OMG It finally Happened. A T-Style PRS Guitar (NF53)

I don’t get it. Why would they do two versions of a Tele? I get the signature model but then why do the NF-53 one? Most sig models are doomed from the start and Teles are frankly “been there and done that”. I hope it works out for Paul and co but I wouldn’t be surprised to find these in the stack with the EG’s and other NF derivatives. That said, I love a good Tele and will probably lay hands on one just to see for myself. I had a great NF-3 when they first came out. I just don’t think it makes sense from a sales standpoint.
I think they will sell a boatload of the NF 53. Can’t wait to get my hands on one…

From the Andertons video on these guitars, it's fat and fatter. They said both of them are thicker than the Silver Sky, and that the MK version is slightly fatter than the standard.

I don't get why they're $2900, but that's OK. I like Teles but not enough to actually own one. Maybe that'll change when the SE version comes along. Paul seems to really be stretching what a "core" instrument is these days. I could see CE money (and I have two of those! Love them!) but can't justify another 30% on top of that. People are bound to love them and who am I to stand in their way.
I have never owned a truly righteous T-type guitar. Looks like this might fit the bill.

A Suhr Classic T is well over $3000 new, $400 over the new PRS. Hardly anything new in the price discussion, especially considering PRS didn’t just go with a simple single coil Tele setup, but expanded into two new Narrowfields.

It’s fine that some don’t feel the new guitar is for them, and that’s always their right. No conflict there. But a lot of this conversation sounds exactly like the Silver Sky reasonings all over again to me, and I always have to wonder why PRS draws such grief for taking a “standard” design farther while other brands that offer less innovation and more direct copying of classic models skate right on through with nary a comment.

It isn’t a big deal to me either way, but the inconsistency in reaction is obvious, and an oddity to me with the Fenderish guitars for certain, and the 594 to a lesser degree.

I will speak only for myself so take this for what it's worth. I'm quite familiar with the Silver Sky having owned 2 originals and 2 SEs. My take is they are good Strat copies but nothing at all revolutionary. Paul goes a little over the top with marketing. As a traditional Strat player I didn't feel like the SS "improvements" made the guitar better for me. Certainly a good guitar but just another one in the sea of S style guitars. I wasn't a loud detractor but I didn't see the point. Clearly I did try it out but it didn't take. To be fair, the SS was the only S style guitar that I've tried that wasn't a Fender.

That brings me to the NF53. It's trying to solve problems that I don't think exist but I'm oddly more interested in it. The reality is I'm a Tele/Esquire fanatic and the NF53 looks to be different enough to not really be a replacement. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot in the near future.

I didn’t like the idea of a Tele style PRS :mad: Now that I’ve seen MANY reviews of the NF53 and the Myles Kennedy I have to admit I am intrigued. I especially like the tones of the NF 53…. just what I need another freaking PRS to buy. I like the white dog hair version. I’m going to hold off for a little while though, but I bet I end up with one. :cool:

Yeah, but I think he is "big" enough to be able to be honest. I think he actually likes this guitar, just like he likes the next suhr. Well built, looks good, plays great, sounds very good, but will never be chosen over his other vintage shizzle.

Rhett Shill? He makes his living pushing products. Like most salesmen, he’ll sell what he’s paid to sell. That’s the truth for every YT “name”. There’s not a genuine opinion to be found.

Rhett Shill? He makes his living pushing products. Like most salesmen, he’ll sell what he’s paid to sell. That’s the truth for every YT “name”. There’s not a genuine opinion to be found.
You mean Rhett Sell?

What I mean was: if he does not like the guitar, he would not make a video. Paid or not. He can be picky.

Watched that review last night. I am shocked. He’s a PRS hater.
I don’t think RS has ever said he hated PRS guitars. In the video you watched he made a point of saying they were great guitars but until now hadn’t found one he bonded with, and I think a lot of us have experienced this with any number and make of guitars. He has gone on record for his hatred of Tube Screamer’s though!

From the Andertons video on these guitars, it's fat and fatter. They said both of them are thicker than the Silver Sky, and that the MK version is slightly fatter than the standard.

I don't get why they're $2900, but that's OK. I like Teles but not enough to actually own one. Maybe that'll change when the SE version comes along. Paul seems to really be stretching what a "core" instrument is these days. I could see CE money (and I have two of those! Love them!) but can't justify another 30% on top of that. People are bound to love them and who am I to stand in their way.
The pricing is actually low for a core model. I do hope my local dealer discounts a little. I did have my eye on a Nash T52, which is priced a little lower than the NF53. I need to play both, then haggle with both dealers.

It does visually look good…. I like the idea of pulling up the tone pot to reduce high end on the bridge humbucker. Perfect for smoothing out overdriven lead solo tones….
I wish they had done this on the Swamp Ash Special instead of coil taps. I am going to A/B them together in a couple weeks. Should be interesting!

The pricing is actually low for a core model. I do hope my local dealer discounts a little. I did have my eye on a Nash T52, which is priced a little lower than the NF53. I need to play both, then haggle with both dealers.
Ita not core. It's a bolt on..It's closer to a S2 10th anniversary to me due to the cost savings measures like a scarf joint, s2 bridge, comfort carve vs violin, and a gig bag. I have noting against those things or the guitar as a whole, but they aren't done on the core line.

I still want one and am looking forwad to a demo, but honestly will be looking at the secondary market... I really think they did a good job on the guitar, but missed the mark on pricing. Not even comparing to other brands, but PRS own offerings.

Edit- I should add it's not intended as a knock by me one bit by comparing it to a S2 10th anniversary. It's a compliment. I think that's a fantastic guitar and a really smart release by PRS. I used it to compare value per dollar pricing.

Last edited:
PRS has really dumbed down what a "Core" model is, IMO. Silver Sky started that trend, and Fiore followed suit, and now this. A bolt-on neck with a slab body belongs in the CE family with CE pricing, IMO. Core used to mean amazing flamed maple tops with intricate carving. It's brand dilution and I kinda hope they stop.

And I'm not some Core elitist, either. The fanciest guitar I own is a pair of CE24 Semi-hollows (see avatar).

Back