Pickup Suggestions for ‘98 CE 24

joesilvahhh

Howdy! I'm a new member of the PRS family and seeking some advice from the community. I bought my first CE 24 a couple months ago. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, but there's something about it that doesn't sound quite right. It has an HFS in the bridge and Vintage Bass in the neck. I like the VB actually, but for some reason I cannot get along with the HFS. I've adjusted the pup height up and down, from factory settings to below the pickup ring, and I don't like anything I'm hearing. This pickup sounds icy and hollow to me, and I wonder if the next move is to swap it out for something that will better suit my ear.

I have a simple rig: Earthquaker comp, TS808, and HoF into a 4x10 Fender Bassman. I mostly play cover gigs (oldies, top40, hair metal) and telecaster pickin' leads. I bought the CE to be my swiss army knife on those wide genre changes.

What do you think I should do? I hear good things about the 57/08 and 59/09, and Suhr Thornbuckers sound interesting. Ideally, the sound I want is lower output, vintage-style tone that splits well and that can handle high-gain moments.

Thanks for reading - appreciate any input :~)

You're on the right track with 57/08 and 59/09. 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck is a popular combo too. These are some of my favorite pickuos of all time. For non PRS I aways trust in wolfetone, DrV/Marshallhead is a great combo that haven't failed to please my ears in a guitar yet. The SD JB/Jazz is a great option that I really liked in a Cu24 that split really well too.

Last edited:
57/08 59/09 combo unless it’s a full mahogany body. Then Dragon 1’s

This is my old 07

StQ8ezZ.jpg

You're on the right track with 57/08 and 59/09. 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck is a popular combo too. These are some of my favorite pickuos of all time. For non PRS I aways trust in wolfetone, DrV/Marshallhead is a great combo that haven't failed to please my ears in a guitar yet. The SD JB/Jazz is a great option that I really liked in a Cu24 that split really well too.

Thank you!! Think it’d be worthwhile to go all-out for that combo? I’m feeling willing but reluctant since I can’t exactly try them out first. I will def look into those alternative options too!

Thank you!! Think it’d be worthwhile to go all-out for that combo? I’m feeling willing but reluctant since I can’t exactly try them out first. I will def look into those alternative options too!

It's what I would do. Best of both worlds. Don't get me wrong I like the 57/08 in the bridge a lot. I really really dig it's classic sound with just a little dirt, nails that tone, but overall I prefer the 59/09 with bit more all around.

The 57/08 neck is awesome but so is the 59/09. I think the 57/08 is a bit sweeter to my ears.

57/08 is definitely sweeter to my ears, too, compared to the 59/09. The 59/09 punches a lot harder/firmer and has a modern feel to it. [My opinion.]

If you say you want "lower output, vintage-style tone that splits well and that can handle high-gain moments," then that definitely sounds like the 57/08 pickups to me (OR the Suhr Thornbuckers, which are very similar and also stellar pickups).

Now, if it were a backwards scenario where you liked the HFS but couldn't bond with the VB pickup, then I'd suggest going with the 59/09 pickups.

Thanks for the recommendations folks! Very validating to hear that I'm headed in the right direction. The 57/08s are my first choice; there's a set on ebay right now for $380 (woof). I saw an affordable set of Thornbuckers come and go in a flash, so I guess I need to be a little quicker on the draw next time. Maybe Thorn+ in the bridge and 57/08 in the neck?

Anyway, keeping an eye out for the right deal to appear. I'm also strongly considering the Custom Works Free-Way Switch as a replacement for the rotary. It's funny that these old CEs aren't configured to do a regular HB+HB combo -- I'd like to fix that while keeping all the split options. Will report back once I pull the trigger on something!

My 2003 CE24 has covered 57/08’s in it. Excellent for everything I play. The freeway is a good mod that can be reversed. The only that might be necessary is a slight adjustment to the wall of the control cavity. I have a freeway in my SAS. You can get to everything faster.

Last edited:
Following up here six months later to report that I committed to a pair or 57/08s and a free-way switch! Not sure who else needs to hear this, but that definitely did the trick. This guitar is now the ultimate swiss-army knife for my cover band gigs — I can go from chord melody pickin’ to rock riffs without even touching my board. 100% worthwhile investment. As a loyal Fender devotee, I am very pleased. Thank you all for the tips!

Now onto the new problem of getting these winged locking tuners to hold a tune for longer than 10 minutes…

Anyway here’s the new config:
1. Bridge HB
2. HB + HB
3. Neck HB
4. Outer coils in parallel
5. Inner coils in series
6. Inner coils in parallel

Pics here: Before // After

Back