Pickup cavity question

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Recently I wanted to try different pickups in my 1990 custom 24. Unfortunately I cannot put any covered pick ups in the instrument for the pickup cavity is not cut large enough. This includes core Starla pick ups and a Fralin Twang Master. Only uncovered pickups fit.

Does anybody know starting what year pickup cavity cut outs were made larger to accept covered pickups? Shawn if you’re out there maybe you could help.

Thanks all.

Are you having a problem with the pickup ring or the cavity ? I 've had some that are tight but none that would not fit Hmmm

I've put these covers on several pickups from PRS custom 24s

2-3/4" x 1-1/2" x 5/8

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and..._Kits_and_Parts/Humbucking_Pickup_Covers.html

Thanks for reply, I’m not talking about pickup rings. Pickups with covers. They don’t fit in pickup cavities of my older PRS custom 24s 1990 and 1991. Not trying to add covers I want to experiment with other pickups that already have covers. The 59/09 won’t fit, Starla Core won’t fit, and Fralin Twangmaster won’t fit. I want to buy a used CU24 just to experiment with I’m looking To find out what year pickup cavity routing was enlarged to accept covered pickups. I really want to experiment with the twang master you cannot remove the cover of the pick up it is part of the shielding.

Covered pickups have always fit in older PRSes, at least ones I had, no issues.

Really? I must be the unlucky one. I have others that I don’t want to modify, keep them original. Next string change I’ll take some measurements, I’m telling ya the cavity corners are off by like a 16th of an inch. I’m gonna keep an eye out for a used cu24 to experiment with, hopefully late 90’s and early 2000s, preferably with a three way toggle. Wondering is there was a particular year PRS started making the cavities larger to accept covered pickups, maybe the move to the second factory. What year PRS guitars were you able to install covered PUPS?

Really? I must be the unlucky one. I have others that I don’t want to modify, keep them original. Next string change I’ll take some measurements, I’m telling ya the cavity corners are off by like a 16th of an inch. I’m gonna keep an eye out for a used cu24 to experiment with, hopefully late 90’s and early 2000s, preferably with a three way toggle. Wondering is there was a particular year PRS started making the cavities larger to accept covered pickups, maybe the move to the second factory. What year PRS guitars were you able to install covered PUPS?

1991 CU24, 1993 Artist II. I wound up putting the originals back in the Artist II, but not because the others didn’t fit.

That is strange if it fits in the pickup ring it should fit in the guitar. Can you shot a pic for us ?

It's not uncommon in older PRS. We simply didn't offer covered pickups back then, so the cavities didn't need to be large enough to accommodate covered pups.

Which is fine, love my old PRS’s. Is there a particular year when the pickup cavities became more uniform?

The cavities became bigger when we started offering covered pickups, sometime around 1993-ish

Thanks Shawn, much appreciated. Most of mine are signatures or limited editions so I don’t mess with them. My favorite old work horse from 1990 cu24. I put a Tremonti in the bridge position. Sounds awesome. (More mids than HFS, nothing wrong with HFS).

Last edited:
That is strange if it fits in the pickup ring it should fit in the guitar. Can you shot a pic for us ?

Going to hold off on photos, strings have be on for two days, Don’t want to take them off yet. Shawn confirmed my situation and answered my questions. I will post photos after next string change. Thanks

The cavities became bigger when we started offering covered pickups, sometime around 1993-ish
Commenting on a 4 year old post, but I just tried putting covered pickups in my '96 CE, and they don't fit. They're just a bit too small. Am I just out of luck?

Commenting on a 4 year old post, but I just tried putting covered pickups in my '96 CE, and they don't fit. They're just a bit too small. Am I just out of luck?

Could be. I just looked down at my ‘91 neck pickup and I can tell I wouldn’t be able to fit a covered pickup.

SMFXvbg.jpg

Back