Poll: Which pickup rings do you prefer?

Which pickup rings do you prefer?

• Cream

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • Black

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters
Out of those options, I think cream pickup rings seem classier for a lack of better descriptions at the moment.
Even I tend to have those on my own PRS guitars.

18953347_10212826745766383_4954938109261306806_o.jpg

had same dilemma myself few months back when I got a CE semi hollow.
OfnG8eW.jpg

kEDcqzz.jpg

Came with the cream rings and switch tip. Went all in on the black. Ebony tuner button, even upgraded my bridge to improve the tone and got black nickel. I may have stuck with the cream rings if the fretboard or guitar binding was bone or something. But my fretboard has no binding and the guitar's binding is natural wood color, not white like the first pic makes you think.

OfnG8eW.jpg

kEDcqzz.jpg

Came with the cream rings and switch tip. Went all in on the black. Ebony tuner button, even upgraded my bridge to improve the tone and got black nickel. I may have stuck with the cream rings if the fretboard or guitar binding was bone or something. But my fretboard has no binding and the guitar's binding is natural wood color, not white like the first pic makes you think.

I like those mods you have done, looks much better with the darker fittings. Can I ask what the bridge is that you have chosen. ?

MannMade USA bridge. I believe this is 2000Nos as it’s a single piece like the old style PRS guitars use to have. He makes a Gen2 equivalent black nickel.
Was hoping you were going to say I got it in the UK. Anything from the States costs a fortune over here.

Hey folks, OP here. Thanks for all of the feedback! You've made my decision easier... I think.

A little background: The cream pickup rings are stock, and the ones I tend to prefer. Years back I swapped them out for black (hence the pics), but I ended up going back to cream. The pickup covers are chrome, although they are pretty tarnished in the most recent pictures (cream) and might appear gold. I prefer chrome/silver hardware.

I started getting itchy for a new guitar a few months back, but I had a good talk with myself and realized that this 2001 McCarty is still fantastic. I'm not particularly a fan of green guitars in general (mine is Teal Black), but this one felt, played, and sounded so good that I had to buy it when I ran across it back in 2002. And the color is still cool, and definitely wasn't a deal-breaker. It remains my only guitar.

Heartfelt talk with myself aside, I was still itchy. I wanted something different. So I did some online research -- both here, and The Gear Page.

I considered pickup swaps, but I'm not ready to go down that rabbit hole just yet. I'm just a bedroom jammer, but I have no complaints about the stock pickups. Besides, I still have a lot of tweaking to do before I make any solid judgement on them. If/when I start gigging, that decision might change. But for now, I'm good with the stock pickups.

I also considered a bone nut (there was this Ibanez Artist I once played...), a bridge update (the new wraparound bridge with brass studs), tuner changes, etc. Ultimately, I decided that most of those changes wouldn't make a significant difference in the tone of my guitar. Or rather, the differences probably wouldn't be worth all the money and effort. Besides, I wasn't really dissatisfied with the tone/sound of my guitar. I just wanted something different.

Therefore, I was left with cosmetic changes.

All of your observations were spot-on, and highlighted my ambiguity with the pickup rings. Black is cleaner and shows off the top more, cream ties in with the binding and tuner buttons, etc. Based on your feedback, I've decided that I'm still a cream pickup ring guy on this guitar.

That being said, you now have me considering a new custom maple (or light-colored) truss rod cover, and perhaps some maple pickup rings. Knobs are still open for change, as well -- lampshade, or otherwise. A nice cream-colored strap might make things pop, too? And even though I've ruled against a pickup swap at this point, if I do one down the road I will definitely have to consider zebra pickups!

Thanks everybody for helping me get through this "crisis." And feel free to continue offering comments or suggestions!

Last edited:
Nice job thinking through what you're feeling and really wanting. That's hard sometimes!

A new bridge may, or may not, improve sustain which can be really enjoyable. I've always loved bridge upgrades but I've never played a PRS fixed bridge, so IDK if it would be an upgrade or not.

I guess the same with the nut but I don't have experience changing a nut for that reason.

For my guitar, I'm considering maple pickup rings, and painting/dying the top but leaving the edges natural, to mimic the guitar finish. Of course, mine has a solid black burst which makes that easier.

You can also change tuner buttons.

Chrome polish is inexpensive and easy to apply to bridge, pickup covers, etc. You can get it from the hardware or automotive store.

Other ideas, which I haven't personally done yet:

Another aesthetic you can try is fretboard dye, if you like dark/black fretboards.

You can (or have someone) remove pickup rings from your existing pickups.

Or, maybe you just need a new pedal to scratch the itch ;)

Nice job thinking through what you're feeling and really wanting. That's hard sometimes!
It is! I'm still considering a bridge update, pickup swap, nut swap, etc. I was considering black tuner buttons if I decided to go with a black color scheme, too. I have TonePros locking studs on this one, but the concept of brass studs intrigues me. But for now, I'm concentrating on cosmetic changes. No sense fixing something that I'm not even sure I have a problem with. A little cheaper that way, too. ;)

I really need to clean/polish my guitar. That's what I did in the black pickup rings pics, and it shows. I have some chrome polish around somewhere. I just haven't been motivated to change my strings, which is what I'd do before cleaning. I'll get around to it soon, though.

Thanks for the compliment on the top, by the way. Under normal lighting conditions it actually appears to have a fairly large dead spot on the part of the body where your arm rests. I just consider that character, however.

Besides, I kinda dig the back even more:

020-17A.jpg

021-18A.jpg

OfnG8eW.jpg

kEDcqzz.jpg

While both styles look great, the black really looks sharp. The black edge on the top really makes things pop. Very nice!

Back