Votes: 3 7.5%
  • V12

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Nitro

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
What do you prefer? I've really got limited experience with nitro...except a satin nitro which was great. Pretty much all my guitars have been poly and V12. I played a DGT with nitro but it was really sticky in a humidified shop. I don't really have a preference between poly and V12, both feel and look good. I've read a lot debate on nitro vs. whatever, but not really so much on V12. I ask because I see many PS done w/nitro.

So if given the option on a PRS, which would you choose?

After many years with Poly PRSes, I have come to prefer the V12 on guitars I've owned since PRS started using it. I like the look, feel, and tone of the instruments, so what's not to like?

I think I prefer the V12 on a workhorse instrument just for ease of care, etc.

My PS acoustic has nitro. Mine's not sticky at all, and it looks and sounds great. I'll probably go for that again on another PS I have in mind.

After many years with Poly PRSes, I have come to prefer the V12 on guitars I've owned since PRS started using it. I like the look, feel, and tone of the instruments, so what's not to like?

I think I prefer the V12 on a workhorse instrument just for ease of care, etc.

My PS acoustic has nitro. Mine's not sticky at all, and it looks and sounds great. I'll probably go for that again on another PS I have in mind.
Interesting take Les, I hadn't really considered the "care" & maintenance part. See, if I were to go PS, it would also turn into a workhorse.

Nitro. There's something to how it looks. Most finishes look like they wrap the guitar. Nitro looks like it's part of the guitar.

I own 6 PRS guitars, and every single one of them has a nitro finish. I no longer buy PRSi with anything else.

The only nitro I have is my goldtop DGT. Given the goldtop, Not sticky, but I do worry about burning it or damaging it somehow (see, axe? I told you I don't always live up to that advice!). My ears aren't good enough to notice the difference, or at least any that I can attribute to the finish.

I never really gave V12 vs. poly much of a thought, but now that I do, I realize that I like my V12 guitars more than the poly. That may be a function of the models themselves, but now that I think about it, there is a difference in feel for those.
I guess I'm in the V12 camp.

Interesting take Les, I hadn't really considered the "care" & maintenance part. See, if I were to go PS, it would also turn into a workhorse.

My PS acoustic is also a workhorse; it's my only acoustic guitar. I use it daily for my work. It's no case queen.

Most of my acoustic guitars in the past have had nitro finishes, and they take a little more care. But since the US acoustics have nitro standard, I wasn't going to switch on a private stock; wouldn't seem sensible for some reason.

The stickiness of nitro goes away with time as the finish cures. I do think it's too fragile for what I'd want on a PRS, though, except the neck. I like nitro on a Fender style guitar where it looks good banged up.

I always liked the older poly finish on PRS guitars, but the V12 looks and feels really nice in my limited experience.

I like the original acrylic urethane on the older PRS guitars. I haven't had any serious time with the V12, though.

Isn't it true that Nitro (nitrocellulous) is the least sticky, Poly is the most sticky and the V12 is somewhere in the middle?
My 2006 is as sticky as Converse b-ball shoes on a basketball court so I assume it is Poly.
I further assume that my 2011 Custom 24 has V12 on it and it's decent.
I have two Nitro guitars which are as non-slipery as a glossy finish can be but they are not PRS and I am under the impression that PRS never used Nitrocellulous, but I could be wrong.

I'm really liking the Nitro. The nitro on the guitar I own isn't sticky, and just feels magnificent. V12 is my second favorite,

Nitro varies greatly depending on how much plasticizer is used in the formula. Plasticizer will prevent the nitro from cracking, but it also makes it feel very sticky. Paul likes to use as little plasticizer as possible because he feels plasticizer deadens the tone of the guitar.

I can't say I feel(or hear for that matter) a difference between poly & V12. I just decided to throw all 3 PRS options up there.

Back