P22 Battery ?

jbloggs

Can I use a rechargeable battery in the p22?

Dont want to risk the piezo.

Thanks

Try to A/B them if you do it and see if they sound any different. If it all works out, please post the battery brand(s)/models that work for you!

I'd try myself, but I don't have a piezo yet.

If you remember to charge up the battery "regularly" (and that will depend very strongly on usage), a good rechargeable battery is just as good as a regular battery (assuming, as Kazz suggests, that the rechargeable works in the first place, which it should). The one advantage a regular battery has is that it will hint when it starts dying. Rechargeable batteries tend to have a very flat voltage behavior and then fall off a cliff, whereas regular ones slowly drop over time, and the piezo circuit usually starts sounding a little buzzy and lower in volume as the battery reaches end-of-life. And of course the cost difference: a rechargeable will cost you four/five/ten times the price of a regular battery, plus cost of charger, and if you only need to swap your piezo battery once every year or so, you may never see the return on investment.

I use rechargeables for my wireless beltpack, but regular 9-volts for my piezos. That's what works for me. YMMV.

Other than the chance of it no longer having a charge when you would like to use it, I don't think there is a problem.

Some of the newer rechargeables like Eneloop are pretty good about holding most of their charge while they're sitting around. They do lose a bit, but they're not all like the old rechargeables that would just keep discharging down to nothing over a fairly short time.

If you haven't tried any, I'd recommend Eneloop AAs for just about anything that takes 'em. They're all I've been using for several years, I use them every day, and I'm still happy with them. :)

Some of the newer rechargeables like Eneloop are pretty good about holding most of their charge while they're sitting around. They do lose a bit, but they're not all like the old rechargeables that would just keep discharging down to nothing over a fairly short time.

If you haven't tried any, I'd recommend Eneloop AAs for just about anything that takes 'em. They're all I've been using for several years, I use them every day, and I'm still happy with them. :)
+1. I use Eneloops for camera flashes and Guitar and vocal wireless belt loops.

I just realized I hadn't posted something amusing:

So 4 hours after my last post, I was playing a quick 4-song mini-set (part of a multi-band benefit gig) and half-way through the second song my SE Angelus acoustic starts to warble, wobble, and fall down - the battery dies, no warning (the battery test lamp came on just fine when plugging in, tuner worked fine, etc, not five minutes earlier). I was just doing a quick lead break to someone else's rhythm guitar, and I managed to swap it out before the start of the next song, so no real panic, but annoying!

I usually replace my batteries yearly, but it appears I gig and practice/record plugged in too much now, so every six months it will be. I wrote the month and year on the battery with a sharpie to remind me (and just in case I forget and/or it dies early, so I can collect some metrics).

And that was a Duracell copper top...

Thanks guys

Only play at home so battery going flat isnt really a problem

I wrote the month and year on the battery with a sharpie to remind me

-I do that with the 9volts in our smoke detectors ( 3 off) generally last ayear and they're only cheapie chinese in blister packs. Wouldnt use one of them in my P22 in case it leaked.

I use rechargeable batteries for just about everything, including my P22.
I bought this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EBL-4-Pcs-9V...822014?hash=item20f7a6433e:g:NscAAOSwBLlU97gC

Works for pedals and such as well. I just swap the battery before a gig to make sure, as they don't last quite as long as alkaline. Zero problems after many months, and I have stopped throwing batteries away.
I also use Eneloops in my dual wireless system for the P22.

Back