Private Stock Build - Joining The Brotherhood

Thanks for sharing with us! I could feel the tension building as you described the process like any good story. I felt as if I was there to witness. I can only imagine the experience and the years of enjoyment and reflection to come. Congratulations!

Looks like a great time, sorry I missed it.
Also....please tell me that the special inlay is a TARDIS (or at least Doctor Who related). That would be AMAZING!
Sadly, it is not. I wish I'd thought of it. I don't know that I could have afforded it.
Dammit, I actually have a stock of this blue stone (faded azurite) which is actually kind of TARDIS blue...

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this. Totally brought me in to the experience. Can't wait to see and hear the result.

Congrats !!!!

Amazing selections Alan!!! It will be an outstanding build. Superb description of the experience, and the wonderful people involved, but dammit now you got me thinking...

That's awesome! Congrats on the experience and I'm sure the guitar is going to be amazing. The words are pretty much exactly what I would choose. Can't wait to see it progress on Fridays.

Alan, did you take your DGT to have them copy the neck carve?

I did - thanks for reminding me. I forgot to mention that. I did tell Mr. Miles that I know they sand it by hand, and I'm not looking for an exact replica of it (If it's off a bit, I'm probably not going to notice). But especially after hearing the talk about how they seem to have thickened up, I did want them to try to come close. I'm generally neck-agnostic, and I do have other necks I love, but this neck is pretty much perfect for my hand. It's such a natural fit, it's almost like it was done just for me. At least the second one will be!

Nice, Alan! Love the Honduran RW neck. Definitely my favorite stuff.

I couldn't believe how well this blank rang. It was obvious even to my ears. MY ears!

I neglected to say something here, but this post is a good opportunity. I've received such an education on guitars and guitar building over the last 10 years or so at Experience, BaM, Vintage Rocker and this board, I started playing guitar when I was 7 (so roughly 1923) and I've been a guitar geek for a long time. I've thought about doing custom builds, I've thought of various guitar designs, but until about last year, I never felt like I was close to knowing what to order. I'm a pain for this kind of stuff because I'm not chasing a particular tone, and I don't think I have a specific tone that my playing is built on. In some respects, I'm envious of those of you who know what your tone is and what combinations will give you just what you want. But I couldn't have gotten to this point without the education I got from so many people on this board and the others above, especially the people who've answered my questions and corrected my mistaken impressions; those who have so eloquently described what they were looking for and how their choices pushed them in that direction; and those who put their playing out there to illustrate it all. And that doesn't touch on the folks at PRSG who helped move me along the path to this point. So thank you all!

Sensational quilt, man!

Thanks. I had it down to four tops - a burl, a one-piece quilt, a flamed maple and this one. They sat side by side on the table for probably 40 minutes while I wore a path in the carpet walking between them. But this one kept calling to me. Sometimes it takes me a while before the obvious message gets through.

PS: there is what looks like a clown face right at the bottom

I did not notice that before! One of the things that jumped out at me was that it looked almost like a spinal column going up the join seam. I couldn't quite shake that impression.

Wow! Congrats on this one. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Sounds like the experience may be as great as the guitar.

img_0004-jpg.3672

Thank you, Hunter!

Finally an image!!! It's really happening.

This is the thing I hadn't posted about yet - I did the 20th anniversary birds on the neck AND on the body, like they continue from the neck. The birds on the neck will be stained maple to match the top, and the birds on the top are ebony to match the neck.

There's a volume/tone knob hole missing, but I'm guessing they couldn't CNC that easily.

I'd have to check my original pics, but it looks like the quilt pattern changed a good bit in carving. No complaints - man, does that have some movement!

img_0004-jpg.3672

Thank you, Hunter!

This is the thing I hadn't posted about yet - I did the 20th anniversary birds on the neck AND on the body, like they continue from the neck. The birds on the neck will be stained maple to match the top, and the birds on the top are ebony to match the neck.

There's a volume/tone knob hole missing, but I'm guessing they couldn't CNC that easily.

I'd have to check my original pics, but it looks like the quilt pattern changed a good bit in carving. No complaints - man, does that have some movement!
Dude. I'm playing that. Resistance is futile.

That is going to be spectacular Alan...amazingly creative ideas you're putting into this one.

img_0004-jpg.3672

Thank you, Hunter!

Say wha? Killer!!!

Back