NMME1D (new modded ME1 day)...

Twinfan

408 Sig Club President
So today's the day that I did what I never thought I would do - I've modded my much loved ME1 :eek:

I've struggled for years to get the guitar to sit right in a band mix, even though in isolation it sounded fantastic and it obviously feels wonderful to play. Even with the tonal issues of it being too bass-y and ill defined on the low end I've used it a lot, and it's now worn in like an old comfy pair of shoes. I used it for the first time in a while at rehearsal a couple of weeks ago, and after receiving complaints (yet again) from my singer that "that guitar doesn't sound right" I've had to do something about it. I have zero issues with my PS Sig, but every time I broke out the ME1 she noticed the sound went to crap. And she was right.

So a used pair of uncovered 59/09s with gold poles came up for sale last week (a perfect match for the ME) and I snagged them - they arrived today and they're now sitting nicely in their new home. I also took the opportunity to switch the wiring to the more recent 50's LP style schematic that PRS are now using, and I've put a nice old paper in oil 0.022uF capacitor in there to replace the original ceramic disc. Along with the wear and tear the guitar is showing, the open coiled pickups just look more "working guitar" to me and it seems to ooze a bit more of a rock and roll vibe.

Initial tonal reports are good. The 59/09s are hotties, with 9.4k in the bridge and 8.5k in the neck, but they sound big and full with less bass than the RP and much more mids coming through. There's still a nice top end sparkle there and any woolliness has now gone. I can't wait to give them a run out in rehearsal, where I'll take both my live guitars to give them a good back-to-back test.

I can't believe I didn't listen to all the RP haters ages ago and do this sooner, I think it's made the guitar so much more useable......

20131121_184816_zpsd050e81d.jpg

Such a gorgeous guitar!!!!

I love the way the blue fades over time... When it has almost faded completely to the natural wood, can I have it??? Please???

Sounds like you did something pretty cool with that one - it's a beauty for sure!

I'm a big fan of the 5x/0x pickups. I like them more than the RPs, too.

I still love that guitar mate. I must admit I never liked the bridge in my ME although I can live with the neck. I put a SD Brobucker in mine and it sounds absolutely killer. The Bro is a 10k, A5 degaussed mag pick up that delivers in spades! Be good to catch up sometime and compare???

I still love that guitar mate. I must admit I never liked the bridge in my ME although I can live with the neck. I put a SD Brobucker in mine and it sounds absolutely killer. The Bro is a 10k, A5 degaussed mag pick up that delivers in spades! Be good to catch up sometime and compare???

Definitely Don, any time. You need to try all my Sigs out too :wink:

I didn't think I'd like the look as much as I do. I dig it! I bet those pups sound great in that guitar. I had them in a TGS#2 that was a monster tone machine.

I've just done some back-to-backs with my gigging Sig and the ME1 is now very much in the same tonal ballpark. I think the main tonal differences come from the physical shapes of the 408s vs 59/09s, but the general tone is pretty similar. Both pickup sets must be using the same magnets and wire specs to my ears...

The open pickups looks fantastic in there, hopefully the rest of your band notice the difference. Are you going to mention the new pickups, or just see if anyone notices?

My bass player will notice, but it's the singer that's the key person. I won't mention it, so I'll just see what she does or doesn't say....

Well done! I liked the RPs at first, but after I made the switch, I couldn't believe it took me so long. Enjoy!

Definitely Don, any time. You need to try all my Sigs out too :wink:

Indeed Dave, and whilst I am extremely grateful to you for giving me the push to finally get my ME I am extremely nervous about trying your guitars.... I know there will be pain and tears!!! :top:

On your part maybe, and hopefully not mine unless you drop the Collection V!!!!

Just back from rehearsal and the results are good! I switched guitars between my 59/09'd ME1 and my PS Sig trem a lot for the first hour or so, and my singer never noticed the difference or complained about the tone - result!

Both guitars are comparable now, just differences in tone between pickups/neck wood/trem and it's that alone - differences. One isn't better or worse than the other overall, which wasn't the case before the pickup swap. I find the ME1/59 has the better cleaner to crunch tone as it's a touch more open sounding, but the PS Sig has the better lead and higher gain tone and it has fatter mids.

Job done, I can now continue playing them to death!

Cool, sounds like you're sorted! On a different note and not to hijack this thread, I don't know why ( well actually I do), but I really need to see some decent pics of your green Sig please mate.

Back