Planned vs impulse buy

My SVN that I got at Sweetwater's GearFest last year was a definite impulse buy. In fact, the Mrs still gives me stick about that one. Silvertree, sorry if I missed it but whereabouts in Michigan are you moving to? (Southgate here).

My SVN that I got at Sweetwater's GearFest last year was a definite impulse buy. In fact, the Mrs still gives me stick about that one. Silvertree, sorry if I missed it but whereabouts in Michigan are you moving to? (Southgate here).

I am moving to the Mount Pleasant/Midland area at the end of the month. So not terribly far away.

Last edited:
I AM NOT sticking my tongue on that pole!!!!!

source.gif

If by impulse you mean letting the thought brew in your head for months, imagine the tonal objective, search the Intarwebby for new stuff, then rifle through PSF thread for colors, then yeah, I can be impulsive. But then I visit Markie or 11Top, play something other-worldly, and completely turn my mental Etch-a-Sketch upside down and give it a big shake. It all starts over again. That’s why I sit here with only a couple guitars.

Ok, a few.

Ok better than a baker’s dozen deluxe deluxe.

This is why I don’t need any more guitars.

If by impulse you mean letting the thought brew in your head for months, imagine the tonal objective, search the Intarwebby for new stuff, then rifle through PSF thread for colors, then yeah, I can be impulsive. But then I visit Markie or 11Top, play something other-worldly, and completely turn my mental Etch-a-Sketch upside down and give it a big shake. It all starts over again. That’s why I sit here with only a couple guitars.

Ok, a few.

Ok better than a baker’s dozen deluxe deluxe.

This is why I don’t need any more guitars.

I don’t understand this “I don’t need any more guitars.”

You can only hide like, a quarter pound of weed in there though. You should get something that holds a couple pounds.

Well, I decided to sleep on it, and see if Mr. impulse survived the night. He did. Unfortunately, the listing didn't. I went to buy it this morning,many it was gone. A '99 McCarty Archtop for less than $2,500. Shoulda pounced last night. Oh well, the search continues. You can add one of these to your watch list, and send me texts!

Well, I decided to sleep on it, and see if Mr. impulse survived the night. He did. Unfortunately, the listing didn't. I went to buy it this morning,many it was gone. A '99 McCarty Archtop for less than $2,500. Shoulda pounced last night. Oh well, the search continues. You can add one of these to your watch list, and send me texts!

Ah man, that sucks. I will keep an eye out.

Both.

Most Research: I once researched the guitar market based on specs alone. This took about 9 months and spawned a multi-paged spreadsheet. I didnt care what brand of model emerged. I just wanted:

hardtail bridge / 22-24 frets / single coil pu/ 25.5" scale/ 42-44 nut width/ 12" min radius. Out of hundreds of models, I only got one prefect hit.

Most Impulsive: Discovered a very desirable USA guitar I hitherto knew nothing about. I checked out the retailer thoroughly before buying one mail order that same day.

The impulse buy was the better guitar on that occasion.

Most of my impulse buys are from physically picking up and playing the thing. That's how I bought my 1st PRS.

Most impulsive buy:
Target: RL Vela SH
TTL (how quick did I pull the trigger): less than 60 seconds from knowledge of impending release to text to my dealer.

This is unfair because I used the Force. It just felt right. I was right.

vela-sun.jpg

vela-indiana.jpg

Last edited:
Back