Parallel Serial wiring with push-pull?

Dusty Chalk

alberngruppenführer
I'm swapping pups on one of my SE Custom 24/7s to humbucker-sized P90s, so I don't need the coil-tap wiring no mo' -- I was wondering if I could do something like what the 5-way rotary switch did, switch from series to parallel? I understand this won't do anything except when the 3-way switch is in the "both" position, but I still wouldn't mind it.

Would I need knew electronics?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Are the P90’s single conductor wiring? If so you won’t be able to electrically reverse the phase without picking up tons of noise from the shielding (not mention it’s really difficult to not accidentally ground them dead when you make the shielding hot).

Don't remember, already handed them over to the tech (I'm too much of a newb with a a soldering iron to do it myself).

But I thought about this, and it should be this:

3-way switch remains the same; push-pull changes the polarity of one of the pickups.

Right?

Also: thanks, @bodia ! Cheers, and right back at you all -- nice to see so many familiar faces.

Last edited:
Are the P90’s single conductor wiring?
So first of all, am I right that my only option is to swap the polarity of just one of them? And is that even going to do anything that far apart? Should I bother? I think it'll be slightly different.

They're Bareknuckle Nantucket P90s, so they're 2 conductor + screen. So if there's a wiring diagram for a guitar with one tone knob, one volume knob, a 3-way switch, and the push-pull pot switching the polarity of one of the pups, I'd be much obliged to anyone who could provide me that.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice/admonishments/articulate alliteration...

So first of all, am I right that my only option is to swap the polarity of just one of them? And is that even going to do anything that far apart? Should I bother? I think it'll be slightly different.

They're Bareknuckle Nantucket P90s, so they're 2 conductor + screen. So if there's a wiring diagram for a guitar with one tone knob, one volume knob, a 3-way switch, and the push-pull pot switching the polarity of one of the pups, I'd be much obliged to anyone who could provide me that.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice/admonishments/articulate alliteration...
I'm not an expert...if you switch the polarity of both pickups they will still be in phase.

I was looking at my old Craig Anderton electronics for musicians book and I'd think the parallel/series could work with a push pull.

Based on the few images of those pickups yes the tech will be able to wire the push/pull to reverse the phase on one pickup causing them to be out of phase. It’s really not a difficult mod (maybe level 3 soldering skill required), but better to have someone do it if you aren’t comfortable.

Back