Prototype

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Can’t remember if I ever posted this before but my PRS 4x12 cab is an early one, maybe from NAMM. Has Celestion prototype speakers in it. Assuming it is a modified vintage 30 of some sort. I emailed about it and was told I’d have to email Celestion to get the details. I never ended up contacting

IhXRPWZ.jpg

Cool! There was a thread on here somewhere from a couple of years ago talking about the “modified” V30s that PRS uses. Something about the gasket, or ring, where the cone attaches, if I remember right.

Sweet!!! That's cool. I often prefer the "tweaked" Celestions over the factory speakers. Bad Cat has a killer modded Vintage 30 that I could use for eternity. I'd love to hear that set you have.

Interesting. Just the other day I pulled the V30’s out of my PRS open back 2x12, got to comparing them to another pair and didn’t see any difference. But, I think it’s a pretty early cab, and it may have been made before they modified them? I wasn’t sure how I could check on that, so actually that photo helps, thanks!!!

Edit: actually, I’m pretty sure this cab must have been made pre-2013, so they must be non-modded V30’s. The guy I got it from also had a matching “H” head (apparently used to be MA Pete’s) and the H was replaced by the Custom 50 in 2013. Of course, I could just look at the build plaque on the cab, but I’m on vacation this week!

Last edited:
Sent an email to Celestion. Got an auto reply the person was on leave til 10-7-19. Will see if I get any info sometime after that.

Sent an email to Celestion. Got an auto reply the person was on leave til 10-7-19. Will see if I get any info sometime after that.

Rick from Celestion frequents TGP. You could try to hit him up there. If you look he should be easy to find because his user name is Celestion something...

"Celestion101" at The Gear Page is Rick Skillman from Celestion. Look up a post by him and it even has his phone number in his signature

Here’s the reply from Celestion:

Hi Vaughn - it’s a custom special, and a prototype sample at that, so I'm not really at liberty to give you any detailed info.

However, from a brief look, it's got a 35oz magnet, so a little bit different from a Vintage 30 in at least that regard.

Regards,

The Doc
Dr. Decibel, Celestion
—————————————
So it’s got the same size magnet as a gt-75. The front of the speaker appears to be vintage 30, at least the dust cap size. It is rated at 240 watts(on the cabinet tag, at least). So maybe a V30 type speaker with a 75 magnet? Sound wise, I’ve always thought it was smoother than a V30, less mid spike. My other cabs with V30’s are 8 ohm cabs and I don’t have another 4x12 fully loaded with V30’s to compare to.

Here’s the reply from Celestion:

Hi Vaughn - it’s a custom special, and a prototype sample at that, so I'm not really at liberty to give you any detailed info.

However, from a brief look, it's got a 35oz magnet, so a little bit different from a Vintage 30 in at least that regard.

Regards,

The Doc
Dr. Decibel, Celestion
—————————————
So it’s got the same size magnet as a gt-75. The front of the speaker appears to be vintage 30, at least the dust cap size. It is rated at 240 watts(on the cabinet tag, at least). So maybe a V30 type speaker with a 75 magnet? Sound wise, I’ve always thought it was smoother than a V30, less mid spike. My other cabs with V30’s are 8 ohm cabs and I don’t have another 4x12 fully loaded with V30’s to compare to.

Celestion could call it the “Vaughn Special”!:D

Last edited:
Vaughn, it’s actually cool that you have that, and it’s interesting that Celestion did work with PRS on a custom version. I wasn’t sure.

Back