Private Stock Acoustics. Whatcha got?

Okay I gotta call BS. That is super flashy! ...maybe not for a PRS PS??? Its beautiful! I love it!

Thanks, Outlier!

I guess I meant it’s not flashy for a PS; at the time (2013), PRS had a Core acoustic, with an Artist package upgrade. It wasn’t available in maple, so I had to go PS. I had a Core Artist in cocobolo that I sold to help fund this one.

I wanted the guitar to be exactly like my Artist model except the body and back woods. The only thing that didn’t come with the Core artist package I spec’d was the maple.

All of the inlays and trim on my PS were Core Artist package stuff. All of them came with the purfling around the top, the hollow birds, ebony fretboards, Adirondack spruce tops, etc. There isn’t a single thing PS about the guitar’s trim, except the headstock eagle.

In fact, the Artist had a little purfling around the fretboard I opted out of. So it’s less flashy than a Core model of that time.

So it’s really not BS!

However, Paul R. Smith happened to be there when my dealer was picking the wood (I didn’t go), and he helped select the wood used. The top was part of a stash being held for one of their endorsers (even had his name penciled on it); it was pretty awesome that he let Jack take it for my guitar.

The sound of this thing is off the charts. It’s an absolute cannon.

Postscript: You might wonder why I didn’t upgrade the trim and inlays when I could have very easily; I had it in my head that if I pulled out anything fancier at a session, the really good players I booked for sessions might resent it or give me grief over it.

I might have gone with something more personalized today.

Last edited:
I play just as much acoustic guitar as I do electric when gigging. Maybe more. Yet I all I have are a couple of SE PRSi (and a Taylor and a Norman and a Takamine, but all "not expensive", if you get my drift). I should look into buying a "nicer" PRS acoustic, like one of the old Core models or maybe even a low-priced PS, but the jump in cost is just too significant for me to justify, for some weird reason. I'll pay up to $3K to $4K (or more, once) for a really nice electric PRS Core, but can't quite justify that for an acoustic. Maybe because acoustics really are a "personal sound" thing, and buying one without playing seems risky for such an investment.

One day, maybe.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying this thread!

Maybe because acoustics really are a "personal sound" thing, and buying one without playing seems risky for such an investment.

I was a little concerned about that myself, but the Core model I had sounded so good I figured what the heck, and ordered it.

I’m glad I did, but no doubt with an acoustic, it’s all very personal.

One thing I did notice about the PRS Core acoustics when playing them was that the tone was consistent because of the way the guitar is braced on the back and sides. And they do use premium woods, so it’s not gonna be a dog.

Still, I hear you. Acoustics are individuals.

I play just as much acoustic guitar as I do electric when gigging. Maybe more. Yet I all I have are a couple of SE PRSi (and a Taylor and a Norman and a Takamine, but all "not expensive", if you get my drift). I should look into buying a "nicer" PRS acoustic, like one of the old Core models or maybe even a low-priced PS, but the jump in cost is just too significant for me to justify, for some weird reason. I'll pay up to $3K to $4K (or more, once) for a really nice electric PRS Core, but can't quite justify that for an acoustic. Maybe because acoustics really are a "personal sound" thing, and buying one without playing seems risky for such an investment.

One day, maybe.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying this thread!
I prefer to hear an acoustic in my hands before buying. My Norman beat out more expensive ones for a long time. You might be the only other person here who has one.

I prefer to hear an acoustic in my hands before buying. My Norman beat out more expensive ones for a long time. You might be the only other person here who has one.
Norman's are not the most popular line-up from that company, and seem to be limited in distribution.

I got mine maybe 15 years ago (probably more) from a guitar store in St Catharines, back when I lived in Canada. Got it without electronics because I never had an expectation to plug it in (and electronics added about $200, maybe more, to the price). I did get a pickup put in about 6 years ago - it was the acoustic I used when I first started gigging, along with my Les Paul Deluxe.

The Norman was by far the most affordable guitar in the store that actually played well. Yeah, the Martins were nice, but three times the price.

Back