Original style speed knobs?

jtbadge

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologize in advance.

I'm shopping for a Custom 24/22 and notice many owners have swapped the knobs for the newer geometric lamphade. These are great looking knobs but I do prefer the speed knob look and function. Is there anywhere currently to source the original black PRS speed knobs - without the hash marks between the numbers?

I know this is extremely specific, but the SE knobs have the little hashmarks like every other black speed knob and the original PRS knobs only had the numbers.

I have swapped the knobs on two of my guitars that I remember for sure. It has been so long since I looked at the original knobs that I would never have remembered them only having the numbers on them. I may have to pull a set out and look at them. I have kept the stock knobs in the case so they could be put back on if that was ever a desire of mine or if I ever sold the guitars all of the original parts would go with it.

I just looked at a photo of my first year (I believe it was a 2000) Singlecut, and the speed knobs have hash marks between the numbers.

Here's a 1992 model, and it appears to also have hash marks between the numbers. I had one like it in Teal Black, with black knobs, but I can't find a pic.

What you're looking for might not exist.

I just looked at a photo of my first year (I believe it was a 2000) Singlecut, and the speed knobs have hash marks between the numbers.

Here's a 1992 model, and it appears to also have hash marks between the numbers. I had one like it in Teal Black, with black knobs, but I can't find a pic.

What you're looking for might not exist.
Oh they're real. I have 2 with them. A 1997 McCarty and a 2009 SCHB. I've only ever been able to find numberless and hash-less speed knobs when looking for these.

If I could find them easily and inexpensively, I'd put them on everything, including the lampshade-equipped guitars.

Just checked Ol 85, yep just numbers, no hash marks.
But as to actually finding any to buy?
I did not find any on Reverb or eBay unfortunately.
Going to be a search for some old original ones I fear.

Now I'm no expert and might not really be qualified to properly answer the question, but thinking back, I seem to remember early PRS knobs to be the same as, or very similar to Gibson's amber speed knobs. Are they different?

This thread had me very interested to see what the knobs looked like that I took off of two of my 2006 guitars. Well, well, they only have numbers on them. I had no memory of them being made this way. I know I have two more guitars with black knobs just like these still on them. I learned something new today...

I have not seen these knobs for sale anywhere at this point.

This thread had me very interested to see what the knobs looked like that I took off of two of my 2006 guitars. Well, well, they only have numbers on them. I had no memory of them being made this way. I know I have two more guitars with black knobs just like these still on them. I learned something new today...

I have not seen these knobs for sale anywhere at this point.
Also my 02 ce22 has the numbers only black knobs so it seems they were popular for quite some time.

Interesting thread to me because last year I bought enough new knobs to redo my Bernie Marsdens and old CE22's.

After a while, I wound up putting the old gold speed knobs back on!

I like the color and look better.

I do like the feel of the newer knobs but prefer gold over amber.

AllParts might have the knobs the OP is looking for.

Interesting thread to me because last year I bought enough new knobs to redo my Bernie Marsdens and old CE22's.

After a while, I wound up putting the old gold speed knobs back on!

I like the color and look better.

I do like the feel of the newer knobs but prefer gold over amber.

AllParts might have the knobs the OP is looking for.
One thing I think the older speed knobs are much better at is for use on a tone control that has a push pull switch on it. It is much easier for me to grab and pull the speed knob than it is with the lampshade knobs. I much prefer the look of the lampshades but for function, the speed knobs work better for the push pull. I am good with either on the volume since I typically move that with my pinky and the low friction PRS pots move easy enough that the knob doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

One thing I think the older speed knobs are much better at is for use on a tone control that has a push pull switch on it. It is much easier for me to grab and pull the speed knob than it is with the lampshade knobs. I much prefer the look of the lampshades but for function, the speed knobs work better for the push pull. I am good with either on the volume since I typically move that with my pinky and the low friction PRS pots move easy enough that the knob doesn't seem to make a difference for me.
Having grown up on old Gibsons, I really like those tall speed knobs. They made them in two sizes in the 50's.

Quite a few Gibson lapsteels got the taller one.

I like the PRS lampshade knobs but find the amber color a little somber.

I'd rather they were gold.

Having grown up on old Gibsons, I really like those tall speed knobs. They made them in two sizes in the 50's.

Quite a few Gibson lapsteels got the taller one.

I like the PRS lampshade knobs but find the amber color a little somber.

I'd rather they were gold.
The amber color of them actually looks better against the finishes of the guitars that I put them on. I may have to pull a set of the old ones back out but I don't think the amber color is all that different in them. To me it was more the shape looked better on the guitar.

Back