OMG It finally Happened. A T-Style PRS Guitar (NF53)

I suspect they made two different models because MK wanted "his" shape, which to me is not ideal for 22nd fret access, and the NF 53 shape is "more classic-ish" shaped. As I noted elsewhere, the NF53 neck has upper fret access similar to my Squier Tele.

The pickups are not the same in these two models. NF 53 has "NF deep dish" pups, which have pole pieces that are (according to PRSh) half the amount of magnet that goes into a regular pole piece, but squished into an elongated rectangle, and could have more windings (and are deeper, thus the name). The net result if you listen to the demos is that the MK sounds more like a NF HB (fatter, higher gain), whereas the NF 53 sounds closer to a SC tone, but without the hum.

Switching is different. Neck thickness if slightly different.

Aesthetically, the shape is different (aside from fret access), and the pickguards are different.

So they really are two different guitars, that both happen to look like T-types.

I think PRS was aiming for the NF 53, but MK said "I want this and that differently", so PRS said "OK, two different models, let's not market just what MK wants".

I suspect the MK will go away after a few years, and the NF 53 will stay, but pick up a few of the MK features (like the pup single coil modes/tapping/whatever).
So I’m (easily) confused. I thought the NF53 had a fatter humbucker sound than the Miles Kennedy version which I thought had more of the thinner Tele twang sounds…….Am I confused? :eek:

So I’m (easily) confused. I thought the NF53 had a fatter humbucker sound than the Miles Kennedy version which I thought had more of the thinner Tele twang sounds…….Am I confused? :eek:
The other way around. NF53 more twang and MK more rock.

PRS has really dumbed down what a "Core" model is, IMO. Silver Sky started that trend, and Fiore followed suit, and now this. A bolt-on neck with a slab body belongs in the CE family with CE pricing, IMO. Core used to mean amazing flamed maple tops with intricate carving. It's brand dilution and I kinda hope they stop.

And I'm not some Core elitist, either. The fanciest guitar I own is a pair of CE24 Semi-hollows (see avatar).

PRS hasn't dumbed it down, though. They've been clear that the Silver Sky, Fiore, DW, CE24, and the MK/NF53 aren't Core. They're part of a 5th line, Bolt-On. It's the community that's confused. PRS can be blamed for that, but it's really a lack of attention to detail amongst consumers.

Interesting side story while we are on the subject of Myles Kennedy.

Nice story and cool how he holds his picks on the headstock:
Screenshot-2023-06-28-at-1-49-30-PM.png

PRS hasn't dumbed it down, though. They've been clear that the Silver Sky, Fiore, DW, CE24, and the MK/NF53 aren't Core. They're part of a 5th line, Bolt-On. It's the community that's confused. PRS can be blamed for that, but it's really a lack of attention to detail amongst consumers.

John Mayer called it a "core" model when the SE version came out.

And the company published that video, so by extension, they're calling it a "Core" too.

I mean, whatever, it's $3000 for a bolt-on slab guitar with a mostly-Fender shape. It's kind of insane. I'll wait for the SE on the NF53.

Edit to say, I know that prices are going up across the board. Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Schecter...everyone is jacking up prices by 30% over what they were in 2021. My S2 Standard 22 was a $1100 guitar when I got it in 2019 and now the exact same guitar is $1700. My CE22 Semi-hollows were both $2100 in 2020 and 2021, respectively, and now they're $2700 for the exact same thing.

It's fine. I just know that I could afford to shop in the US range back then, but I can't any longer. And it's cool because SE's are better than ever.

Last edited:
The NF53 was very appealing to me, until I found out the nut width is less than 1 5/8. To those of you who have no problem with that, enjoy yours when it comes. I have too many guitars anyways lol.

The NF53 was very appealing to me, until I found out the nut width is less than 1 5/8. To those of you who have no problem with that, enjoy yours when it comes. I have too many guitars anyways lol.
I have seen some conflicting information on the specification of enut width. I thought it was listed at 1 42/64, but now appears to be 1 41/64”. 1 42/64 would be the same as Pattern Regular. I prefer Pattern/Wide Fat, but I guess not everyone does.

The confusion over what "Core" means is enhanced by the historical use of the term, back when the (original) CEs and SAS and NF3 and other "bolt-on" US-made models were part of the line-up - they were "Core" as far as anyone was concerned, distinguished from the (then recently-created) SE line. Look at the model history: it was "Set Neck" guitars and "Bolt-On" guitars. No use of the term "core".

So anyone who was around before the S2 line got started up will tend to call any US-made PRS that isn't explicitly an S2 a "Core", even though PRS now has finessed all of the bolt-on US models into the "Bolt-On" category.

To me, what many call Core (the non-bolt-on US-made non-S2 guitars) is what I might consider "set neck Cores", while the "Bolt-Ons" are "Bolt-On Cores" (to me).

JM calling his US-made Silver Sky model a "Core" makes sense to him, because he's distinguishing from the SE line.

Humans like to categorize stuff, and often disagree on how to do so (even when the "authority" source makes a statement one way or the other).

The confusion over what "Core" means is enhanced by the historical use of the term, back when the (original) CEs and SAS and NF3 and other "bolt-on" US-made models were part of the line-up - they were "Core" as far as anyone was concerned, distinguished from the (then recently-created) SE line. Look at the model history: it was "Set Neck" guitars and "Bolt-On" guitars. No use of the term "core".

So anyone who was around before the S2 line got started up will tend to call any US-made PRS that isn't explicitly an S2 a "Core", even though PRS now has finessed all of the bolt-on US models into the "Bolt-On" category.

To me, what many call Core (the non-bolt-on US-made non-S2 guitars) is what I might consider "set neck Cores", while the "Bolt-Ons" are "Bolt-On Cores" (to me).

JM calling his US-made Silver Sky model a "Core" makes sense to him, because he's distinguishing from the SE line.

Humans like to categorize stuff, and often disagree on how to do so (even when the "authority" source makes a statement one way or the other).

I totally get all of that. I think PRS hasn’t done themselves any favors in terms of how they name things. They should have gone with something other than CE24 in 2016, but they don’t really aim to avoid consumer confusion.

I think that particularly true with pickups. Using “S” on the import pickup names just makes it hard to talk about plurals. “I have 58/15s in that guitar.”

I think that particularly true with pickups. Using “S” on the import pickup names just makes it hard to talk about plurals. “I have 58/15s in that guitar.”
Oh, I agree completely with that sentiment. They could have called them "58/15i" (for import) or "58/15p" (for Pac-Rim) or almost any other letter and the result would be far less confusion.

Maybe this a stupid question regarding the MK model, but….

The descriptions and videos that I have seen refer to the push-pull knob as functioning as a treble roll off….is there a reason one would pull the knob up to roll off the treble rather than simply turning the knob? What am I missing here?

Back