Planned vs impulse buy

Even when I plan, it feels like an impulse at the moment things transition from ‘plan’ to ‘take the money’. o_O

I feel pretty much the same way whether I plan or not - a combination of excitement, guilt and buyer’s angst all rolled into one neurotic package!

So...suppose I find something I really like and can afford to buy right now, but the dealer suggests some variations that would make it even more fantastic. Or more correctly a custom build that has all the features of what I can touch and feel along with some compelling options I would appreciate.

If I commission the better version, is it still an impulse buy? If I wait until morning to decide, is it still an impulse buy?

For the record. True story. Two candidates with the same scenario.

I don't really have a hard and fast rule. I have been flipping through Reverb/forums or walking through a guitar store, saw a guitar, and went "wow, I gotta have that." I would consider that an impulse buy. Regardless of how you define it, I just like reading other people's stories.

So...suppose I find something I really like and can afford to buy right now, but the dealer suggests some variations that would make it even more fantastic. Or more correctly a custom build that has all the features of what I can touch and feel along with some compelling options I would appreciate.

If I commission the better version, is it still an impulse buy? If I wait until morning to decide, is it still an impulse buy?

Yeah, that’s impulse x2 really. Only no instant gratification, which makes it torturous impulse buying...maybe the best/worst of both worlds?

Neither. Mine are all Serendipity buys.

That's not impulse...
That's implus!

Even when I plan, it feels like an impulse at the moment things transition from ‘plan’ to ‘take the money’. o_O

I feel pretty much the same way whether I plan or not - a combination of excitement, guilt and buyer’s angst all rolled into one neurotic package!

Another point of commonality between us.

I’m more in the impulse category. Usually something rattles around in the back of my brain until I wake up and have to have it now. Unfortunately for me there is a new custom bicycle causing brain rattle. Worse yet is I have a wife who’s philosophy is, “If you want it, get it”.

Another point of commonality between us.

I’m more in the impulse category. Usually something rattles around in the back of my brain until I wake up and have to have it now. Unfortunately for me there is a new custom bicycle causing brain rattle. Worse yet is I have a wife who’s philosophy is, “If you want it, get it”.

Back when I was a young guy I was really into racing bicycles; the big deal then was “all Campagnolo” equipment. I had to have the then-state-of-the-art double butted tubing, all the Campy stuff, etc. I was still single, so I got it, and rode that bike for 35 years. It was one of my best all-time moves. Gave it to my son when he moved to LA because he likes to ride and dug the bike, and...it was stolen. Sigh.

But having a wife who says to get something you want is great.

When I want something, I get an argument. ;)

I’ve had three impulse buys, a Mira X that had good bones but needed some love, a SE ZM, and an SECU24 25th. Others are semi-impulse buys, where I go to the shop and see something, play it, and then it works on my brain for a while until I give in. The Akesson, S2 Studio are prime examples of that. And then a few that I wanted and sought out, S2 CU22 Semi and Satin Standard, Mira 25th. Long term, I find myself loving the ones I plan to buy, or can’t get out of my head, the most.

I AM NOT sticking my tongue on that pole!!!!!

But, my knees are buckling, and that little red dude on my shoulder ain't helpin'!!!!!!!!

Why stick your tongue on a pole when you can put it in an f-hole?

Back