Paul is selling his killer 1958 Goldtop!!!

nicolasrivera

And one question comes to mind.. why is he selling it?

Is @ Elderly's website.

30U-18394_case-open_zps86e64f5f.jpg

30U-18394_front_zpsfb30399a.jpg

30U-18394_back_zps21ac51c2.jpg

30U-18394_body-front_zps9b1557b1.jpg

30U-18394_headstock-front_zpse07b80cf.jpg

30U-18394_switch_zpsa039e6cc.jpg

30U-18394_pickups_zps26d8eed1.jpg

That is a cool guitar. Isn't that the one that we've seen in PRS videos comparing with the tone of the SC-58? (and presumably used as the tone inspiration?) Maybe I have it wrong.

Regarding why get rid of it. Who knows? Maybe it just outlived his use for it.

In 1993 I got a call from my local guitar store. The owner had a 1953 Goldtop LP with a trapeze tailpiece and P-90s. Was I interested?

Well, I went and looked, and played it. I remember the case being opened, and the musty smell, and of course the guitar looked pretty much like Paul's, roughly the same condition. The owner wanted around $3500 for it, and that seemed like a lot to me for an old beat-up thing with green "goo" where one's forearm rests. I wandered around the store, thinking about it. I knew old guitars were starting to become valuable, but...

That's when I spotted a new Artist II hanging on the wall. It was gorgeous, played better than the goldtop, and sounded better, too. I bought it on the spot. And it was shiny and came in a leather case. I was in heaven.

So...I'm thinking maybe Paul found a really nice Artist II and is selling the goldie to fund it? ;)

I drive an old Land Rover Defender. I could sell it and buy a much nicer (and more capable) truck with the money but I don't. It's an appreciating asset that set the standard for what it does. It has a unique appeal that can't be duplicated. It's a clunky, uncomfortable, spartan, icon. Yet, somehow, it fits me like an old pair of blue jeans that might just make it a other week if I'm careful not to wash them.

If I had the money and needed a new truck, I wouldn't buy the Rover. It's only worth it (to me) because I bought it when it wasn't as desirable (and was less expensive). I got when I could use it as intended - which is why I fell in love with it. If I paid the big money for it now, I'm not sure I'd ever truly enjoy it. I would be too afraid to screw it up.

There will come a point with old Defenders that only die-hard enthisiasts, collectors, and rich guys will have them. John Mayer could drive any car he wants and he drives one just like mine. Same color too.

I regard that '58 Les Paul the same way I regard my truck.

Last edited:
I still say if that one was indeed the one that was used as the "benchmark" for PRS singlecuts and some of the puckups then it'd be more significant to me than most other vintage Gibsons.

In 1993 I got a call from my local guitar store. The owner had a 1953 Goldtop LP with a trapeze tailpiece and P-90s. Was I interested?

Well, I went and looked, and played it. I remember the case being opened, and the musty smell, and of course the guitar looked pretty much like Paul's, roughly the same condition. The owner wanted around $3500 for it, and that seemed like a lot to me for an old beat-up thing with green "goo" where one's forearm rests. I wandered around the store, thinking about it. I knew old guitars were starting to become valuable, but...

That's when I spotted a new Artist II hanging on the wall. It was gorgeous, played better than the goldtop, and sounded better, too. I bought it on the spot. And it was shiny and came in a leather case. I was in heaven.

So...I'm thinking maybe Paul found a really nice Artist II and is selling the goldie to fund it? ;)

I had a 53 with the Trapeeze Tailpiece at one time. Those things are impossible to keep in tune. The Tailpiece moved while you played the Guitar.............

Back