• I know what you're talking about, but I'm not going to dignify it

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Who put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • That's what she said

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I might also audition for the part of the hippie playing the guitar on the stairs! Mostly want that part so Alnus can grab the guitar from me and smash it!! Looking forward to the forum musical version of Animal House!!!

Stephen Bishop, and the story is that was his actual #1 guitar. As the story goes, Belushi didn't know it was his favorite and ad libbed the smashing bit. I don't remember the details, but as I recall, Belushi made amends (or tried to).

Not quite similar to Kurt Russell smashing the 19th century Martin in Hateful Eight - that was supposed to be a prop guitar, but someone made a mistake and left the real thing, and it got destroyed.

We almost saw that happen at Experience one year. For whatever reason, Paul had his team do a replica of a '58 or '59 Les Paul. They looked identical, and Paul said they did it only to prove they could do the replica thing, but they didn't really want to. Then he said, "Should we run it through the bandsaw?" Which got a lot of applause, and just before he walked over to the saw, he turned around and said, "The fake has one screw, right?" Nope - he was holding the genuine LP.

Stephen Bishop, and the story is that was his actual #1 guitar. As the story goes, Belushi didn't know it was his favorite and ad libbed the smashing bit. I don't remember the details, but as I recall, Belushi made amends (or tried to).

Not quite similar to Kurt Russell smashing the 19th century Martin in Hateful Eight - that was supposed to be a prop guitar, but someone made a mistake and left the real thing, and it got destroyed.

We almost saw that happen at Experience one year. For whatever reason, Paul had his team do a replica of a '58 or '59 Les Paul. They looked identical, and Paul said they did it only to prove they could do the replica thing, but they didn't really want to. Then he said, "Should we run it through the bandsaw?" Which got a lot of applause, and just before he walked over to the saw, he turned around and said, "The fake has one screw, right?" Nope - he was holding the genuine LP.
only a nerd would have a number one folk guitar.

There’s a lot of films/tv that would never be made now. Doesn’t mean that it isn’t funny, as long as it’s not offensive.

There are a lot that people point to that absolutely could be made today. They would draw a lot of complaints and might not be as revered (or as good), but they could be made. "Movie 43" is an example - a lot of borderline offensive material (and not a classic by any means), but it got made.

There are two problems with a movie like "Blazing Saddles" today. One is that things like social media tend to amplify certain opinions beyond their actual level of importance. Because one person says it and maybe 100 people repeat it does not mean that a huge number of people necessarily agree with it, but because it gets notice, some "news" organization reports it, then another picks it up, then someone else says, "Hey, two people reported this, there must be something to it" and suddenly it's a thing. The second is that some of these people can't distinguish between the subject of a joke and the target of a joke. To them, "Blazing Saddles" is a bunch of white people saying the n-word when the reality is that those people - the racists in the movie - are the target of the joke. Similar thing with "Monty Python's Life Of Brian" - it got a lot of protests when it was released because "it's making fun of Jesus". John Cleese debated a religious official on TV about it and the guy said pretty much just that, and Cleese said something, "There's not a single joke about Jesus in the movie. There are a lot about followers, though."

There are a lot that people point to that absolutely could be made today. They would draw a lot of complaints and might not be as revered (or as good), but they could be made. "Movie 43" is an example - a lot of borderline offensive material (and not a classic by any means), but it got made.

There are two problems with a movie like "Blazing Saddles" today. One is that things like social media tend to amplify certain opinions beyond their actual level of importance. Because one person says it and maybe 100 people repeat it does not mean that a huge number of people necessarily agree with it, but because it gets notice, some "news" organization reports it, then another picks it up, then someone else says, "Hey, two people reported this, there must be something to it" and suddenly it's a thing. The second is that some of these people can't distinguish between the subject of a joke and the target of a joke. To them, "Blazing Saddles" is a bunch of white people saying the n-word when the reality is that those people - the racists in the movie - are the target of the joke. Similar thing with "Monty Python's Life Of Brian" - it got a lot of protests when it was released because "it's making fun of Jesus". John Cleese debated a religious official on TV about it and the guy said pretty much just that, and Cleese said something, "There's not a single joke about Jesus in the movie. There are a lot about followers, though."
don't try and elevate the bible by comparing it to blazing saddles.

Funny, I came up with an idea for a movie a few years ago. Plot is, someone trying to pitch "Blazing Saddles" to movie execs in this modern era! I think such a plot could really unwrap and explore some of the real issues behind this stuff, some of which you have pointed out in the post quoted here!!

Funny, I came up with an idea for a movie a few years ago. Plot is, someone trying to pitch "Blazing Saddles" to movie execs in this modern era! I think such a plot could really unwrap and explore some of the real issues behind this stuff, some of which you have pointed out in the post quoted here!!
you're going to remake 'the producers' about 'blazing saddles'? lawsuit inception?

Is the poll about a specific moment of societal outrage and defensiveness?

It’s hard to keep up with it all.
screen-shot-2014-02-27-at-9-28-27-pm.png

animal house and all 'national lampoon' style humor is about white people being entitled in white-controlled spaces, like frat houses or country clubs. typical harvard square nonsense.
Don't you blaspheme up in here!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpSt5mVAaqe/?igshid=MjkzY2Y1YTY=

I don’t think we’ve covered another beast. Jimmy Carr. If you don’t know his work, this is a mild one. ;)
haven't seen jimmy since bbc three went internet only. now this guy would be great in like a serial child murderer comedy, maybe with other old bbc panellists -- phil jupitus, simon amstell, johnny vegas if he's still alive -- as detectives he murders (but without joy becuase they're all grown up).

haven't seen jimmy since bbc three went internet only. now this guy would be great in like a serial child murderer comedy, maybe with other old bbc panellists -- phil jupitus, simon amstell, johnny vegas if he's still alive -- as detectives he murders (but without joy becuase they're all grown up).
Dude!! IKR?! He should be the lead tho he’s even got those dead doll eyes and everything. You should write a screen play and send it to his people. I’d watch it

Back