OMG It finally Happened. A T-Style PRS Guitar (NF53)

I hope that they are not too light. I sold one of my previous Teles because it was too light (under 3kg). Light weight can even be a dealbreaker for me. I prefer guitars in the 4 to 5kg range.

My favorite Les Paul weights about 4.8kg (10.5 pounds). My 594 SC ain’t too far behind.

Last edited:
Are these actually one piece bodies?

Either way, pretty stoked on these and definitely see an NF53 in my future!
Not 100% sure, but the pics that Sweetwater had of mine sure looked like it was one piece. Some angular grain patterns that would not be possible on the typical 3 piece Swamp Ash body.

Not 100% sure, but the pics that Sweetwater had of mine sure looked like it was one piece. Some angular grain patterns that would not be possible on the typical 3 piece Swamp Ash body.
What I saw in the NF53 video was a three piece body. One of the dog hair guitars.

Price... Look at that big, single piece slab of Ash that they used in the in the making of that body! There is a real cost for that hence the price tag for the USA made offering.

I'm not sure it's one piece. From a couple sources that have had one in hands in real life have said 3 pieces. Some pics I've seen certainly look like one piece, but others I've thought otherwise. I don't know.. until I get one in hand.

I get ash and American adds to the construction costs, but there's also several cost savings measures in the manufacturing process. Not dogging the processes used, but adds merit to point of view they missed the price point. But same as earlier, they aren't the only ones in this post covid world that have their pricing out of whack.

NF53 is starting to grow on me. I like it better than Myles's Signature, to be fair. The pickguard does something to the shape the Signature version doesn't give. I started liking them more when I began looking beyond the Tele thing. The White Doghair and Tabaco Burst are such a beauty. I find two things difficult to swallow: the price point, £500 more than other bolt-ons PRS makes, and the bridge. Why not six adjusted saddles? It would be fire to have an option for PRS tremolo bridge.

I wouldn't say I am in the market for one just yet, but Narrowfield pickups have always intrigued me, and I will make sure to try one somewhere, sometimes

Mr. Smith is getting bad advice. $3k for a Tele is out of line and far too expensive. I think this is simply a ploy to sell thousands of SE guitars that most musicians can actually afford.

Completely agree. I had to laugh at all of the comments I saw about the price on their IG feed. I mean, sure, it's pricey. But a Washburn Nele is $2,600 and $3,200, depending on the version. Custom Shop Fender Teles (some relic'd) are more than$5k. Suhrs are between $3,200 and $4600, and those are just knock-offs of a Tele. Nothing different about them. Nash's are between $2,200 and $3k. Xotic, Shabat, LSL and several other "boutique" brands are in the upper $3k or low $4k.
I think the sticker shock is because a tele is so basic, a slab of wood. And historically, it's always been very affordable. One of the worst guitars I every ordered was a Fender custom shop Strat, and those other 'boutique' brands might be very popular with people here, but I know very few professionals who brag about those, or play them on stage. With that being said, I've had over 25 PRSi, and $3k or not, I'll probably get one eventually, sound in the video is fantastic.

Paul could have John Mann design him a great T bridge, but they used a Vela bridge instead

The Vela bridge design is the most brilliant take on a Tele-concept bridge EVER!

The reason many people prefer the three saddle Tele bridge over a six saddle one is because the greater downforce created by having two strings per saddle rather than one creates better sustain. Having three strings per saddle but still allowing for perfect intonation is (to me) a genius interpretation of a simple and beautiful concept. YMMV...

I think one reason for the MSRP is indeed the wood. A builder here in Tennessee, who has gained many many fans in the few years he's been in business, did a great write-up about the availability of good swamp ash being much tighter. The Big F has said the same thing. Bottom line (pun intended) is that the price of goods determines the final price point.

My prediction is that soon these won’t seem as expensive, because the price of the other bolt-ons will be raised to match these.

A Suhr Classic T is well over $3000 new, $400 over the new PRS. Hardly anything new in the price discussion, especially considering PRS didn’t just go with a simple single coil Tele setup, but expanded into two new Narrowfields.

It’s fine that some don’t feel the new guitar is for them, and that’s always their right. No conflict there. But a lot of this conversation sounds exactly like the Silver Sky reasonings all over again to me, and I always have to wonder why PRS draws such grief for taking a “standard” design farther while other brands that offer less innovation and more direct copying of classic models skate right on through with nary a comment.

It isn’t a big deal to me either way, but the inconsistency in reaction is obvious, and an oddity to me with the Fenderish guitars for certain, and the 594 to a lesser degree.

But a lot of this conversation sounds exactly like the Silver Sky reasonings all over again to me, and I always have to wonder why PRS draws such grief for taking a “standard” design farther while other brands that offer less innovation and more direct copying of classic models skate right on through with nary a comment.
PRS possible receives more flack because they are pretty much the only guitar manufacturer from whom people expect innovation. Nobody expects F or G etc to come up with anything new.

What people should recognize is that these new models are probably - I haven’t tried them yet so I don’t know - better and more innovative than guitars from other manufacturers at that price point.

Maybe they are anticipating getting enough orders that they won’t be able to fulfill most of them for a couple of years. This way, by the time the guitars ship, inflation will have advanced enough that the price will seem appropriate for when the orders are fulfilled.

Back