Pimp My Amp

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Made some external (and fairly ridiculous) mods to my amp today, and found some fun EQ settings. I use a graphic EQ pedal in the effects loop to massage the tone of my SE30, but due to recently fixing it to the back grill of the amp, I couldn't fit the PRS slip cover my wife got me for Christmas over the head. I want the pedal to go inside the head when transporting the amp, but I don't dare attach in there permanently because I would have to leave the grill cover off, and I can just see my 6L6's shattering in transport So I got a little creative...

I use industrial strength, adhesive backed Velcro to attach my pedals to my board (and it works very well), so I figured hey, why not use it for my amp? Stuck a strip to the areas where the grill usually screws in, and its match on both sides of the grill. Then I zip-tied the EQ pedal to the grill in a location where it will sit inside the cabinet when the grill is flipped around, as well as the power supply. The result, a quickly convertible amp that works with the slip cover, and doesn't have junk hanging off it when I move it around!

Start here...
25453882733_01a93fd5f0_z.jpg

Pull the grill off...
25963907672_6014e547e5_z.jpg

25451672934_b8c9ca6407_z.jpg

Flip the grill over and stick it again, a couple cables plugged in and away we go!
25990117261_d5ce9d2852_z.jpg

Happy!
26057046605_1b75e16ecc_z.jpg

I really wish I could find a more reasonable solution for power on the back of the amp, can't believe no one makes a power cord with built in pedal power, or something small to put on the amp. But this works.

I also had some fun messing with my EQ settings. I'm not playing this amp with my band anymore, went back to my 100 watt and 4x12 (drummer refuses to play at reasonable volumes), so I can really do whatever my heart desires with this amp now. I tried emphasizing the mid frequencies, centered around about 1k, and got a big British sound that might become my go-to rock tone when I play this amp live again. It's not modern, but it should cut much more than the stock tone. There's more mid content, obviously, but also more punch to the low end. Despite being clearly British on the lead channel, I was able to scoop the mid knob on the clean channel, turn the bright switch on, and get a crystalline, punchy F tone, which should also translate well live. Nice! Here's a sample of both, starting with my normal settings, then going to the mid boost. Forgive the quick and dirty recording, I didn't take a lot of time to tweak my mic position.

https://soundcloud.com/6stringthunder/eq-fun/s-1JDuR

Last edited:
Very creative! Nice way to demo it with the recording, too.

I probably would have run cables from the pedalboard to the loop the usual way, but the idea you came up with here seems like it'd be a workflow improvement when setting up.

I had to come back to this thread, because your mod is the kind of thing I'd go to whatever effort to do, only to decide to disassemble it a week later.

Because I seem to always reverse my own mods. I'm that guy. ;)

Ha! I actually want to add a PDI-09 to my archon. This gives me some ideas. Though I may cut a hole in the screen to make room for an xlr and mount it internally.

What Velcro brands are you using?

Ha! I actually want to add a PDI-09 to my archon. This gives me some ideas. Though I may cut a hole in the screen to make room for an xlr and mount it internally.

What Velcro brands are you using?

You're going to laugh, but I swear by this stuff. I get it at Hobby Lobby, it's 2" wide adhesive backed velcro that you get in their sewing and fabric section.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Se...tick-On-Hook-&-Loop-Industrial-Strips/p/50213

They used to package it as industrial strength utility Velcro, then I went in one day to get more and couldn't find it until I went to the sewing section. Different packaging, but the exact same stuff. The adhesive sticks very well to any hard surface, but not to anything soft or rubbery (rubber pedal bases a la Boss, amp tolex). I put a screw at each end of the stuff on the amp to hold it. It sticks to the grill no problem.

heck put your whole loop pedal setup back there. Chorus>Verb>Delay>EQ.

Hey, what do you know, I play that, too! (laughs like Ernie from Sesame Street)

Back