Paul's sustain test?

Solteroblues

I was at a meet and greet with Paul a month or so ago, and he mentioned a test that he did (maybe still does) to test the sustain on a guitar. He was talking about the old Classic Fenders and Gibsons from the 50's, and how he measures a guitar is how long it rings out. He said when they were developing the 594's, I think, was when he really started comparing. Seems like he said anything over 45 seconds was what made a good guitar a great one... I just don't remember the specifics. Like was he talking about the guitar when unplugged or amped? Playing a chord or single string?

Does anyone here know what they do and how they do it?

The reason I ask is on my new 35th Anniversary, I knew it rang out longer than any of my others, so I had it plugged up the other night, and just started fooling around with it. I had it plugged up to my MT15, highest gain settings, and hit the low E. It kept going for over 3 minutes!!!! But, I think the amp was making it feedback and maybe that was what I was hearing, but it didn't stop until I touched the string to stop the vibration, and I could still feel it. I just don't think it was an accurate, very scientific test.

Yeah, that's just "controlled feedback", for lack of a batter term.

Sustain needs to be measured without a feedback source, so unplugged (or plugged in using headphones if you want, I suppose). Not aware of PRSh's specific test method.

You could plug the guitar into a TC Polytune,
tune it up, strum across the open strings and
measure how long the LEDs stay lit.

He just grabs a guitar off the wall and picks a note, then does the same thing with another brand. There are videos out there of him doing it at clinics

Back