ok, I believe I figured out my special purpose here (collection goal)

John Mann's pre-production Santana would be a good place to start...then someone posts an '85, next one an '86 and they told two friends, and they told two friends...

I love this idea!

A collection of folks creates a compendium, a cornucopia, a...oh, I'm getting carried away...

But this is a great idea!

I only have to wait until I'm 90 or so to show mine, since I no longer have any of my pre-2013 models...:oops:

But wait! I have a pic of my '92 or '93 Artist II! So there's hope for me yet!

If I had the cash/resources, I'd considering doing this too! I'm a collector, usually of relatively inexpensive stuff (stamps and nickel (5 cent) coins and Dr Who books as a kid, for example), and I wouldn't part with the very modest collection of PRSi that I have amassed without good reason.

I also understand folks who aren't collectors. They want what works for them right now, and don't need to hang onto that previous axe that was almost the right one.

So...um...have you checked out Markie's "collection"? Last I rough counted from the photos he had between 120 and 140 PRSi. So maybe he can help you discover the most interesting models from each year.

IMHO you might want to focus on the models that had relatively limited production years in order to avoid getting 31 years of CU22s and 24s. But you also want to make sure you get some of those CU22/24s from across the years, just to see how they evolved (and didn't change in other areas).

Also, consider whether you want to get a good spectrum of colors and finish types (fades, bursts, wraps, etc). I didn't really set out on purpose to do so, but I ended up with a good rainbow of finish colors (I need to retake this photo with my P24 and Angelus SE Custom):

IMG_3543_1024_zpsxbdylqnw.jpg

Good luck! We'll be here to cheer you on and maybe even help you discern the best choice when you need!

If I had the cash/resources, I'd considering doing this too! I'm a collector, usually of relatively inexpensive stuff (stamps and nickel (5 cent) coins and Dr Who books as a kid, for example), and I wouldn't part with the very modest collection of PRSi that I have amassed without good reason.

I also understand folks who aren't collectors. They want what works for them right now, and don't need to hang onto that previous axe that was almost the right one.

So...um...have you checked out Markie's "collection"? Last I rough counted from the photos he had between 120 and 140 PRSi. So maybe he can help you discover the most interesting models from each year.

IMHO you might want to focus on the models that had relatively limited production years in order to avoid getting 31 years of CU22s and 24s. But you also want to make sure you get some of those CU22/24s from across the years, just to see how they evolved (and didn't change in other areas).

Also, consider whether you want to get a good spectrum of colors and finish types (fades, bursts, wraps, etc). I didn't really set out on purpose to do so, but I ended up with a good rainbow of finish colors (I need to retake this photo with my P24 and Angelus SE Custom):

IMG_3543_1024_zpsxbdylqnw.jpg

Good luck! We'll be here to cheer you on and maybe even help you discern the best choice when you need!

Nice.

Good thing you have those puppies fenced in. You wouldn't want any of them 'wandering off.'

CU24
CU22
Santana
Howard Leese Golden Eagle
NF3
DGT
Paul's Guitar
Studio
HB II
HB I
CU24 Floyd
Jazz
McCarty
McCarty Soapbar
Artist 1-5
DC245
SC245
Stripped 58
SC250
MC 58
Soapbar II
Mira
Starla
HB 12
SAS
Modern Eagle
Doubleneck
Dragon 1-5
P22
P24
P245
Grainger Bass
too many signatures to list...
24/7
Vela
Archtop ?
SC-J?

Definitely love the idea of going straight to a 12 on the HB.

Last edited:
Nice.

Good thing you have those puppies fenced in. You wouldn't want any of them 'wandering off.'
Ha ha!

The fence was to help protect my pond area from local deer, but they can get in from the other side now that my neighbor (massively) trimmed her hedgerow, and a gate I had installed was usually open anyway. And the deer pretty well left the pond alone. So the fence is gone. Now I'll need to find something else to lean them up against!

It occurs to me that I haven't done that group shot as mentioned, so I should get around to it. But every time I do a group shot, within a month I get another PRSi and the shot is immediately obsolete.

So I need to carefully weigh whether I can afford another PRSi in the next month if I go take another photo! o_O

I agree....Cool idea. If I had an '85, I start that thread right now.
I suggest we go 2016 to 1985, just to keep the suspense up... Maybe 1 new thread per day?

Then one thread can be created with one guitar from each year, linking the guitar with the most "likes" from each year???

I won't have reception in a couple of weeks time otherwise I'd kick it off.

@rugerpc what do you think?

One from each year would be pretty awesome. I'm a collector at heart, but the logical side of me usually wins out and I keep things at a practical level. 31 (and growing) wouldn't be too outrageous and you could cover a ton of sonic ground by getting a mix of the different models they've done over the years.

I knew there were enough crazy people on board here to back me up. This is why I spoke up; throw an idea like this into a big enough room and at least one person is going to come back with improvements. Tomorrow I'll give a more detailed response with morning coffee. So you all know, I got started on this last fall with my Oak Floor thread, and got serious about pre-96 models after the holidays.

"Houston, we are go!"

My old tag line was "PRS, Collect the whole set!"...

I did my fair share of finding rare models. Artist I, II, III, IV, Limited... 10th Anniversary, Limited Edition, a Bonnie Pink Signature...

All gone... The Limited Edition became my PS HB #234... The rest? Set to loving homes...

Why? I loved the chase, but once I turned 50, it lost it's appeal...

But hey, go for it. I'll enjoy living vicariously thru you!

You forgot the Brazilian McCarty from 1999-2000 and the Brazilian Singlecuts from 2001!

I would love to see a collection like that. It only takes one person with enough cause to assemble such a menage of guitar history for all of us to admit that it was completely badass. You may also want to decide if your collection will only include "factory guitars", or if you will extend your search also for "pre-factory guitars", and will you include SE and S2 models. Knowing which models debuted during which years would likely provide guidance for your model selections. You should search PRSgutars.com for brief historical info, and perhaps even phone the factory to find out the best sources for accurate production timelines. Your first factory model would be the CU24, the one that started it all. And in no particular order...

CU24
CU22
Santana
Howard Leese Golden Eagle
NF3
DGT
Paul's Guitar
Studio
HB II
HB I
CU24 Floyd
Jazz
McCarty
McCarty Soapbar
Artist 1-5
DC245
SC245
Stripped 58
SC250
MC 58
Soapbar II
Mira
Starla
HB 12
SAS
Modern Eagle
Doubleneck
Dragon 1-5
P22
P24
P245
Grainger Bass
too many signatures to list...

You should catalog your collection exploits either on a thread here or on a blog of some sort. Would be cool to see now and then. Good luck.

Last edited:
You forgot the Brazilain McCarty from 1999-2000 and the Brazilian Singlecuts from 2001!

Thanks, dude! The enormity of such a collection becomes apparent just by listing the core models over time. A PRS annual production collection is no doubt a daunting task. This will not be easy. Any more I forgot? I was just going for Core, so no S2 or SE, or Signature for that matter. Although I did list the DGT, it seems to be a critically individual PRS design, as opposed to a Orianthi or Dave Navarro or Al Di Meola model which seem to me to be repackaged CU22/CU24 models,just to keep it simple.

Thanks, dude! The enormity of such a collection becomes apparent just by listing the core models over time. A PRS annual production collection is no doubt a daunting task. This will not be easy. Any more I forgot? I was just going for Core, so no S2 or SE, or Signature for that matter. Although I did list the DGT, it seems to be a critically individual PRS design, as opposed to a Orianthi or Dave Navarro or Al Di Meola model which seem to me to be repackaged CU22/CU24 models,just to keep it simple.
Yeah, I did include a couple SE / S2 because I thought they were important, not because I was trying to be all-inclusive -- that would be ridiculous.

McCartys should be included -- they're not just signature guitars, they're a whole subset of guitars.

I was going over scale lengths, and I noticed that there are actually very few 25.5 scale lengths.

I'm an amateur player that is collecting a few guitars; most of them PRSi (15 of 22 are PRSi). I can also say any new ones will also be PRSi. I'm not rich, but I have a reasonable hobby budget. It's fun and unless the economy takes a dump I should be able to sell for what I have in the used ones. I don't expect to sell the new ones.

I like the idea of contributing to years threads, but I'm not sure I understand the full plan. Are we going to just add photos and features of our contribution no matter the model? Or are we going to limit the entries to guitars that bring a different feature to the collection? I'm thinking we open a year and people contribute when they have a model/feature/color that has not been entered yet. This way it becomes a catalogue of features for that given year instead of having pages and pages of the same model/features. It is conceivable that we could get nearly 100% of the possible entries for most years but it will take time.

Make sure you're buying them all at good used prices so you don't take a hit of you have to sell them.

Man, I'm envious of not only the cash you must have but also the sheer amount of space to house and display something like this. Personally, I can't imaging doing something like this in a million years unless I was filthy rich and had nothing left to truly invest in that would bring dividends, equity, cash-flow etc

I like your idea :)
I'm a player that just like a variety of guitars and now it seems a variety of PRS guitars my idea is one of each Major shape, style, bridge type. Neck wood PRSi

I think I am just a few away ( thats what I think ;) )

I like your idea :)
I'm a player that just like a variety of guitars and now it seems a variety of PRS guitars my idea is one of each Major shape, style, bridge type. Neck wood PRSi

I think I am just a few away ( thats what I think ;) )
I felt like I was there for a while, but then so much started happening I couldn't keep up.

No way I thought this would generate so much feedback - thanks to everyone that chimed in. To clear up any doubts...

My goal is to do this as inexpensively as possible, with few exact model repeats. That being said - I'm aiming for quantity over "quality", and snagging (what I perceive to be) bargains when they turn up. So that means there will be a lot of "filler" in there. SEs, S2s, EGs, CEs... you get the idea.

I don't have kids or any dependents, and am divorced. I don't make the big bucks, but try to be smart with what I do earn - and that includes a budget for fun investments. I grew up on the Virgina Ave guits 25 years ago, and now love the Korean guitars too. If it's a PRS of any kind - game on. An 85 may happen someday, definitely not someday soon :). 86-91 are all accounted for except 1989.

Soon I'll post a list of the years and models I have to date, and what drew me that particular guitar (aside from the "too cheap to pass up" vibe).

The most important thing I want to convey here is: I'm going to have fun with some PRS guitars and tell a story in the process.

Back