer I had over there. It came to me super clean and seemingly all-stock, aside from some mismatched tubes. The seller said he'd busted a few when taking them out, apparently they rolled off a table, so he threw in whatever he had. Has the WGS ET65 in it.

I'm hoping you all can give me some insight on this amp. I've only seen one other with the "stealth" (all black) front and have yet to see any with an FX loop. I'm wondering if it was a custom order back then.

***Edit: PRS confirmed the FX loop was not standard and this one was a special order.

If you all are into it, I'll post more thoughts and pics as I get some new tubes and take a look under the hood. IIRC, Paul said these are the "sleeper" amps of the line. It sounds good now, but I'm thinking some matched glass will be a good place to start IRT seeing what I can squeeze out of it.

iV390am.jpg

WacNWS1.jpg

ebJOEo9.jpg

Last edited:
I heard from PRS today and this one was ordered with the FX loop, although these didn't come with it stock. Will be posting some more pics soon, maybe even some vids, but came across this and wanted to share:

I’ve never played a 30 before, but every PRS amp I’ve owned likes the treble turned up kinda high, and usually don’t need much from the bass control. They usually have a lot of gain, too, I tend to put lower gain V1 tubes in mine, ranging from just a slightly lower gain 12ax7 than what came stock, to a 5751, or even a 12ay7.

I’ve never played a 30 before, but every PRS amp I’ve owned likes the treble turned up kinda high, and usually don’t need much from the bass control. They usually have a lot of gain, too, I tend to put lower gain V1 tubes in mine, ranging from just a slightly lower gain 12ax7 than what came stock, to a 5751, or even a 12ay7.

Interesting about the treble control. I’m keeping it at noon or lower on this one, but I also go for a punchy “creamy” tone. With the bright switch on, it goes into Fender’ish blackface territory, which can get shrill if not EQed right.

Interested to see how this worked out for you, how do you like the amp after using new tubes?

Well, the store sent me a wrong tube! Was waiting on the replacement before posting. I went ahead and installed the new EHX EL84s and did hear a notable difference. It went from being quite stale to being musical with much more sustain.

Was just contacted by someone about selling it, but will put this new tube in tonight and check back in. :D

Yes - same for my 2CH 50. I found the drive channel too quick to go from zero to scream, missing that edgy crunch I was looking for. Put NOS Mullard 12aT7WA's (ECC81's) in V1 and 2. It's now a different amp, with tighter bass response, and feels great to play.

The good news is NOS Mullard ECC81's are available at little more $$ than current production glass, and have a clarity and detail that works well in the 2 CH50. Good, balanced ones are still available

Now that I know how to tame the drive if it's too quick to max out, I am seriously considering an almost new "30" available here in Europe

Last edited:
Back