Paul's Guitar versus Modern Eagle V

bluemoon

Struggling with this decision. I think I love the simplicity of Paul's guitar. Almost feel like the MEV has too many options. I think the specs are close other than the middle pickup, right?

Having had both, the ONLY one of the two I'd want again would be a Paul's Guitar. I had two before, both with trems. I preferred them over the ME-V because the sounds were better. Granted, they were pre-TCI. The tones were fatter than the ME-V.

I have both. The MEV isn’t too complicated. It has a lot of options, but it makes sense. If you are comfortable with a 5 way blade, you will be fine.
I like the 2/4 sounds that I can’t get with the Paul’s Guitar. If you don’t care about that or the trem, you won’t be missing anything with the Paul’s Guitar.
I find the neck pickups to be very similar. The Paul’s Guitar bridge pickup seems to have a little more attitude than the MEV.
I have had the Paul’s Guitar for a few years, the MEV for a few weeks. Maybe it’s the honeymoon phase, but I think I would choose the MEV over the Paul’s Guitar if I were in a store and was only going home with one of them.

Own neither but have played quite a few of both. The Paul's guitar always went back on the hanger, and I've stopped even demoing them. I always grab a MEV, and it's all I could to talk myself out of a couple.

The 509 and 513 have been high on my list for a long time. To the point that it was absolutely going to be my next guitar. Just was waiting for the right one. Then I played a MEV and the 5xx slowly became an after thought.

It's obvious my vote is MEV all the way.

I don't really use the trem on my strats. In fact, I tend to deck them on my Fenders.

As a side note, is there any advantage in getting a brand new "24" model versus a "23" model on a PRS? I don't plan to sell the guitar--but you never know. The 2023 Paul's I've seen and talked to the dealers about have a decent cost savings versus a 2024 model.

I don't use my trem all that much either, but nice to have. It comes down to ergonomics and setup more than anything for me. PRS trem is the best in the business. Period.

Anyone got thoughts on a brand new 2023 model versus 2024. Not real upside in going with a 2024 if the cost of the 2023 is less, right?

I really like the tailpiece on the Paul’s and find it the easiest to palm mute with and wonder how the one on the MEV is in comparison. I really love positions 2 and 4 on my Strats (and SS) so am very intrigued by the MEV and its broader options. If it was available as a Core model when I got the Paul’s, I would definitely have chosen the MEV. But its all good - as others have mentioned, I like the simplicity of it and just getting on and playin!

Back