jak3af3r

Jake
New member here. I don't have enough posts to post any links for pictures yet so I'll let you imagine what I have in your imagination until then.

In order of acquisition,

2007 SE Custom (before there was a 22/24 fret option) in Grey Black with a trem. This was my first electric guitar and what really got me into PRS as a brand. My hands are alien acidic and the original pickup pole-pieces started rusting so I had them replaced with two EMG 89's (scandalous, I know, but it's an SE) and had another hole drilled in between the factory pots-think Bernie knob layout. So now it has a 3-way toggle, two volumes, one tone with independent coil splits on the volume pots.

2010 Custom 24 in Angry Larry with rosewood neck with the "standard" carve. I bought this one after maybe two months of searching for this exact combination that wasn't an anniversary model because I hated the birds on those models. This one I got in January of 2014 and it shipped from Virginia to Kentucky where there was snow on the ground and it was still in tune when I pulled it out of the case. I find a few things odd about this guitar like it having a 5-way blade instead of a rotary (if I'm not mistaken 2011 was when the switch switch occurred), the top was a 10 top before it was sanded (I guess) because it was special ordered and under the pickup it's labeled "10," and it's one of the only quilt top Angry Larry I've ever seen.

2009 Singlecut Hollowbody Piezo. I don't know what color the thing was originally. I checked the MODCAT and nothing showed up. It reminded me of a dragon's breath from blue matteo at the neck to emerald down by the bottom strap button. This guitar was severely mistreated and had huge gouges in the neck and bits of clearcoat missing all over. I traded that guitar for the next one I got after it and currently know where it is and may see if I can't get it back and restore it. This one was also a 10 top.

1997 McCarty originally Purple. I guess it's still technically purple but it faded to a nice almost pomegranate color. Under the knobs and bridge are still royal purple. This guitar was another special order as a semi-hollow without f-holes. This is also one of the nicest tops I've seen on a McCarty (in person at least) that wasn't a 10 top or ever meant to be. I like that it's old enough to still have the "McCarty Model" written in gold under the clearcoat but post '95 and have the coil split.

I have a multitude of other guitars (mostly teles) to keep these off the road and in decent shape that I won't go into detail here as it's the PRS forum unless specifically asked. Same goes for amps/effects/etc.

Hope this got the imagination all worked up!

Welcome aboard Jack! Hurry up and comment on a couple more threads so you have enough posts to put up some pics:)

New to the forum and thought I'd share some studio stuff I've done with my custom 24. I play full time based out of Nashville but don't take the PRSi on the road unless it's an in-town gig with space and constantly under my supervision. Anyways, the drummer I play with did a cover album to help feed homeless people here in Nashville and I had the pleasure of recording guitar tracks on one of the songs.

https://brianrussellcollins.bandcamp.com/track/cheaper-to-drink-alone-cover

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions regarding the recording process, environment, gear, settings, etc

Thanks! I'm really considering finding a "player grade" something like another McCarty or maybe an older CE 24 or a Brent Mason model since I do mostly country road gigs and that might get twangy enough.

I saw a country band last summer and the guitarist had a Brent Mason. That thing sounded dam good. I talked with him during break and complimented him on his tone and playing.

I'm not a fan of country music but I was happy to sit and listen to that.

I saw a country band last summer and the guitarist had a Brent Mason. That thing sounded dam good. I talked with him during break and complimented him on his tone and playing.

I'm not a fan of country music but I was happy to sit and listen to that.

I didn't like country music either until I started music school (ironically) and realized I needed country chops to survive in the Nashville scene. So I bought a Tele...and then 3 more and got into Brent Mason heavily. I managed to meet him and Johnny Hiland (who had a signature model back in the day) and to hear them play what they want and not what a producer wants is night and day.

Anyways, it has been my experience that a lot of people hear with their eyes so you need a recognizable guitar/equipment for the genre. I've done a few country gigs with the McCarty and Custom 24 and get weird looks from people sometimes. Usually metalheads (drummers specifically) like to fangirl over the custom 24 so I stopped playing it because they had a tendency to want to play it without asking so that's why I'm looking more for one that's pre-loved but not beat to pieces.

I didn't like country music either until I started music school (ironically) and realized I needed country chops to survive in the Nashville scene. So I bought a Tele...and then 3 more and got into Brent Mason heavily. I managed to meet him and Johnny Hiland (who had a signature model back in the day) and to hear them play what they want and not what a producer wants is night and day.

Anyways, it has been my experience that a lot of people hear with their eyes so you need a recognizable guitar/equipment for the genre. I've done a few country gigs with the McCarty and Custom 24 and get weird looks from people sometimes. Usually metalheads (drummers specifically) like to fangirl over the custom 24 so I stopped playing it because they had a tendency to want to play it without asking so that's why I'm looking more for one that's pre-loved but not beat to pieces.

Oh I had a gig a few years ago where a really drunk guy got on stage when we were on break. He grabbed my cu24 and tried to air guitar the thing.

I ran up and took it off of him right now, I was so pissed. Somebody ushered him out the door before I could get to him. I'm pretty sure I would have straight armed him in the mouth.

I'd be livid. The guy I play for has had people try and climb onstage during a set and said once he had to shove a strat headstock in a guy's mouth to get him to back off.

Welcome Jake, lovely looking collection you have!

What is it with punters thinking they can just help themselves. Can you imagine walking into their work, putting on a paper hat and asking if the customer wanted fries with that?!;)

New to the forum and thought I'd share some studio stuff I've done with my custom 24. I play full time based out of Nashville but don't take the PRSi on the road unless it's an in-town gig with space and constantly under my supervision. Anyways, the drummer I play with did a cover album to help feed homeless people here in Nashville and I had the pleasure of recording guitar tracks on one of the songs.

https://brianrussellcollins.bandcamp.com/track/cheaper-to-drink-alone-cover

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions regarding the recording process, environment, gear, settings, etc

Cool!

Back