Private Stock Build - Joining The Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by alantig, Oct 30, 2015.

1. prs19

prs19 New Member

Thanks for sharing with us! I could feel the tension building as you described the process like any good story. I felt as if I was there to witness. I can only imagine the experience and the years of enjoyment and reflection to come. Congratulations!

2. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

Looks like a great time, sorry I missed it.
    Dammit, I actually have a stock of this blue stone (faded azurite) which is actually kind of TARDIS blue...

#22 Dusty Chalk, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  3. VHTStark

VHTStark New Member

Sounds like an absolutely fantastic experience and that is gonna be one heck of a private stock!

4. Zafu

Zafu New Member

Thank you for sharing this. Totally brought me in to the experience. Can't wait to see and hear the result.

Congrats !!!!

5. Tosca

Tosca Zombie 10, DFZ

Amazing selections Alan!!! It will be an outstanding build. Superb description of the experience, and the wonderful people involved, but dammit now you got me thinking...

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd New Member

Nice, Alan! Love the Honduran RW neck. Definitely my favorite stuff.

7. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

That's awesome! Congrats on the experience and I'm sure the guitar is going to be amazing. The words are pretty much exactly what I would choose. Can't wait to see it progress on Fridays.

8. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I did - thanks for reminding me. I forgot to mention that. I did tell Mr. Miles that I know they sand it by hand, and I'm not looking for an exact replica of it (If it's off a bit, I'm probably not going to notice). But especially after hearing the talk about how they seem to have thickened up, I did want them to try to come close. I'm generally neck-agnostic, and I do have other necks I love, but this neck is pretty much perfect for my hand. It's such a natural fit, it's almost like it was done just for me. At least the second one will be!

9. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I couldn't believe how well this blank rang. It was obvious even to my ears. MY ears!

I neglected to say something here, but this post is a good opportunity. I've received such an education on guitars and guitar building over the last 10 years or so at Experience, BaM, Vintage Rocker and this board, I started playing guitar when I was 7 (so roughly 1923) and I've been a guitar geek for a long time. I've thought about doing custom builds, I've thought of various guitar designs, but until about last year, I never felt like I was close to knowing what to order. I'm a pain for this kind of stuff because I'm not chasing a particular tone, and I don't think I have a specific tone that my playing is built on. In some respects, I'm envious of those of you who know what your tone is and what combinations will give you just what you want. But I couldn't have gotten to this point without the education I got from so many people on this board and the others above, especially the people who've answered my questions and corrected my mistaken impressions; those who have so eloquently described what they were looking for and how their choices pushed them in that direction; and those who put their playing out there to illustrate it all. And that doesn't touch on the folks at PRSG who helped move me along the path to this point. So thank you all!

10. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Thanks. I had it down to four tops - a burl, a one-piece quilt, a flamed maple and this one. They sat side by side on the table for probably 40 minutes while I wore a path in the carpet walking between them. But this one kept calling to me. Sometimes it takes me a while before the obvious message gets through.

I did not notice that before! One of the things that jumped out at me was that it looked almost like a spinal column going up the join seam. I couldn't quite shake that impression.

11. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules There will never be another

Wow! Congrats on this one. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Sounds like the experience may be as great as the guitar.

12. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

[​IMG]

Thank you, Hunter!

Finally an image!!! It's really happening.

This is the thing I hadn't posted about yet - I did the 20th anniversary birds on the neck AND on the body, like they continue from the neck. The birds on the neck will be stained maple to match the top, and the birds on the top are ebony to match the neck.

There's a volume/tone knob hole missing, but I'm guessing they couldn't CNC that easily.

I'd have to check my original pics, but it looks like the quilt pattern changed a good bit in carving. No complaints - man, does that have some movement!

13. CantankerousCarl

CantankerousCarl Occasionally Onery Member

The continuing birds is and awesome idea...and that quilt looks amazing...she's set to slay...

vchizzle likes this.
  14. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

Killer idea Alan...great creativity with that one!!

15. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Very, very cool! Congrats!

16. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I really like that inlay idea for the body. It's going to be killer, Alan!

17. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Dude. I'm playing that. Resistance is futile.

18. Tosca

Tosca Zombie 10, DFZ

That is going to be spectacular Alan...amazingly creative ideas you're putting into this one.

19. Whitecat

Whitecat Goes home to Starla

Oh man... !!!!

20. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Say wha? Killer!!!