Odd Electronics Issue with My DGT

Rick Jones

This is really weird. I went to play my DGT and the neck pickup volume is about half of what it normally is and the tone control isn't working for either pickup. I looked in the wiring cavity but I don't see anything obvious. Could it be one of the capacitors? Has anybody had this issue before?

This is really weird. I went to play my DGT and the neck pickup volume is about half of what it normally is and the tone control isn't working for either pickup. I looked in the wiring cavity but I don't see anything obvious. Could it be one of the capacitors? Has anybody had this issue before?
Can you take a picture of the electronics?

1. Do you own a multimeter?
2. Are you qualified to do soldering work?
3. If neither 1 nor 2, do you have a local tech you can bring the guitar to to have it checked out?
4. If neither 1, 2, nor 3, contact PTC and arrange to send the guitar in for repair, under warranty, or not. See the PRS website for PTC pricing.

1. Do you own a multimeter?
2. Are you qualified to do soldering work?
3. If neither 1 nor 2, do you have a local tech you can bring the guitar to to have it checked out?
4. If neither 1, 2, nor 3, contact PTC and arrange to send the guitar in for repair, under warranty, or not. See the PRS website for PTC pricing.
Yes I have a multimeter and my soldering skills are adequate but not expert.

If the capacitor on the tone control went bad it could make the tone control not work when turned. It is also possible that the tone pot itself may have an issue. I wouldn't expect that either of these would make one pickup quieter.

If you pull up on the tone knob to split the pickups what happens?

On this model there are two volume knobs. Look to make sure everything is still connected to the neck pickup volume pot. It is scratchy when turning it up and down?

I can't seem to be able to add jpg?
If you're a new member to this forum and have not yet posted 10 times, you will not be able to post a 3rd party hosted image to this forum until surpassing 10 posts.
Before going to a tech I'd definitely try Contact Cleaner or Deoxit, although the fact it seems to suddenly be a problem with more than 1 pot is unusual
Would suggest this first, as least invasive. Regards the pots being quiet, the De-Oxit may clear that up.

If the guitar was purchased new, you have certain rights that allow repair to be made by PTC, at cost less than a local tech could do. If the guitar was purchased used, then best to try the local tech.

What you can do that will not void any warranty or do any damage to your guitar is check out the wiring and contacts with the multimeter for continuity. You may not be able to check the capacitor's continuity (and I'd strongly avoid doing so) because it might spike your multimeter. Not saying it will. Might. If possible, also check the output jack for continuity.

With the results, you'll have a better idea of what to say to either a tech or PTC.

If you're a new member to this forum and have not yet posted 10 times, you will not be able to post a 3rd party hosted image to this forum until surpassing 10 posts.

Would suggest this first, as least invasive. Regards the pots being quiet, the De-Oxit may clear that up.

If the guitar was purchased new, you have certain rights that allow repair to be made by PTC, at cost less than a local tech could do. If the guitar was purchased used, then best to try the local tech.

What you can do that will not void any warranty or do any damage to your guitar is check out the wiring and contacts with the multimeter for continuity. You may not be able to check the capacitor's continuity (and I'd strongly avoid doing so) because it might spike your multimeter. Not saying it will. Might. If possible, also check the output jack for continuity.

With the results, you'll have a better idea of what to say to either a tech or PTC.
Thanks, I'll probably send it to PRS, technically it's new, purchased late 2021 so hopefully they'll take care of it. Thanks for the advise.

Back