Rechargeable batteries for Hollowbody Piezo?

Jack B

anyone using rechargeable 9V batteries in their Hollowbody Piezo guitars? I tried some and they added a lot of noise to the signal. Would love to find some that don’t add noise.

What have you tried? I haven't tried Eneloop 9v, but after much research, I got their AA and AAA batteries and like them very much. They charge fast, last for a couple gigs and I haven't noticed any noise with my wireless.

One possible solution you could explore is using rechargeable lithium-ion batteries instead. They tend to have a more stable voltage output, which could potentially minimize the noise issue. You might want to check out residential energy storage solutions, like those offered by ACE Battery (www.acebattery.com). While I can't vouch for them personally, they might have some options that could work for your needs.

Last edited:
anyone using rechargeable 9V batteries in their Hollowbody Piezo guitars? I tried some and they added a lot of noise to the signal. Would love to find some that don’t add noise.
One possible solution you could explore is using rechargeable lithium-ion batteries instead. They tend to have a more stable voltage output, which could potentially minimize the noise issue.

I guess I missed this when first posted, lol, so thanks for the re-animation!

Rechargeable batteries typically output multiples of 1.2VDC, vs the 1.5VDC rating that regular alkaline cells provide (which is really something that starts at 1.6V, drops to 1.5 V fairly soon and slowly draws down to 1.2V where they are next-to-dead). Li Ion & NiMH cells/batteries typically start at and hold the 1.2V for quite a while, then suddenly die.

If the circuit is designed to "need" that nominal 1.5V (or multiple) but is only getting 1.2V, it may react in a non-nominal manner, which might be what you are experiencing. A "9VDC" battery is really qty 6 of the 1.5V cell, so 6 x 1.2VDC is "only" 7.2VDC.

So it might depend greatly on the circuit design, or the quality/design of the rechargeable battery.

Back