Poll: Which pickup rings do you prefer?

Which pickup rings do you prefer?

• Cream

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • Black

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

Brian

I'm trying to decide whether or not to change my pickup rings (again). I realize there isn't a huge difference between the two, but I'd still appreciate your feedback!

cfront.jpg
cbody.jpg

bfront.jpg
bbody.jpg

There are pickup rings on that guitar? All I see is that rich, velvety emerald GORGEOUS figuring.

(All kidding aside you just sold me on black/dark pup rings, so thanks ;). )

I like the cream rings on this one. It ties the mock binding and tuners together for me. Flame maple pickup rings per xtcclassic recommendation would look good too.

Black looks cleaner, i like clean. If there was a third option here i would pick rosewood rings and knobs.

For me, I much prefer the 'plastics' to blend in as much as possible. Therefore, with any guitar that is darker, especially with dark/black staining, Black pup rings will always be my preference. If the Guitar is 'light/natural', the cream blends better into the background so its the 'better' option.

For me, I much prefer the 'plastics' to blend in as much as possible. Therefore, with any guitar that is darker, especially with dark/black staining, Black pup rings will always be my preference. If the Guitar is 'light/natural', the cream blends better into the background so its the 'better' option.
I generally agree here--sometimes the "coordination" between plastics is what works, regardless of whether it's cream or black.

On the OP's guitar, you seem to have a lot of black going on (knobs and also truss rod cover). But you also have that hint of "cream" (close to cream) in the tuner knobs. I think this explains why both look acceptable or "right" on that guitar. I'll go up top and log my vote, but I still haven't decided as of typing this...

PS. If you ever change the pickups, definitely put some uncovered black & cream "zebra" pickups in there. Then, definitely put the cream rings on it. And THEN you're done. Boom!

Later edit: I voted black... and I'm guessing that was the "stock" setup, too.

Cream, of course.

The idea that plastic is somehow inferior to other materials strikes me as a bit odd. It’s actually stronger as a pickup ring than the wooden ones that are more prone to breakage.

And since ivory trim on guitars was highly desirable from the 16th - 19th centuries, cream or ivory plastic brings a very traditional look to the instrument.

Plastic pickup rings, covers on P-90s, pick guards, switches, knobs, and cavity plates are traditional as well, even on expensive instruments like the old Gibson jazz boxes.

I’m all in for plastic pickup rings. They’re wonderful stuff! ;)

Back