NWD

Thank you. If I ever master time travel, I am definitely going back to the 12th century and building a castle. Then I'm skipping forward to the '60s and renting it at exorbitant sums to the Rolling Stones to record in. And I'm definitely springing for the moat. Maybe even a double moat.
I'd have to do both time travel and land the time machine in medieval Persia, where they built castles that were remarkably similar to Western castles. That's because I'm diabetic.

The Europeans had no idea what they were doing medically, but remarkably, Persian physicians like Avicenna (11th Century), were treating Diabetes with herbal and other remedies that studies show actually have a positive effect on blood glucose levels, fasting blood sugars, etc., in addition to recommending certain lifestyle changes that do work.

None work as well as insulin, of course - thank you Dr. Banting - but it's interesting that a culture with a continuous history like Ancient and Medieval Persia's (contrasted with what I'll call a more convulsive history, as in the West) , could develop and exploit medical traditions that apparently were able to do some good.

If I could get Walgreen's to deliver my scrips in a time machine, I'd be OK in Europe, but barring that I'd probably do poorly in the West, and might do better managing the disease in the East.

"This is really boring info, Laz. No one cares."

"I know. I'm not letting that stop me, however. A person has to think through the health ramifications of time travel fantasies."

Everything gets expensive!

A 12th Century castle cost £350 if you wanted your standard-model stone castle without too many bells and...uh...battlements. On the other hand, you had to be very rich indeed in the 12th Century to possess the vast sum of £350. Good enough for a Duke or a Count.

"Like the Duke of Earl?"

"Or Count Chocula."

"Does that include the moat?"

"Moats were another £10, but you had to put a fence around them and get extra liability insurance. A super-deluxe, King's castle ran about £1000. A new building for a mere Burger King costs a lot more, right? I mean, you can't even build a White Castle for £350."

"Uh, sure...tell me: How do you know this?"

"I remember a lot of stupid stuff that I occasionally pop into a conversation in the hope of annoying my friends."

"You have no friends."

"Now you know why."

Ok I’m getting old.

So I have been putting them in the wrong orifices? Makes sense now that you say it!

Ah the “brown” sound again.

Still workin' on that mate.

Cheers,

Don’t do it. Make it a NGD.

Back