Ordered an SE, disappointed

Paul Reed Smith Customer Service <[email protected]>
Mon 8/24/2020 9:34 AM
To:
  • You

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. The 35th Anniversary SE electric guitars are being produced by our partners in Indonesia.

For more information on pricing, options and delivery dates, please contact your local PRS dealer.

Here is a link to an authorized PRS dealer or distributor in your area: http://prsguitars.com/dealers/

PRS Dealers and Distributors
Find an Authorized PRS Dealer in your area
prsguitars.com

Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Shawn

PRS Guitars

380 Log Canoe Circle

Stevensville, MD 21666

I just joined today and read a couple posts where people say the SE models feel 'cheap.' My impression is they're mostly people who are new to PRS. I'm wondering how much of that is due to intentionally keeping the guitar light? I don't own PRS but as a carpenter and engineer and musician I've studied them for a long time. I know Paul is big on super thin finishes for maximum sustain, and in general the culture is to keep things light. On the other hand, I've had Epiphones, Squiers, etc that were built like they were meant for war. Maybe it's not really a fair comparison? The first time I ever felt a PRS resonate against my body I was a changed man. I appreciate everything that goes into making a guitar that way. But of course all my reference is to the American factory, so it's totally possible the import PRS are less light and more 'cheap.'

Overall, I’ve been very happy with the SEguitars that I’ve had. First I had a Chris Robertson (made in Korea) and now have an SE Paul’s guitar (made in Indonesia). Both are/were great playing and feeling guitars. The pups on the Paul’s guitar blew me away when I first plugged it in. Sucks you had a bad experience with one and it’s nice to hear that you’ll be staying in the family and getting a core. I’d also recommend looking at an s2 as well; they’re pretty sweet

really???

As with anything mileage may vary ,

I have not had a good history with the the Gibson brand for quality .
For me my 35th SE is a good one.
Have heard different from others here.

The age old Gibson neck angle is industry known old design issue with tuning problems and the nut has to be “just right” for good stable tuning.

Last edited:
I just joined today and read a couple posts where people say the SE models feel 'cheap.' My impression is they're mostly people who are new to PRS. I'm wondering how much of that is due to intentionally keeping the guitar light? I don't own PRS but as a carpenter and engineer and musician I've studied them for a long time. I know Paul is big on super thin finishes for maximum sustain, and in general the culture is to keep things light. On the other hand, I've had Epiphones, Squiers, etc that were built like they were meant for war. Maybe it's not really a fair comparison? The first time I ever felt a PRS resonate against my body I was a changed man. I appreciate everything that goes into making a guitar that way. But of course all my reference is to the American factory, so it's totally possible the import PRS are less light and more 'cheap.'

First off, congratulations regards your work as a carpenter, engineer, and musician. That was my intended career path as well until something derailed it years ago.

I think there is a stigma regards what some consider 'cheap' compared to 'poorly built.' Case in point, some praise Harley-Benton's as cheap guitars, but is the build quality really there?

The word 'cheap' has many references, some of which are not always positive. I think of Two & A Half Men as displaying cheap laughs. "Poorly built" denotes poor quality without referencing price-point nor expense (e.g. I got this awesome deal on a great guitar for next to nothing!)

If it were me, I'd just save some cash and be sure to research what year/make/model guitar I was thinking about. That way, I'd not be taken in by some dude selling his guitar for "cheap" when in fact what my interest was a well-built used guitar I'd not need spend a lot on.

And FTR, some poorly built guitars are indeed POS. I've yet to hear someone who has recently purchased a PRS describe theirs in that manner.

However, I think we can agree that you appreciate things that are well-constructed and of high build quality. This is what I was trying to say rather than question your use of the word, "cheap."

Last edited:
I'm also new here, this is my first post after getting a new SE sapphire custom 24. I am mainly a Fender guy that's always been stuck in my ways, 4 AV reissues and 2 custom shops. Never got along with Gibsons and man after the last few years I'd never buy new from them. That all being said, my first impressions of this SE are on both extremes.

The low quality nut is simply unacceptable on a 800 dollar instrument. This thing was pinching the strings so hard when I got it you could hear the creeking. This isn't a deal breaker of a problem I've replaced nuts before but the guitar even with some big bends lube has by far the worst tuning stability after a set up of any of my guitars. The tuners are another easy fix. Pickups are for taste, these aren't bad but I don't love them. I guess the reason the tuning issues get me so much is because imagine you spend a lot of money on a guitar to you and for almost a grand with tax the thing simply won't stay in pitch after a setup.

Now that I've sounded like a hater so far it couldn't be further from the way I feel. I love the neck on this guitar, and the guitar itself FEELS like a breath of fresh air for me that I haven't gotten with other brands besides Fender. The actually fit and finish are superb quality as well. Fretwork in this price range is fantastic. If this stayed in tune I could confidently take it out for a gig right now and not think twice.

TLDR: My finally judgement is that I was so impressed overall by this guitar I'm going tomorrow to pick up a core custom 24 10 top from a guy on craigslist and giving the SE to my kid. I can't WAIT to see what PRS is like with no corners cut and I'm very excited.

I'm also new here, this is my first post after getting a new SE sapphire custom 24. I am mainly a Fender guy that's always been stuck in my ways, 4 AV reissues and 2 custom shops. Never got along with Gibsons and man after the last few years I'd never buy new from them. That all being said, my first impressions of this SE are on both extremes.

The low quality nut is simply unacceptable on a 800 dollar instrument. This thing was pinching the strings so hard when I got it you could hear the creeking. This isn't a deal breaker of a problem I've replaced nuts before but the guitar even with some big bends lube has by far the worst tuning stability after a set up of any of my guitars. The tuners are another easy fix. Pickups are for taste, these aren't bad but I don't love them. I guess the reason the tuning issues get me so much is because imagine you spend a lot of money on a guitar to you and for almost a grand with tax the thing simply won't stay in pitch after a setup.

Now that I've sounded like a hater so far it couldn't be further from the way I feel. I love the neck on this guitar, and the guitar itself FEELS like a breath of fresh air for me that I haven't gotten with other brands besides Fender. The actually fit and finish are superb quality as well. Fretwork in this price range is fantastic. If this stayed in tune I could confidently take it out for a gig right now and not think twice.

TLDR: My finally judgement is that I was so impressed overall by this guitar I'm going tomorrow to pick up a core custom 24 10 top from a guy on craigslist and giving the SE to my kid. I can't WAIT to see what PRS is like with no corners cut and I'm very excited.

I think Paul's R&D team would happily hear consumer's feedback and upgrade the SE nut to TUSQ or GraphTech for a slight upcharge. The cost of the upgrade is only minor, so consider taking into account what consumers are asking for in their instruments, make it a reality, and provide a better quality instrument.

The tuners could also be upgraded in-factory if the majority of SE guitars could accept the standard SE locking tuners. Again, a small upcharge.

However, pickups are typically the 85/15s pickups, and depending on your tastes, are either suitable for your preferred style of music, or not. Because pickups cost more to replace, this should be a choice of the buyer, rather than requiring the factory to provide separate pickup options.

My feeling is that for an added $40 to $70, PRS could upgrade their SE Cu 22/24 line in a year's time, and improve their SE quality so as to eliminate consumer issues with their guitars.

If @Shawn@PRS is reading, perhaps this might be impetus for PRS to make necessary adjustments to satisfy their customers...:)

Thanks for the response. The cost of a better nut is so small and the rest of the attention to detail is so fantastic that's why it blows my mind they use the one they do. Pickups like I said are for taste I can see why people will like them and they definitely weren't something I was unhappy with if that makes sense.

Again, I am sold on the company. I have to wait another 90 minutes before I get to pick up my core custom 24. I haven't been this excited for a new guitar in probably 4-5 years since I got my corona 62 strat. I'll have a thread with pics of both my PRS later today!

Thanks for the response. The cost of a better nut is so small and the rest of the attention to detail is so fantastic that's why it blows my mind they use the one they do. Pickups like I said are for taste I can see why people will like them and they definitely weren't something I was unhappy with if that makes sense.

Again, I am sold on the company. I have to wait another 90 minutes before I get to pick up my core custom 24. I haven't been this excited for a new guitar in probably 4-5 years since I got my corona 62 strat. I'll have a thread with pics of both my PRS later today!

Enjoy, hope your transaction goes smoothly. And agreed on utilizing a better nut or tuners on SE's. The cost increase would be minimal compared to the uptick of sales because of a better quality product.

tusq is garbage, i’d rather have a brass nut and def wouldn’t want a 10% upcharge for either.

tusq is garbage, i’d rather have a brass nut and def wouldn’t want a 10% upcharge for either.

Why do you say that regards TUSQ? Wouldn't you desire locking tuners?

Interesting fact: Consumers can demand all they want. Quality parts and extra labor costs money, which is passed onto the consumer when they want something.

We used to feed our cat premium cat food because the old sot was finicky. You gonna turn up your nose at premium?

TBH, there are plenty of people who f' and fart around trying to choose what they really desire. Plz, for the love of God, don't make me feed you cat food.

P.S. Jimi would be biting his lip just now...

Last edited:
Why do you say that regards TUSQ? Wouldn't you desire locking tuners?

Interesting fact: Consumers can demand all they want. Quality parts and extra labor costs money, which is passed onto the consumer when they want something.

We used to feed our cat premium cat food because the old sot was finicky. You gonna turn up your nose at premium?

TBH, there are plenty of people who f' and fart around trying to choose what they really desire. Plz, for the love of God, don't make me feed you cat food.

P.S. Jimi would be biting his lip just now...

why’s it always about lunch meat and cat food, cp? i gotta know.

Thanks! Everything actually went very, very well. I'll have a thread up in a bit!

Congratulations! It's the end of the month again and time to sort out the clutter for donations and recycling again. Remind me to thank our beloved state governor for making recycling fun again. Anybody need a half-eaten PBJ sandwich from earlier this week?

I've got projects I've been meaning to do, and have put them off because of summer heat. I've not much stored away this month; unless considering winter months ahead, most is being saved for next year until storage fills up again.

Project 1: Tend garden again. Project 2: Bake homemade butterscotch/raisin cookies. Project 3: Bake 1 more cherry pie for next week.

why’s it always about lunch meat and cat food, cp? i gotta know.

IDK, it always seems like it's the same old fox in the henhouse with both of us. We just don't see each other on good terms, like an old man disagrees with a young dude. (I used to own a coffee mug that said, "Hi, Meet Mr. Personality!" Perhaps I think too much of myself sometimes.)

I think that growing older has its own issues, what with the usual aches and pains. Older folks aren't particularly fond of aches and pains, but can do nothing about it except talk about doctor's and their health. I'm somewhat grateful that my health is still good, but gets worse when my diet, exercise or hygiene takes a day or 2 off.

Regards lunch, I usually don't pursue things that don't have more permanent benefits. And I skipped lunch Monday because I filled up Sunday evening and wasn't hungry Monday morning.

Regards the cat food, I don't enjoy feeding a cat anymore than it needs, and our former cat was particular about his food. Like a herkin wine connoisseur. We struggled for months trying to find something he'd like. Bubkis. The cat turned his nose up at almost everything. Like Mikey and Life cereal. We thought of changing the cat's name to Mikey, and making him wear doll's clothing, but the cat just detested us.

What's weird is, I enjoy Cat Steven's music, but won't let a fur ball cat close because of my experience with our former cat.

Sorry for the vent, but sometimes folk's personalities remind me of my former cat. Excuse me, I've got to go tend the dang giraffes again...o_O

Last edited:
IDK, it always seems like it's the same old fox in the henhouse with both of us. We just don't see each other on good terms, like an old man disagrees with a young dude. (I used to own a coffee mug that said, "Hi, Meet Mr. Personality!" Perhaps I think too much of myself sometimes.)

I think that growing older has its own issues, what with the usual aches and pains. Older folks aren't particularly fond of aches and pains, but can do nothing about it except talk about doctor's and their health. I'm somewhat grateful that my health is still good, but gets worse when my diet, exercise or hygiene takes a day or 2 off.

Regards lunch, I usually don't pursue things that don't have more permanent benefits. And I skipped lunch Monday because I filled up Sunday evening and wasn't hungry Monday morning.

Regards the cat food, I don't enjoy feeding a cat anymore than it needs, and our former cat was particular about his food. Like a herkin wine connoisseur. We struggled for months trying to find something he'd like. Bubkis. The cat turned his nose up at almost everything. Like Mikey and Life cereal. We thought of changing the cat's name to Mikey, and making him wear doll's clothing, but the cat just detested us.

What's weird is, I enjoy Cat Steven's music, but won't let a fur ball cat close because of my experience with our former cat.

Sorry for the vent, but sometimes folk's personalities remind me of my former cat. Excuse me, I've got to go tend the dang giraffes again...o_O

well what can i say? i might not like tusq or locking tuners or breakfast cereals, but that doesn’t mean you liking them puts you on bad terms, and i’m old enough i got my own cat food so that’s one less mouth for you to feed.

last night i dreamed i found a guitar with a ‘fender’/‘L5’ pickup selector on the edge by the jack; i wonder what it means.

hope you’re serious about the giraffe, i hate the zoo but love the branch manager.

well what can i say? i might not like tusq or locking tuners or breakfast cereals, but that doesn’t mean you liking them puts you on bad terms, and i’m old enough i got my own cat food so that’s one less mouth for you to feed.

last night i dreamed i found a guitar with a ‘fender’/‘L5’ pickup selector on the edge by the jack; i wonder what it means.

L5 pickup selector? Perhaps you were dreaming of some future modification if perhaps you own or have recently viewed an L5.

Perhaps you've connected a standard plank solid body with a hollow body one, and combined the 2 regards the electronics.

You'll forgive me, I only have heard of Gibson acoustic L5's (my buddy from high school's Dad owned one) but I wasn't interested in it much, though it was designed as a true stage jazz guitar (or was it an L1? I've forgotten...)

Anyway, I've not viewed L5's recently, so I'm likely speaking off the cuff. Regards TUSQ's being garbage, please forgive the disagreeable reaction. I've owned several inexpensive acoustics that had plastic nuts that were upgraded to TUSQ with no loss of tone. If anything, the TUSQ improved sustain. Anyway, I humbly retract the statement regards what the hey about TUSQ.

As a side note, I've not seen a neanderthal bunny recently, so am happy to say life couldn't be better. Enjoy your evening; I'll try to keep a low profile so as to not arouse suspicion.

Regards TUSQ's being garbage, please forgive the disagreeable reaction. I've owned several inexpensive acoustics that had plastic nuts that were upgraded to TUSQ with no loss of tone. If anything, the TUSQ improved sustain. Anyway, I humbly retract the statement regards what the hey about TUSQ.

oh, the ‘x is garbage’ was a reference to the way guitar players often make bombastic pronouncements of personal preference. ‘only genuine toad tusk gets my tone.’

locking tuners tho, those are the worst! can’t be friends with those people.

oh, the ‘x is garbage’ was a reference to the way guitar players often make bombastic pronouncements of personal preference. ‘only genuine toad tusk gets my tone.’

locking tuners tho, those are the worst! can’t be friends with those people.

So'k. Altruistic statements seldom carry any weight. It just shows that you're opinionated like many folks are. I tend to think of it as "thinking that need fixing." But I'll be darned if I can't find my greater purpose just yet...which may include a wrench set and/or flashlight. Hold still while I put my Mr. Magoo glasses back on and make a few adjustments...

Back