PimpRS My Axe

Draconomics

Fearless Papa of The Brethren of the Crust
Random question for you guys: do you have axes you PRS-ify? That is to say a non PRS guitar that you end up putting PRS parts on, be it tuners, pickups, hardware, wiring schemes, etc.

I have a couple such projects I have some dastardly plans for to kinda do that. Just curious.

I'm building a HSH strat right now with a PRS trem. I've used their pickups a time or two in other guitars. I'd also like to try the phase 3 tuners on other guitars. They're the coolest.

Black lampshades look amazing on a Tele.

At one point I had a Strat set up with a pair of humbuckers and a 5-way to get the old school inside/outside coil positions. It also had master volume and master tone with lampshades.

I use my PRS straps with my Strats because they're awesome straps.

Yeah I used an SE trem on my KitCaster. I also used some SE pots on the FrankenRhoades I painted and assembled for my friend.

Well, kinda. After buying (and later selling unfortunately) my '85 custom 24 I built two partscasters, using mostly warmoth wood parts. The thing that really struck me about that 85 is how well it stayed in tune, even with active tremolo bar use. So those partscasters got wilkinson bridges, graphtech nuts, locking tuners, and a low cut off angle at the nut. With one of them it really worked - the original one I made, a candy apple green bodied one, stays in tune for months. The second one has vexed me - sometimes it works and stays in tune, but most of the time it doesn't - turns out it has a twisted neck, so a new neck has been ordered after all these years.

Yes. I'm building a Tele kit and have two sets of SE tuners from a locking tuner change out.

Took three of each set so they are oriented the same way and put them on the Tele, they are an improvement but still cheap Chinese tuners

I put PRS Brass tailpiece studs on my Greco LP. I made some Brass ABR-1 posts as well.

Worked well. Made a different sound, more sustain.

Black lampshades look amazing on a Tele.

I just recently put some '72 Tele Deluxe (a.k.a. "witch hat") knobs on my regular Tele (with typical 3-way, Vol, & Tone plate) and I'm LOVING that look. So cool.

Generally, though--it's not technically PRS, but it looks like John Mann ('s Guitar Vault, that is) sells all kinds of PRS/Mann-style bridges that will fit many old & new Strats. This would probably be one of the easiest ways to begin "PRS'ifying" a non-PRSi in more than just a cosmetic way.

Back