Pattern vs pattern thin

gioforce76

Bartender to the stars
I’m just curious if there’s is much difference between patter and pattern thin or wide fat and wide thin. I have too custom 22 with wide fat . The guitar center near me barely ever have and Prs guitars and of them do they usually have the fatter necks or pattern regular. I’ve always wanted to try a wide thin but I was curious if they are that much different in size. I saw a custom 24 I really liked online and it has a pattern thin. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

I have one PRS with a wide thin neck, Custom 24. The neck is thinner but is not like an Ibanez Wizard neck. It is definitely noticeable. They are the same width as the wide fat so the real difference is in the thickness of the neck and how that feels. I prefer the wide fat and pattern vintage necks from PRS. I have one PRS with a pattern regular neck and a DGT that are different but not so much that it throws me off.

I have small hands and have guitars with most of the necks. My CE22 says "W/F" but it's def a wide thin, since I also have a Wide fat and the Wide Fat is thicker. I really prefer the pattern and pattern thin, and my Santana is awesome as well. I would say, yes, there is definitely a difference between them, but not to say you couldn't transition without issue. I don't see wide thin as much any more except the SE line. My understanding the Wide Thin is ever so slightly a wider neck. I found this site rather helpful:

I find the difference between Wide/Thin and Wide/Fat to be significant. I can play W/T all day, but W/F just doesn't work for me unless the action and string tension are very low. And even then it's not too comfortable. Regular/Standard is my favorite. I can't speak to the pattern carves.

I tend to play with my thumb over the top of the neck which is probably the main reason W/F doesn't work for me but the other narrower/thinner carves do.

I have all the neck types PRS offers in my pile o' guitars and honestly, I like them all. Sure I can feel a difference, but they all work for me just fine. I find that I'm much more particular about fret board radius than neck size (within reason), and though I wouldn't want a neck that is physically any smaller than the PRS Wide Thin, I get along with it just fine... Fret board radii larger than about 10" - however - and I start having problems, especially with a wider neck... My fretting hand style is thumb-over craw (look at how Hendrix held his guitars - that's me) so most Les Pauls I can manage okay, but things like the Jem neck just destroy my left hand in my old age... That being said, I feel perfectly at home on everything from a Silver Sky to a McCarty 594 to a CU24 with little or no adjustment needed...

Back