Okay PRS - it's time!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
I'm calling it, time for a bolt on S2 with 3 single coils!!!

Haven't played my strat in some time. Finally picked it up the other day, and it hit me... this thing doesn't sound very good! Strummed it acoustically next to my S2 Standard, and it was clear as day, the S2 rang clearly on all strings, lots of bass, very full and resonant. The strat, blah. Plinky, piercing, and lacking resonance. In a related story, I was watching a video demo of a few different strats (some custom shop) and one in particular sounded WAY better than the others, much fuller, with some power and punch in the wound strings.

I played a few different strats at a shop yesterday, and noticed the same, yet again - same woods, but some sounded drastically different than others unplugged. I won't say they're inconsistent, because they were different models at different price points, but the ones I perceived as "good" sonically were all $1500 or more. I think the finish on the cheaper models are thick and choke a lot of tone. And the neck shapes, dinky frets, and so on were nothing to write home about on the more expensive models.

So, I'm thinking about these S2 Standards and CE's that PRS is making, and I'm thinking to myself, why the heck not? They would be more consistent, more comfortable, and cheaper than the comparable Fender. I think sales were tough on the true core model DC3's, but with the S2 construction and price, they would sell enough to justify the notion.

So, c'mon PRS! My strat's frets are worn out and my S2's make it obsolete. I'll try and hold out til it happens! Who's with me?

Agreed, except my suggestion has been to keep it set neck to preserve the streamlined approach of S2. They already have the bones in the S2 Standard 22. Just add a middle pickup, make it out of alder with a maple neck and you got a winner with very minimal retooling.

I guess your idea for a new S2 is far better than mine. I was hoping for an S2 "Super Eagle". Take the CU24 Semi Hollow, add a middle narrow field and then 5 way switch with the tone pot coil tap. Nah...never happen

Last edited:
Agreed, except my suggestion has been to keep it set neck to preserve the streamlined approach of S2. They already have the bones in the S2 Standard 22. Just add a middle pickup, make it out of alder with a maple neck and you got a winner with very minimal retooling.

I've considered the thought of grabbing another satin standard and swapping out the picguard for a SSS configuration. The different woods would be a plus though, and I agree when it comes to the construction - I don't think the bolt on vs. set neck makes much difference, it's all about the wood type.

I guess your idea for a new S2 is far better than mine. I was hoping for an S2 "Super Eagle". Take the CU24 Semi Hollow, add a middle narrow field and then 5 way switch with the tone cap pot. Nah...never happen

To be clear, I would dig that! I just don't know if they would sell enough to justify. But as a limited model, sure!

I do believe an S2 - 305 would do very well, but PRS tend to sound like "well" PRS and folks who like that fender ( or Gibby ) for that matter sound don't ever seem 100% happy until they find the right Fender or Gibson.
I love my 305 great sounding guitar and if someone was looking single coil PRS or something with a set neck and single coils I would say GET A 305 you will be a happy camper but if you want a TRUE Strat search and search and you can find a great low cost one ( I did ) or pony up and get a Jeff Beck or Robert Cray or a Full up USA one. IMHO

I heard Paul is working on new single coil pickups so maybe. I would like to see a stoptail version too.

To be clear, I would dig that! I just don't know if they would sell enough to justify. But as a limited model, sure!
Never under estimate the throngs of John Mayer fans out here that would be standing in line with fists fulls of cash to grab a "super s2 eagle".

I'm calling it, time for a bolt on S2 with 3 single coils!!!

Haven't played my strat in some time. Finally picked it up the other day, and it hit me... this thing doesn't sound very good! Strummed it acoustically next to my S2 Standard, and it was clear as day, the S2 rang clearly on all strings, lots of bass, very full and resonant. The strat, blah. Plinky, piercing, and lacking resonance. In a related story, I was watching a video demo of a few different strats (some custom shop) and one in particular sounded WAY better than the others, much fuller, with some power and punch in the wound strings.

I played a few different strats at a shop yesterday, and noticed the same, yet again - same woods, but some sounded drastically different than others unplugged. I won't say they're inconsistent, because they were different models at different price points, but the ones I perceived as "good" sonically were all $1500 or more. I think the finish on the cheaper models are thick and choke a lot of tone. And the neck shapes, dinky frets, and so on were nothing to write home about on the more expensive models.

So, I'm thinking about these S2 Standards and CE's that PRS is making, and I'm thinking to myself, why the heck not? They would be more consistent, more comfortable, and cheaper than the comparable Fender. I think sales were tough on the true core model DC3's, but with the S2 construction and price, they would sell enough to justify the notion.

So, c'mon PRS! My strat's frets are worn out and my S2's make it obsolete. I'll try and hold out til it happens! Who's with me?
I am with you all the way on this one. I have both a Strat and a Tele. I must of played 50 of each before I purchased the ones that "spoke to me" tone wise. Quality is nowhere near PRS on either one (I have reissues of both) and while my Strat has great tone, I compromised on the neck shape to get it.

Back