Pattern thin or Pattern Regular for fast playing?

Isaac cruz

My next PRS is probably going to be a Custom 24. This guitar has to have a "fast" feeling neck that makes playing some modern styles very easy.

I saw one that I liked but noticed that it has a "Pattern regular" neck profile. Would that neck do for what I described?

I think that 'speed' comes from numerous factors - the radius of the fretboard, the tension in the strings, the action of the strings, the shape and thickness of the neck, the position of the guitar (like the way it hangs and length of the strap), the gauge of the strings etc etc.

However, the one thing that matters in all of this is the musician, their comfort and what suits them best. There are some fast playing musicians that prefer a thicker neck, a shorter scale length, a more curved fretboard radius for example whilst another can only play fast if the neck is ridiculously thin with a very flat fretboard, thinner strings and a longer scale length.

What may suit me for playing 'fast' may not be what suits you. Admittedly, a lot of players known for speed do tend to gravitate to the skinnier necks and flatter radius fretboards - something like an Ibanez wizard neck for example - that is commonly associated with Shredders. Yngwie though plays a Strat with a typical strat neck, scalloped frets and I think the 7.25" fretboard Radius - its certainly not as flat as the 10" radius of a PRS. There are quite a few artists tat aren't slow that play PRS...

The best bet is to go to a store, try a Pattern Thin Neck and see if you feel most comfortable playing this. If you are not fast and are hoping to get 'fast', then find the neck that feels most comfortable to you because to get fast, you will need to practice, practice and practice. If you pick a guitar that isn't the most comfortable, then that will impact on how much practice you can do. Anything that can help you practice more without causing pain/discomfort etc the better.

Of course, if you are already fast, you must know that in which case, you will know that the guitar that feels the best to you is the guitar to buy for shredding...

Definitely pattern thin for me but everyone is different. I can shred on pattern thin whereas pattern regular i'm a little slower.

I would say it depens of the size of your hands.

For me it's definitely wide fat profile.

I played ibanez wizard necks for decades. Got into PRS, and have played both thin and fat neck shapes. I found I can play equally fast on any shape, just need to play on it for a couple weeks. Now I have like 6 different neck profiles and have no preference.

I do get the relief and action set up, and have had a couple plek'd. I play with pretty low action. And JP jazz III picks.

My next PRS is probably going to be a Custom 24. This guitar has to have a "fast" feeling neck that makes playing some modern styles very easy.

I saw one that I liked but noticed that it has a "Pattern regular" neck profile. Would that neck do for what I described?

It's entirely subjective. Zakk Wylde has a damn telephone pole on his guitar. Angus Young is said to have owned SGs with 1.500" nut width. Buckethead supposedly is so tall, he needs a custom sized guitar

I can't compare the pattern regular because I don't have one. But I can say I can play my PRS CE24 with pattern thin faster AND easier than my Strat. But it does have a larger radius, longer scale, higher action and thick neck with gloss finish so not the best comparison. But I also find the CE neck WAY better (faster and easier to play) than my old PRS SE Santana. ...That one has a shorter scale length and thicker neck with gloss finish. (still not the best comparison). But with all that said, I seem to be able to get used to the different neck shapes pretty easy so I expect you'll be okay with either.

I'm sure everyone will agree, you might have to get your hands on them to really know.

To each their own, but I'd suspect that on average "fast" technical players gravitate towards the pattern thin, especially among more modern metal players. However, one could argue that a lot of jazz players, who are also fast and technical, are on average comfortable playing a Pattern or Pattern Regular necks.

My CU24 with PT is the easiest to get around on cf. to my other PRSi

Having played almost all PRS neck profiles both old and new ones, I'd say that all shapes don't really matter speed - they affect comfortableness. Yes, I can play on my '05 Singlecut at the same speed as on my '13 CU24 and McCarty as well.

But the thing is, I can play much longer on the thin neck than fat/pattern before getting fatigue. And the longer I can spend time on it, the more happy I get. So I prefer wide thin/pattern thin neck. I even slimmed down my ME rosewood neck just to make it more comfy to my taste.

After all, this is kinda personal preference as ppl said above. Just sharing a different point of view though.

https://imgur.com/kPzVmA7

https://imgur.com/PeZI7p

kPzVmA7

PeZI7pJ

Last edited:
Back