Paul is selling his killer 1958 Goldtop!!!

Personally, I would leave it as a personal matter.

Oh agreed but I didn't mean personal/financial specifics, I just meant about whatever he talks about in the letter Edlerly claims he wrote for it for the story. They actually decided to upload the letter and you'll see why I wanted to ask him - he is simply poetic in describing what this guitar meant to him and the company.

30U-18394_letter.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that's pretty much a definitive answer to the original question I think.

I can think of a hundred thousand reasons.

I can think of 408 reasons.

You guys are quick! Both had me laughing. :congrats:

In 1993 I got a call from my local guitar store. The owner had a 1953 Goldtop LP with a trapeze tailpiece and P-90s. Was I interested?

Well, I went and looked, and played it. I remember the case being opened, and the musty smell, and of course the guitar looked pretty much like Paul's, roughly the same condition. The owner wanted around $3500 for it, and that seemed like a lot to me for an old beat-up thing with green "goo" where one's forearm rests. I wandered around the store, thinking about it. I knew old guitars were starting to become valuable, but...

That's when I spotted a new Artist II hanging on the wall. It was gorgeous, played better than the goldtop, and sounded better, too. I bought it on the spot. And it was shiny and came in a leather case. I was in heaven.

So...I'm thinking maybe Paul found a really nice Artist II and is selling the goldie to fund it? ;)

Les,
My very first PRS was a purple Artist 2. I had that guitar for a long time, and it sounded unreal. My Gibson 347, R9 and R8 all came and went because they just could not match the tone of that beast. I mistakingly let it go, and went through LOTS of CU22 APs, and ME1s trying to get that tone again. Everyone sounded great, but IMO, not quite as good as that purple Artist 2. Thats when I started searching one out, and came across the teal black Artist 3 that Markie now owns and has just put up for sale. I got it from that guy in Vegas who everyone seemed to hate (cant remember his name, ah Ed Roman!) but he was good to me. He told me that one was the most resonate PRS he had ever played. I thought it was tyupical salesman BS, but when it got here, i played 2-3 notes acoustically and my jaw dropped. He was right, it was almost magical. It was not until a few months later that I found out by calling PRS that it was semi hollow. I never even noticed it had a much thicker body than the 4-5 other CU 22s i had at the time, but ed did not notice it either! The certificate was missing where it would have said that, and I am sure Ed would have charged me more if he knew it, as they are so rare. Anyway, THAT is what made it so resonate, and as you now know, 3 PS artist 3 semi hollows later, I found found my perfect electric guitar. Why PRS does not offer this as an option I just cant figure. The CU 22 semi hollow LTDs are fantastic guitars, but the deeper body of these just adds that much more depth and resonance to the tone, and I am not sure why, but they may sound better WITHOUT the F hole! It seems the woods start vibrating, and the lack of F hole keeps the vibrations in the wood longer. Sounds kind of silly, but I have had 2 of each for a few years and could compare them side by side. I love both, but I kind of dig the no0n F hole semi hollow a little more because of that resonance. :)

Last edited:
Oh agreed but I didn't mean personal/financial specifics, I just meant about whatever he talks about in the letter Edlerly claims he wrote for it for the story. They actually decided to upload the letter and you'll see why I wanted to ask him - he is simply poetic in describing what this guitar meant to him and the company.

30U-18394_letter.jpg

Love it.

I had a 53 with the Trapeeze Tailpiece at one time. Those things are impossible to keep in tune. The Tailpiece moved while you played the Guitar.............

You're so right, the one I played was an example of "Wow, a '53 LP" as opposed to, "Wow, this thing is an amazing guitar, they sure don't build guitars like this any more yada yada!"

Les,
My very first PRS was a purple Artist 2. I had that guitar for a long time, and it sounded unreal.

I foolishly sold mine, too, for some now-obsolete piece of studio gear no doubt. It was heads and shoulders the best guitar I ever played up to that time. I still feel goofy about letting it go.

Although...

My Artist V is an even better (for me) instrument. I believe that it's an improvement over the good things my old II had going on.

For instance, the II's promotion touted its thin finish (compared to most poly PRSes it seemed much thinner, so maybe that was part of what made it such a nice instrument) and the Artist pickups, etc. And the V has the thinner V12 finish and newer Artist pickups. I can't comment on the effect of the finish, but I like the pickups a TON more.

But honestly, all of the little improvements that PRS has made over the years on their solid bodies seems to have culminated in the V. It's a beautiful sounding guitar. Not as versatile as the Sig Ltd, maybe, but certainly a unique and wonderful voice. My reaction to it is stronger even that my reaction to the II.

Sorry to derail the thread with this! ;)

Last edited:
So does this mean the new SC245 now has the tone of the 58 LP according to Paul? Or is it more of an overall legendary guitar build instruction tool thing?

30U-18394_letter.jpg

Thank you, this pretty much answers my question.

Too bad he is not a vintage collector tho.

Back