Polish - Meguiars M205 etc

Ty89m

I'm on the hunt for a new Core Custom 24 and have found a few I'm keen on - though they have the back finished in black, which I usually avoid due to the amount of swirl marks that accumulate and stand out vs lighter colors etc. I'm curious if something like Mequiars M205 (or similar) would be compatible with the finish on these core models? I've had success using these body shop grade compounds/polishes on other guitars (Strat/Tele), but don't want to risk it on something this pricey without doing my due diligence first!

Anyway have experience with this?

I'm on the hunt for a new Core Custom 24 and have found a few I'm keen on - though they have the back finished in black, which I usually avoid due to the amount of swirl marks that accumulate and stand out vs lighter colors etc. I'm curious if something like Mequiars M205 (or similar) would be compatible with the finish on these core models? I've had success using these body shop grade compounds/polishes on other guitars (Strat/Tele), but don't want to risk it on something this pricey without doing my due diligence first!

Anyway have experience with this?

Meguiar's G19216EU is why I use

I bought a Meguiar's ScratchX recommended here before but its waaaaay to aggressive

Big fan of Virtuoso Polish. It's a two step system that I used on a used McCarty I bought with some scratches on the back, it looks brand new now.

Big fan of Virtuoso Polish. It's a two step system that I used on a used McCarty I bought with some scratches on the back, it looks brand new now.
I keep meaning to pick some of that Virtuoso up, sounds like great stuff. I'll have to get some ordered!

I keep meaning to pick some of that Virtuoso up, sounds like great stuff. I'll have to get some ordered!
It's great stuff. I detailed cars for four years and don't get folks using car polish on guitars. Nitro/ Poly finishes and clear coat are not close to the same thing.

I've always had great luck with Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish 4/6. It's a body shop safe auto detailing finishing polish. It's minimally abrasive and it finishes down really well. Having said that, I've only used it on older poly finished guitars. Not sure how this stuff would play with the newer nitro finishes.

I've always had great luck with Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish 4/6. It's a body shop safe auto detailing finishing polish. It's minimally abrasive and it finishes down really well. Having said that, I've only used it on older poly finished guitars. Not sure how this stuff would play with the newer nitro finishes.
I'll have to get in touch with PRS and see what their thoughts are on the nicer body shop grade polishes - the guitar I want has the opaque black back which is making me a bit nervous, but with a nice polish along with gentle handling, I think it should be ok. I'm a "man cave" player, so it'll be a babied - but black is a tough one.

Back