Prototype

Vaughn, it’s actually cool that you have that, and it’s interesting that Celestion did work with PRS on a custom version. I wasn’t sure.
It is interesting for sure. I’m curious as to what the cab would sound like with regular V30’s. Or at least PRS final version of their V30. I’ve tended to prefer the Celestions with 50 oz magnets for my sound like the V30 and H30, I’m curious what affect the magnet alone has. I’m tempted to load a couple in the top or bottom of the cab but don’t know if I have any 16 ohm speakers to swap in. I guess I have a couple 2x12’s that are 8 ohm load, they probably have 2 16 ohm in parallel.

Last edited:
It is interesting for sure. I’m curious as to what the cab would sound like with regular V30’s. Or at least PRS final version of their V30. I’ve tended to prefer the Celestions with 50 oz magnets for my sound like the V30 and H30, I’m curious what affect the magnet alone has. I’m tempted to load a couple in the top or bottom of the cab but don’t know if I have any 16 ohm speakers to swap in. I guess I have a couple 2x12’s that are 8 ohm load, they probably have 2 16 ohm in parallel.

Beats me how that’d be, it’s been a very long time since I did any speaker swapping!

One thing I’ve learned is that you can’t just assume something like “bigger magnet = more XX”. Too many moving parts in the construction of a guitar speaker, and all influence the tone (plus the non-moving ones). You can make “general” assumptions, but if Celestion won’t confirm or deny any other changes, WHO KNOWS?

So, by default, I just compare any new speakers to all my “known” speakers and then compare and contrast from there.

One thing I’ve learned is that you can’t just assume something like “bigger magnet = more XX”. Too many moving parts in the construction of a guitar speaker, and all influence the tone (plus the non-moving ones). You can make “general” assumptions, but if Celestion won’t confirm or deny any other changes, WHO KNOWS?

So, by default, I just compare any new speakers to all my “known” speakers and then compare and contrast from there.
The who knows is why I wanna know!:p
Plus, I don’t know any of the speaker is V30 based. Just guessing because the total wattage is the same and they put V30’s in most other cabs from that time. I have a PRS bigmouth 2x12 that does have whatever version of the V30 they use. I kinda wanna swap those into the top of the 4x12 to see if I hear a difference. I would close mic and record it as well. Not sure if I have enough down time to do all that right now though.

Plus, I don’t know any of the speaker is V30 based.
Oh ok. I misunderstood. I thought it otherwise looked like a V30 but with a bigger magnet. When you take one out, if you can, takes some pics from the front, the cone code, the spider, etc. We'll see what we can figure out about it.

Or, Someone slip Shawn a $3 bill to spill some insider info. ;) (And $50 says that Paul still remembers the details and what they did with those!)

Oh ok. I misunderstood. I thought it otherwise looked like a V30 but with a bigger magnet. When you take one out, if you can, takes some pics from the front, the cone code, the spider, etc. We'll see what we can figure out about it.

Or, Someone slip Shawn a $3 bill to spill some insider info. ;) (And $50 says that Paul still remembers the details and what they did with those!)
Nah, just that it looks similar from the front through the grill cloth. Good idea though. I’ll take pics of both speakers when out.

Nah, just that it looks similar from the front through the grill cloth. Good idea though. I’ll take pics of both speakers when out.
have you seen cone codes? I never asked previously because of my misconception about it being a big magnet V30. Those are easy to lookup.

on the back side of the speaker cone. You should be able to see them through the basket.

Or, look for codes stamped on the back side of the basket/frame

So the first pic is a PRS v30 from my 2x12, second is the 4x12 prototype sample speaker. From what I’ve read, the letter is the month built, the last 3 digits(444 on both speakers) is the cone type. Haven’t figured out anything on what middle numbers might mean. This info is nothing official from Celestion, just digging online, so no idea if it’s correct.

pSDdGp4.jpg

5B1SVfG.jpg

Further, I don't think it would surprise anyone to hear that PRSh likes to experiment with things. So, I wouldn't "assume" this was "just" a stock V30 with the bigger magnet. PRS claims the V30s they use are different than stock ones for example, and a little bird told me that the difference IS the doping, and "maybe" the spider. Both of those can change the tone of a speaker. But the overall character would remain. I'm sure any changes Paul chose, he felt made the V30 better.

In the end, tone is all that matters, and the rest is details. But for the curious types like me, this is really interesting!

Further, I don't think it would surprise anyone to hear that PRSh likes to experiment with things. So, I wouldn't "assume" this was "just" a stock V30 with the bigger magnet. PRS claims the V30s they use are different than stock ones for example, and a little bird told me that the difference IS the doping, and "maybe" the spider. Both of those can change the tone of a speaker. But the overall character would remain. I'm sure any changes Paul chose, he felt made the V30 better.

In the end, tone is all that matters, and the rest is details. But for the curious types like me, this is really interesting!
Yeah, could be as little as a different magnet. I’ve heard the doping thing too. I really wanted to change 2 of the speakers in the 4x12 with the regular prs v30’s in the 2x12 but the band is moving to a new practice space and we have limited rehearsals before a huge show. Figured I better not mess with what I’m used to right now.

Yeah, could be as little as a different magnet. I’ve heard the doping thing too. I really wanted to change 2 of the speakers in the 4x12 with the regular prs v30’s in the 2x12 but the band is moving to a new practice space and we have limited rehearsals before a huge show. Figured I better not mess with what I’m used to right now.
Yeah, agree. 1x's are easier to compare speakers in than 2x's or 4x's. That's why a couple years ago I had all 1x12 cabs. I could try a bunch of different speakers all in the same cabs.

Back