Pickup comparison; 59/09's vs. DGT's

Ape Factory

So I have a few sets of 59/09's (3) and two sets of DGT pickups. One set is marked 59/09 on the front and on the back they say Paul's Dirty 100 as they're out of my PD100. Gold covers on those.

I bought another set of DGT pickups off of a forum member to try in my Gibson ES-333 for kicks, having had a set of 59/09's in there to start. Since I had all these pickups lying around I decided to take ohm readings on all of them and I came back with what I think are some interesting numbers based on which I liked the best.

I'll mark them B (Bass) and T (Treble) to keep them straight.

2012 DGT, all stock, the neck is sometimes a hair dark for me through certain amps and settings but obviously fixed easily with a bit of EQ. Overall the guitar has an exceptional tone and that typical dirty DGT thing going on.
7.41B
8.71T

DGT pickups (not sure what year) I just purchased and put into the ES-333. Originally I was getting a bad hum, pickups didn't sound that great, a bit fuzzy, no clarity, went over all the grounds, etc...then it struck me; soldering iron plugged in and on to the same power source. Doh! Turned it off and WHAM, there it was. Pure magic. With that said, I think the power source for anyone using a Kemper and FRFR's is very important. I actually like these a more than the 59/09's in the same guitar. They have a bit more character, less compression, and the neck pickup has a nice vowel thing going on while the bridge is nice and open with great clarity. It also sounds killer with the coil tap engaged.
7.65B
9.02T

59/09's, set number one. Not sure what year they're from but also purchased from a forum member. I had these in the ES-333 and again, thought they were quite good if not slightly hot for the guitar's character. And the readings bore that out.
8.36B
9.15T

Paul's Dirty 100 set (59/09's)-These have been my favorite in every guitar I've had them in, including the PD100 itself. I originally had them lying around and used them again, in the ES-333 and they were just killer. This set isn't as compressed overall but honestly splitting hairs.
7.88B
8.65T

59/09's set number three. I have this set currently in the Paul's Dirty 100. They're out of an Artist Package, not sure which model. Gold pole pieces, nickel covers. My initial reaction after putting these in the PD100 was they were definitely of the same flavor but I sensed they were ever so slightly hotter. But they still have that wonderful definition and clarity that I love about the 59/09's. They're never dark nor are they ever too bright in this guitar. I also sensed they were pretty balanced and I have to keep the neck pickup pretty low due to changes in volume between the two pickups. A shocker when you look at the readings...
8.30B
8.87T

Added 6/4/14...
57/08's out of a 2011 PRS SC-58
8.54B
9.12T

So there you go. Hope someone finds this as interesting as I did. I was pretty surprised by the variance. Going to keep the DGT's in the ES for a bit I think and put them through the paces. I may end up slotting those PD100 59/09's back in there despite them being gold in color (can't stand gold). They're all great pickups and it makes me want to try a set of 57/08's at some point.

Last edited:
Glad you like the pups Ape, Those DGTs came out of a 2012 Standard. Ive measured a number of DGT pups over the years and cant recall ever having a set in the 9s, but those are a really good sounding set.

I love me some PRSes, and still have never played a guitar with 59/09s in them! Thanks for the tone report!

They definitely suit the 333 which makes a lot of sense since they were modeled after Grissom's favorite 335. The set in my DGT isn't too far off the set you sold me. I'm pretty surprised at how hot the one set of 59/09's is. I've heard the uncovered versions are a bit hotter still.

That's good stuff! I need to look up what values my DGT pickups are running.

I have a spreadsheet written by hand of all sorts of pickups I tried over the years. I should really input that into a computer some day so I can share it.

So...I now have a set of 57/08's out of a 2011 SC-58. Took readings on them and to my surprise, they're hotter than what I expected.
Bass (neck) 8.54ohms
Treble (bridge) 9.12ohms

They definitely have a different voice from a set of 59/09's, more vintage is the only way I can describe them. They also seem to react differently when the volume knob is used. Updated the initial post.
-m

Back