Paul's weekly "Guitar Talk"

I think that might be the most beautiful PRS I've ever seen.
I'm usually not a big fan of quilt over flame, but it's PERFECT for this. It looks like real flames (not flame, FLAMES)

I can be fine with either or simple plain tops but I get what you mean. If it popped any more it would self combust.

I spoke with Johns Hopkins today and I was told that the guitar will be auction off during the annual PRS sponsored concert. No date has been set for the convcert yet, but I told them there was interest in online bidding, so as soon as I get more info, I will post it here.
Shawn, do you have an idea what time of the year the auction will be? Before year end? First part of next year? And do you happen to know about how much the guitar weighs?

My ears perked up when they were sanding frets and the dude said “I usually use 400 grit unless they’re stainless”!!!!!!!!! Can you order stainless frets through private stock? Also, where’s the plek machine? :p

In the second video of final assembly Paul talks about the Dragon Guitar that was a reject cause of a large 2” curl in the middle of the top, this is the guitar he is talking about and when I saw it in person I never in a million years would think that would be a reject

WoVxyjom.jpg

L4VRpz0m.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is how I would "wind down" at the end of the day. I'd put my headphones on and watch the next series of videos until it was time to turn out the lights and go to sleep. I ended up watching this every evening for four days. THANK YOU for posting!!!!!!

As the guitar was developing I thought to myself, "I hope they do a dragon's breath finish over that quilted maple. It would look great." I was SO excited when I saw the stain!! The headstock overlay REALLY adds to overall visual appeal of the instrument.

Just wanted to post how much I appreciate this level of detail being available to watch on the forum. I had seen the "official" PRS factory tour videos, but this series of videos is, BY FAR, the best I've seen in terms of watching the construction of a PRS. THANKS!

This thread is how I would "wind down" at the end of the day. I'd put my headphones on and watch the next series of videos until it was time to turn out the lights and go to sleep. I ended up watching this every evening for four days. THANK YOU for posting!!!!!!

As the guitar was developing I thought to myself, "I hope they do a dragon's breath finish over that quilted maple. It would look great." I was SO excited when I saw the stain!! The headstock overlay REALLY adds to overall visual appeal of the instrument.

Just wanted to post how much I appreciate this level of detail being available to watch on the forum. I had seen the "official" PRS factory tour videos, but this series of videos is, BY FAR, the best I've seen in terms of watching the construction of a PRS. THANKS!

I'm glad you enjoyed the process. I filmed a similar set of videos during the build-process for my own personal guitar. If you're interested, you can check it out here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/shawns-15-year-employee-guitar-start-to-finish.26606/

I'm glad you enjoyed the process. I filmed a similar set of videos during the build-process for my own personal guitar. If you're interested, you can check it out here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/shawns-15-year-employee-guitar-start-to-finish.26606/

It's already on the "list". I jumped to the end and saw the photo of your three guitars. I'll definitely watch this series as well.

I have a guitar on order right now. I wish I could follow it along the production process. Given I'm in California, I think the commute would be an issue......

Again, thanks for this. It's REALLY fantastic.

Some of you may remember that I mentioned Paul hosts a weekly "Guitar Talk" session for employees. He discusses everything from headstock shapes to strap buttons. Well it seems I've convinced him that we should build an actual guitar from start to finish during these meetings. Many of us at PRS have worked in various departments within the factory, but few of us have worked in ALL of the departments. For example, I've never worked in the electronics department or the buffing room. So, by building a guitar with this group, it will give us all the opportunity to help build a complete guitar through every single process. I'm hoping the film and photo crew (I'm looking at you Hunter and Andrew) will document the process to create a cool youtube video in the end. I will also take photos/videos with my phone and post them here, if you guys are interested. In the end the guitar will be given away to charity.
I'd like to see that, sounds great!

Back