Personal Wood Library

+1

-1 (but you're close, Tim, muh man!)

Carlo??

I am at work so can't see teh pics now.... but I think there was some flamed koa in there??

And I am pretty sure there was a piece of foassilised burl Antarctic Jabbawokki???

Last edited:
I'll venture some wild guesses.
I'd really like 1 to be Myrtle, but parts of it seem to dark, which tempts me to wonder if you found a gnarly cocobolo.
2 has some of the quality of Royal Macassar, which I'd like to build something from one day because of the great contrast between the dark and the light sapwood - samples I've seen are blacker than this though and don't have as prominent a grain.
The spalt on 3 disguises the underlying wood - which I want to be maple, but the grain in the center doesn't is far from typical of maple.

So, I don't really know enough to say anything but that I like them.

I'll venture some wild guesses.
I'd really like 1 to be Myrtle, but parts of it seem to dark, which tempts me to wonder if you found a gnarly cocobolo.
2 has some of the quality of Royal Macassar, which I'd like to build something from one day because of the great contrast between the dark and the light sapwood - samples I've seen are blacker than this though and don't have as prominent a grain.
The spalt on 3 disguises the underlying wood - which I want to be maple, but the grain in the center doesn't is far from typical of maple.

So, I don't really know enough to say anything but that I like them.

Peter:
I wondered when you were going to chime in. #3 is indeed spalted maple.

3 right so far, guys !

I haven't got the pics at the moment.... but was one Mac' Ebony Sapwood?? with like so much sapwood there is hardly any ebony left??

When I looked this morning I actually thought one was a figured ELM!! But I woudl have to look at the pic again when I get home!!

Last edited:
Did I ever tell the story of how I met 11Top?? It was many many years ago before BAM..... I was young and easily influenced..... We met over the internet..... he used to send me pictures of his wood!!!!!!

Back