ok, I believe I figured out my special purpose here (collection goal)

No way I thought this would generate so much feedback - thanks to everyone that chimed in. To clear up any doubts...

My goal is to do this as inexpensively as possible, with few exact model repeats. That being said - I'm aiming for quantity over "quality", and snagging (what I perceive to be) bargains when they turn up. So that means there will be a lot of "filler" in there. SEs, S2s, EGs, CEs... you get the idea.

I don't have kids or any dependents, and am divorced. I don't make the big bucks, but try to be smart with what I do earn - and that includes a budget for fun investments. I grew up on the Virgina Ave guits 25 years ago, and now love the Korean guitars too. If it's a PRS of any kind - game on. An 85 may happen someday, definitely not someday soon :). 86-91 are all accounted for except 1989.

Soon I'll post a list of the years and models I have to date, and what drew me that particular guitar (aside from the "too cheap to pass up" vibe).

The most important thing I want to convey here is: I'm going to have fun with some PRS guitars and tell a story in the process.
If you were in my living room you would see me giving you a standing ovation!

The most important thing I want to convey here is: I'm going to have fun with some PRS guitars and tell a story in the process.
Sounds like you need to start a blog. I look forward to reading it. You probably already have stories from the 86 - 91 acquisitions.

Ok, got a little bit of free time here, the list so far:

1986 Pre-Standard
1987 Standard
1988 CE
1990 EG2
1991 EG3
1995 CE24
1999 SAS
2003 CU24 and SE EG
2006 CE22
2007 SE Soapbar II Maple
2009 SE CU24 (flat top) and SE Korina Singlecut
2013 SE CU24-7 and SE Bernie
2014 SE CU24 (beveled top)
2015 S2 CU22 Semi Hollow

Note that years 2003, 2009 and 2013 each have two guits. But yeah, you can start to see an image of the lower priced models through the decades. Each one definitely has it's own thing going on, exception being the 88 and 95 CE24s - but they serve as bookends for CE production on Virginia Ave.

1986 Pre-Standard
1987 Standard
1988 CE
1990 EG2
1991 EG3
1995 CE24
1999 SAS
2003 CU24 and SE EG
2006 CE22
2007 SE Soapbar II Maple
2015 S2 CU22 Semi Hollow

Note that years 2003, 2009 and 2013 each have two guits. But yeah, you can start to see an image of the lower priced models through the decades. Each one definitely has it's own thing going on, exception being the 88 and 95 CE24s - but they serve as bookends for CE production on Virginia Ave.

So is this what you already have, or what you're aiming to acquire? I'm confused.

1986 Pre-Standard
1987 Standard
1988 CE
1990 EG2
1991 EG3
1995 CE24
1999 SAS
2003 CU24 and SE EG
2006 CE22
2007 SE Soapbar II Maple
2015 S2 CU22 Semi Hollow

Wow you're already most of the way there!

CEs have their own thing going on, one is Alder, one is Hog :)

So is this what you already have, or what you're aiming to acquire? I'm confused.

What he's got so far:
86-91 are all accounted for except 1989.

Soon I'll post a list of the years and models I have to date,

So I see a lack of full hollowbodies and archtops. Since those are amongst my current favorites, I will of course suggest you start there.

You already have the SAS and CEs I was also going to suggest. Of course, a Swamp Ash Studio wouldn't be a bad choice either, or a SAS NF.

If I were you, to start filling in, I might go for:

'92 Custom, would make a great compare/contrast to your '03.
'93 Custom 22, first year of the model
’94 McCarty, first year of the model
'98 or early '00's Hollowbody. Piezo and birds were optional then, so you can find them at good prices.
Early Santana SE and Tremonti SE, both are landmark models and cheap.

If I were you, to start filling in, I might go for:

'92 Custom, would make a great compare/contrast to your '03.
'93 Custom 22, first year of the model
'98 or early '00's Hollowbody. Piezo and birds were optional then, so you can find them at good prices.
Early Santana SE and Tremonti SE, both are landmark models and cheap.

You just sprayed this place with buckshot - right on the money with predicting CU22, McCarty, and the SEs. Wasn't aware of the hollowbody and definitely want one.

Speaking of early SEs - I am looking for a 3 digit B Santana, or even an A# - but have not seen of the A# Santanas to date.

There are a few from 1993 running around, prior to the "first 100" in 1994. If an early McCarty is on the menu, a '93 would be my choice.

Piezo option was added for the Archtop model in 1999. I think (but am not certain) that also goes for the HB models.

There are a few from 1993 running around, prior to the "first 100" in 1994. If an early McCarty is on the menu, a '93 would be my choice.

Piezo option was added for the Archtop model in 1999. I think (but am not certain) that also goes for the HB models.

I was thinking in the interest of bargain hunting. A '94 McCarty would be more available. Did they do more than the 100? If no, might need to fill that one in later, like '96.

For the HB, I was thinking along the lines of avoiding the piezo, again in the interest of bargain hunting.

It also wouldn't hurt to get a late 90's CU24. It would have the bigger heel and non-shared screw wing tuners. It's an evolutionary step between the Annapolis guitars and the '03 with the Phase II keys. Then of course you need a recent one with the blade and Phase III keys to complete the CU24 lineage.

You just sprayed this place with buckshot - right on the money with predicting CU22, McCarty, and the SEs. Wasn't aware of the hollowbody and definitely want one.

Speaking of early SEs - I am looking for a 3 digit B Santana, or even an A# - but have not seen of the A# Santanas to date.

I think the A serials are unicorns.

Back