Projects

Davey

Just Jammin'
Not so long ago, Hans started a thread "Covid-19 projects"

Here's one of them that I have been tinkering with off and on for a couple months.
A custom pedal board.
I don't play in a band any longer so it wasn't in the plans to make this mobile or small as my pedal collection has vastly increased this past year or 2 to about a 1/4 acre.

Started with a sketch and some leftover scraps of hemlock.
Got everything cut and in a rough finished configuration.
50710895213_b7e51ea34c_b.jpg

Then glued and fastened it together and got it stained.
50711677996_5fa2cdd1f2_b.jpg

This was a couple months back after I had thrown on some velcro, pedals and added the patch cables and wired it up.
50710906033_131b3c555e_b.jpg

Well after playing for a few months, I decided that I should probably get back at it and clean up the rats nest of cables and wires and get rid of the daisy chain power supplies and install some better quality power.

So I picked a couple 1 spot power supplies (a CS7 and a CS12). Needed both to run my acreage of pedals. My MXR EQ needs 18v, while the 80's boss pedals need 12v and the remainder are 9v.
50710884303_ba76c68d4b_b.jpg

The mounting brackets that come with them are for pedaltrain boards, but they mounted up pretty easily.
50711704522_b5f908d880_b.jpg

Starting to place pedals and determine cable routing and mounting.
50711619631_626038b1e2_b.jpg

All pedals mounted/velcro to board and nearly all patch cables installed. Still some finish routing and tidying up to do.
50711706552_d702765e41_b.jpg

I want to add a 4 jack patch to make it easier to connect/disconnect to any amp. So I have one of these on the way.
50711069318_6e3a3d7491_z.jpg

Once I get that mounted, then I can finish routing and mounting the patch cables and then I can run the power supply wiring to each pedal and get that all clean and tidy.

I'll add those pics when I get that completed.

That looks great! You've done a beautiful job with it so far.

Thanks Les
I wanted to keep any possible noises down and make it easy to move from one amp to the next.

That's killer!! And quite a nice "estate" of pedals as well!;)

Thanks Scott,
What started out as a humble abode has grown. If I add any more, I'm going to have to hire an assistant as I wont be able to reach them all. :p

Man, that's some fine work! I like your tiered setup.

Before I got into the Temple Audio boards, I made a couple wooden boards too. Although not as intricate as yours. I still think a well made wood board is better than many of the commercial options.

Those Truetone supplies are legit too. I got a deal on an open box CS6 and love it, much better than the expensive and noisier Walrus Phoenix I got for my big board. I'll probably grab a pair of CS6's or CS7's for that board to replace the Phoenix eventually.

Well done mate.

@veinbuster Thank you sir

Man, that's some fine work! I like your tiered setup.

Andy, Thank you. Before I got into the Temple Audio boards, I made a couple wooden boards too. Although not as intricate as yours. I still think a well made wood board is better than many of the commercial options.

Those Truetone supplies are legit too. I got a deal on an open box CS6 and love it, much better than the expensive and noisier Walrus Phoenix I got for my big board. I'll probably grab a pair of CS6's or CS7's for that board to replace the Phoenix eventually.

Those temple boards are nice. I considered going that route, but went this way for a project to keep busy.
I researched some of the power supplies and went with the trutone being well reviewed and the options of 9V/12V switching and several options for mV.

That is awesome excellent work! Much better than the spanner piece of futon I painted black and slapped Velcro on...

Thank you and I'll bet that piece of futon painted black with slapped on velcro works just fine too!

Dude, that looks awesome! Nice work.

Thank you. Almost done. Then I'll have to come up with another project.

Last edited:
I was able to add the 4 jack patch. I cut a small piece of hemlock, cut out for the jack mount and painted it black. Glued a small piece of felt to the outside.
Debating on swapping it out for a piece of formed sheet metal to endure the plugging and unplugging. We'll see how it holds up.

50723491448_cdf635bcf1_b.jpg

Started on getting the patch cables organized (nope, I am not anal about keeping things neat and organized, no sir, not me).
Need to add 2 more patch cables and waiting for those to arrive.
Guess I'll start on routing the power supply leads to each pedal.
Getting there.....

50723492543_bd887f1c77_b.jpg

I was able to add the 4 jack patch. I cut a small piece of hemlock, cut out for the jack mount and painted it black. Glued a small piece of felt to the outside.
Debating on swapping it out for a piece of formed sheet metal to endure the plugging and unplugging. We'll see how it holds up.

50723491448_cdf635bcf1_b.jpg

Started on getting the patch cables organized (nope, I am not anal about keeping things neat and organized, no sir, not me).
Need to add 2 more patch cables and waiting for those to arrive.
Guess I'll start on routing the power supply leads to each pedal.
Getting there.....

50723492543_bd887f1c77_b.jpg
Tasty

I really dig how you made a hybrid between a wedge and a shelf type of board. I have no idea how people tolerate straight wedges, especially when trying to hit buttons on the second or third row from the bottom, but I do see how they're more ergonomic. This is the best of both worlds.

Pretty much done. Just need the last 2 patch cables to finish it out. Onto the next project....

50724960991_94d522d054_b.jpg

Much cleaner and will be easier to move around from amp to amp.

Dang, that's one tidy-looking effects board. I dig the minimalist least wire/least EMF interference approach with your power connectors. Good work!

I really dig how you made a hybrid between a wedge and a shelf type of board. I have no idea how people tolerate straight wedges, especially when trying to hit buttons on the second or third row from the bottom, but I do see how they're more ergonomic. This is the best of both worlds.

Thanks John. That was exactly the idea to make it easy to get to each pedal button without the interference of the other pedals in close proximity.

Maybe I should call it a "welf" or maybe a "Shedge"?

Dang, that's one tidy-looking effects board. I dig the minimalist least wire/least EMF interference approach with your power connectors. Good work!

Thanks for noticing Candid. You are right on what I was trying to do and prevent too many crossovers and minimize noise creating issues.

Its awesome that there are many like minded guitarists in here! :)

Back