PRS 2X12 cab

William McClain

First post on this forum. Was looking for more info on a PRS cab I just bought. Haven't seen any on the internet in this color and was just wondering if it indeed has the Vintage 30's and what year it was made. I could take off the boat load of screws on the back of the cab, but thought this might be easier. Would appreciate any info on my new cab. BTY is sounds great. Using the amp on my Marshall DSL-40 right now.
PRS%20cab.jpg

If you have a power driver, it will only take a few minutes to take off the back and be sure. Unless it came from a dealer (possibly even then) speakers could have been changed.

If it's stock, it should have PRS-custom V30s. It should be made of solid pine - you can probably tell that simply if it's light weight compared to a plywood cab.

Because of the color, it probably dates from when PRS was making the "Tuxedo" amps, and I think that began in 2010, but I dont remember how long they did that for. It's a few years old. They're great cabs if it's what I think it is.

If it's stock, it should have PRS-custom V30s. It should be made of solid pine - you can probably tell that simply if it's light weight compared to a plywood cab.

Because of the color, it probably dates from when PRS was making the "Tuxedo" amps, and I think that began in 2010, but I dont remember how long they did that for. It's a few years old. They're great cabs if it's what I think it is.

Ok thanks when I googled "Tuxedo" I found more pics. Think it was made in 09 according to the PRS website. Now I'm wanting to take the back off and confirm whats inside...I know this whatever is in there, they sound great..I think I'm ok.. Thanks for your help...

Took my back of to see for sure what was in there. 27 screws later I found a nice pine box with fingerjoints and the correct speakers....django49 put doubts in my mind.

vin30.jpg

vin302.jpg

Sorry to cause any grief......I have vivid memories (many years ago) of someone TRYING to sell me a Fender Dual Showman cabinet with 2 15" JBLs. Sorta top of the food chain way back then........Something looked a bit wonky, so I insisted on seeing the labels. We had no powered screwdrivers, so had to do it all manually on a HUGE cabinet. Sure enough, it was a pair of cheap ass RadioShack speakers with silver cones glued on. Shoulda seen them scramble to deny knowing anything about it!

Glad to hear it is exactly what you wanted!

No problem, After hearing them first I knew there was good stuff in there....Now I know for sure, was gonna take the back off last night but saw all those screws and said this can wait. Got an unexpected off day today so I went for it.

Couldn't be happier with my purchase. Don't know if you can post prices on this forum but got it for a great price too.

That's a great cabinet. It's true that you never know what speaker you'll find in a used cabinet.

I bought a used PRS 1x12 in paisley from guitar center. When I brought it home it sounded terrible. I took a look inside at the speaker and it wasn't a Vintage 30, but had been replaced with an 8 ohm cheap speaker. The cabinet is labeled as 16 ohm. Guitar center has a 30 day return policy, so I told them about the speaker. My options were to return the cabinet for a full refund or to buy a new speaker from them at their cost, which is about half price of retail. I really like the paisley so I bought a Vintage 30 for it and it sounds excellent.

In hindsight, I wish I'd have bought something different, like an EVH speaker. But, in my defense, I didn't know at the time that I would someday have a 2x12 in paisley with the same speakers.

Last edited:
Back